Don't buy NCL excursions

vince_g

In Aug 2017 I bought 4 shore excursions for my Dec 12, 2017 cruise, totaling $888.00. Two in St. Thomas for $170 each, 1 in St. Maarten for $418 and 1 in Tortola for $130. NCL ended up cancelling all the excursions due to the hurricanes.

I did receive a credit on CC for $418, so I figured the remaining ones ($470) would work through their system and eventually be credited. Bought 2 more excursions, which due to seasickness, I ended up cancelling on the ship, They were credited to my folio, so no problem there. Just looking for the balance left over from the original 4 I bought.

Cruise concluded on Dec 23, 2017, and as of January 16, 2018 there have been no further credits. Called and spoke with Nicky in Guest Relations. She immediately started suggesting that I was owed nothing because she saw the 2 shore excursion credits on my folio. Told her I would go back through my records and summarize everything for her, which I did. Sent her a list of bullet points showing everything that transpired, with dates and amounts.

I am annoyed enough with them right now to cancel the 2 cruises I currently have booked with them. Final payment on one of them is Jan. 22, 2018. I called guest relations and left a message for Nicky to review what I sent her, and asking her to call me back ASAP. I told the other rep. Josephine who answered, the way they handle this will decide whether I keep my 2 upcoming cruises or not.

I am the personality type that once I feel harmed by a company, will never give them another nickel of business, so I really would have no qualms about cancelling. Really hope they step up.

it would have been better to work the issue at the time of the first cancellation. Not months after the fact.

That being said, you are now faced with proving that you were not reimbursed for the cancelled excursions.

This is not a reason to “not buy NCL shore ex”. This is a lesson to take care of things in a timely manner,,, and no later than your cruise departure.

when you cancel a shore excursion on the ship, they give you the refund as an onboard credit. they do not put it back on your credit card
Which is exactly what threadstarter said happened with other excursions.

Threadstarter's issue is with two excursions purchased and cancelled BY NCL prior to the cruise.

In Aug 2017 I bought 4 shore excursions for my Dec 12, 2017 cruise, totaling $888.00. Two in St. Thomas for $170 each, 1 in St. Maarten for $418 and 1 in Tortola for $130. NCL ended up cancelling all the excursions due to the hurricanes.

I did receive a credit on CC for $418, so I figured the remaining ones ($470) would work through their system and eventually be credited. Bought 2 more excursions, which due to seasickness, I ended up cancelling on the ship, They were credited to my folio, so no problem there. Just looking for the balance left over from the original 4 I bought.

Cruise concluded on Dec 23, 2017, and as of January 16, 2018 there have been no further credits. Called and spoke with Nicky in Guest Relations. She immediately started suggesting that I was owed nothing because she saw the 2 shore excursion credits on my folio. Told her I would go back through my records and summarize everything for her, which I did. Sent her a list of bullet points showing everything that transpired, with dates and amounts.

I am annoyed enough with them right now to cancel the 2 cruises I currently have booked with them. Final payment on one of them is Jan. 22, 2018. I called guest relations and left a message for Nicky to review what I sent her, and asking her to call me back ASAP. I told the other rep. Josephine who answered, the way they handle this will decide whether I keep my 2 upcoming cruises or not.

I am the personality type that once I feel harmed by a company, will never give them another nickel of business, so I really would have no qualms about cancelling. Really hope they step up.

I can't help with your question, Vince, but just wanted to express my shock and dismay for the number of folks who don't read original posts thoroughly enough before posting an "answer". :rolleyes:

Hope it all works out for you!

Which is exactly what threadstarter said happened with other excursions.

Threadstarter's issue is with two excursions purchased and cancelled BY NCL prior to the cruise.

The person who posted that obviously cannot read.

dispute with credit card company.....had to do this with another venue in past

I had to do the same thing with NCL. The MasterCard rep had MUCH less trouble than I in getting them to 'understand' the issue :rolleyes: (being intentionally oblivious is a common customer relations tactic). They actually credited me more than I was asking for once the MasterCard rep was looped in.

it would have been better to work the issue at the time of the first cancellation. Not months after the fact.

That being said, you are now faced with proving that you were not reimbursed for the cancelled excursions.

This is not a reason to “not buy NCL shore ex”. This is a lesson to take care of things in a timely manner,,, and no later than your cruise departure.

As I said, with one credit appearing on my bill, that put me at ease that the others would follow. I guess I expected that their systems were better than they are.

There is no need to get mad at accounting errors. I would only give NCL maximum two calls and one week to sort it out. After that, I would just file a credit card dispute and let NCL proves to credit card company that the canceled excursion was properly refunded.

These cancellations were prior to the cruise starting, it sounds like? When and how were you notified. Did they happen to get credited to the other person?

You got refunded for the St. Maartin , it appears. I'll assume, you have already verified there are no credit card credits. Weren't the ports changed as well. I'd think that would show you did go on any tour?

Very strange

I agree. We deal with companies that have their systems in order. No need to hand hold someone to do what is expected in the first place. There are too many other companies that have their act together. We never book excursions through NCL, in the first place. They are way too overpriced. Best of luck getting this straightened out.

I had to do the same thing with NCL. The MasterCard rep had MUCH less trouble than I in getting them to 'understand' the issue :rolleyes: (being intentionally oblivious is a common customer relations tactic). They actually credited me more than I was asking for once the MasterCard rep was looped in.

Yes very true about the oblivious.. the rep at Guest Relations was quite robotic IMO. She sent me a copy of my folio, and the cover letter in the email referenced my 9/24 voyage on Epic instead of my 12/12 voyage on Gem. Only problem is I did not sail Epic on 9/24. If they can't even get that right, it worries me about how they will handle this.

These cancellations were prior to the cruise starting, it sounds like? When and how were you notified. Did they happen to get credited to the other person?

You got refunded for the St. Maartin , it appears. I'll assume, you have already verified there are no credit card credits. Weren't the ports changed as well. I'd think that would show you did go on any tour?

Very strange

Yes NCL canceled these back around November. We sailed on 12/12, and other person did not register a credit card when we sailed. They never did notify me with an email or anything. I just happened to see in vacation summary, that all the shore excursions were zeroed out. The credit for $418 was dated November 9, so of course I figured the rest would come through. Hating this right now!

There is no need to get mad at accounting errors. I would only give NCL maximum two calls and one week to sort it out. After that, I would just file a credit card dispute and let NCL proves to credit card company that the canceled excursion was properly refunded.

This is good advice. Don’t stress yourself, let them duke it out.

I would of followed up with NCL before you sailed. If you received your first refund on 9th November and sailed on 12th December I’d be chasing them. Certainly speak to your CC company to dispute.

Not ideal but every business makes mistakes, you’d soon run out of cruise lines or any businesses if you won’t deal with them over issues you encountered