Visa for China

saltpot

It depends on which city and where you come from and go.

I did one in December.

1) There is a 24 hour transit visa, but you cannot leave the airport.

2) There is a 72 or 144 hour visa available at the airport. You must be arriving from one country and departing to a different country. So if you fly through Tokyo, to Shanghai, board a ship that first port of call is Tokyo, this option WILL NOT WORK. You are also limited to the metro area that you arrive in. So if you arrive into Shanghai, you must stay in the Shanghai area, and have to leave from Shanghai. So no flying into Beijing, then going to Shanghai to board your cruise.

You follow the signs at the airport and stand in line. You MUST have either your boarding pass leaving China or your airline itinerary to show that you are departing within the time frame, and meet the different country requirement.

All that said, if you have a visa, you will not be standing in line for a long time at the airport. I was in line for about a hour, while those with visas were flying through the other lines.

This also only applies to certain countries citizens, so look online for the restrictions.

But other than the long wait, it was pretty easy.

I had been re-routed with a stop over in Shanghai instead of through Seoul. So I had to use this (change was 2 days before flying). Worked well, and I got to visit Shanghai Disney. :D

We have a one day stop in China on an upcoming cruise. There is so much differing information, not really sure if we need a Visa. Has anybody had a one day stop without a Visa? Thanks Jenny

You are not giving us enough information. What port are you visiting? What kind of Passport do you have?

Hank