Jamaica Issues State of Emergency VS Port of call: Falmouth (Jamaica)

Master98

Travel warning from Government of Canada:

"On January 18, 2018, a state of emergency was declared by the Jamaican government for St James Parish, which includes Montego Bay, as a result of a significant increase in violent crime. Military forces have been deployed to the area in an attempt to stabilize the situation.

If you are staying at a resort in the affected area, restrict your movements beyond resort security perimeters. If you do travel outside these perimeters, use transportation arranged or provided by the resort. Use organized tour operators for excursions and travel to and from the airport. If you are in the affected area, be extremely vigilant, follow the instructions of local authorities and monitor local news."

Do you think NCL will skip our stop in Falmouth next week?

If you scroll down a bit, you can read 2 other threads full of guesses. :D

"On January 18, 2018, a state of emergency was declared by the Jamaican government for St James Parish, which includes Montego Bay, as a result of a significant increase in violent crime. Military forces have been deployed to the area in an attempt to stabilize the situation.

If you are staying at a resort in the affected area, restrict your movements beyond resort security perimeters. If you do travel outside these perimeters, use transportation arranged or provided by the resort. Use organized tour operators for excursions and travel to and from the airport. If you are in the affected area, be extremely vigilant, follow the instructions of local authorities and monitor local news."

Many threads about this. Very little chance that the port is skipped.

I will be boarding this Saturday and I sent correspondence to Royal Caribbean regarding the situation in Jamaica and am disappointed I have not received a response. The news is disconcerting – Canada has issued a travel warning, as has the U.S., and British tourists have been warned to “stay in resorts” in Jamaica amidst the security emergency. Yes, I have read the accounts from tourists in this forum who were just recently there and felt “safe.” However, traveling with my children and grandchildren, I’m not willing to take any risk where Americans have been warned to “exercise increased caution.” Those cautionary considerations are not in line with a relaxing vacation. Disappointingly, I have cancelled our tours in Jamaica and we plan on staying within the port at Falmouth. Basically, our cruise has been downgraded to one less destination.

I find it negligent that Royal Caribbean will not re-route us to a different port where we can feel safe and leave the port area without having to “exercise increased caution.” The majority of the travel alerts have been issued for the Montego Bay area specifically – which is neighboring to Falmouth and the location of the majority of the tours.

I will be boarding this Saturday and I sent correspondence to Royal Caribbean regarding the situation in Jamaica and am disappointed I have not received a response. The news is disconcerting – Canada has issued a travel warning, as has the U.S., and British tourists have been warned to “stay in resorts” in Jamaica amidst the security emergency. Yes, I have read the accounts from tourists in this forum who were just recently there and felt “safe.” However, traveling with my children and grandchildren, I’m not willing to take any risk where Americans have been warned to “exercise increased caution.” Those cautionary considerations are not in line with a relaxing vacation. Disappointingly, I have cancelled our tours in Jamaica and we plan on staying within the port at Falmouth. Basically, our cruise has been downgraded to one less destination.

I find it negligent that Royal Caribbean will not re-route us to a different port where we can feel safe and leave the port area without having to “exercise increased caution.” The majority of the travel alerts have been issued for the Montego Bay area specifically – which is neighboring to Falmouth and the location of the majority of the tours.

While this is interesting, you are posting to the Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) board. Maybe talk to those on the RCCL board about your concern.

It is not as if these criminals just appeared overnight and then a travel warning was issued. This has been ongoing.

No different than the south side of Chicago or neighborhoods near the French Quarter of New Orleans...just two of an infinite number of examples.

Go on a ship excursion that does not go to Montego Bay and have a great day.

Sailing on the Escape in April. All Jamaica excursions disappeared from the cruise planner except for the Best of Ochos Rios, which oddly enough I have had booked for a while. Guess we will see.

Everything disappeared because you booked an excursion which conflicts with other times. Not because the one tour you booked is safer.

We’re sailing in April and have a full list of Ocho Rios shore excursions

Sailing on the Escape in April. All Jamaica excursions disappeared from the cruise planner except for the Best of Ochos Rios, which oddly enough I have had booked for a while. Guess we will see.
Sailing on Jade in March, and all Jamaica excursions are still available.

yes, once you book an excursion, all others for that same port are no longer viewable for you.