Itineraries - False Advertisement?

Beach Life 1

How is NCL allowed to still advertise cruises for Eastern and Southern Caribbean when they know they will not be going to those ports? They are still advertising Eastern and Southern Cruises for October, November, December of this year, and January and February of next year. I know they can change itineraries, but when they know definitely they are not going to certain ports ahead of time, why are they still advertising for those cruises?

Interesting question.

They are covered if they change ports once you buy - (that form we all agree to where they can just about do anything they want - LOL).

But, to advertise it BEFORE you agree... I am thinking that is going to cause some problems at some point. Should prove interesting down the road.

They haven’t announced port changes for Jan and Feb.

Not sure on the other cruises but a search on NCL does have some ports on the eastern like St. Thomas.

On a side note St. Thomas will start taking ships sooner than later and they are looking at maybe by the end of October.

I wouldn’t call it false advertisement based on the fluid situation on these islands and we are still in hurricane season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess they can still advertise Eastern and Southern itineraries because there are other island options they can switch to besides SJ and ST that are still considered Eastern and Southern! Remember, they can hand you a piece of paper as you board telling you the itinerary has changed, and you really have no recourse.

I guess they can still advertise Eastern and Southern itineraries because there are other island options they can switch to besides SJ and ST that are still considered Eastern and Southern! Remember, they can hand you a piece of paper as you board telling you the itinerary has changed, and you really have no recourse.

Yes, I know they can change the itinerary, but when they know changes have already been made, and still advertise something else, I think that is wrong. Look at NCL December 3rd cruise for Eastern Caribbean. Still advertising as such, but the people on that cruise have already received emails stating it has been changed to Western Caribbean, and lists the new ports. Why then, is it still being advertised as Eastern Caribbean? Why not advertise as Caribbean Cruise; due to hurricanes ports are unsure at this time. They don't advertise like that, because people would not book a cruise. What's happening now with the hurricanes is certainly an unfortunate and rare occurrence, but NCL should try to be a little more honest in their advertising.

OP, if you think it is false advertising, then take them to court.

Or don't book a cruise....

I doubt that advertising copy can be changed at the drop of a hat; especially when the cruiseline has no idea what the situation is anymore then you do (or maybe they do have a better idea because I am sure they are receiving projected timelines of port openings).

Also, from past experiences with cruising to ports after a major hurricane has hit an area, if the ship is allowed to make the port stop, it will. There may be no pier and tenders will have to be used. There may be no excursions other then come take a tour of the devastation, but the stop will be made.

The port fees will be pumped back into the local economy even if passengers elect not to leave the ship.

And because I know someone will belligerently demand an example, cruise January 2006 after Cozumel was destroyed by a hurricane in the fall of 2005. No piers, we had to tender. Many of the businesses had been destroyed and not yet reopened. The reefs which brought in so many visitors for diving and snorkeling were destroyed (and will take centuries to return).

I'm not sure how far out they have sent notices at this point for new itineraries. I'd be really surprised if they have changed them into December already since they truthfully have no idea which ports will be open by December.

The short answer to the question is because they put the itineraries out many months before the hurricanes and already had a significant number of bookings based on the old itineraries. They have some responsibility to the pre-existing bookings to retain the old itineraries if they can. So they really should only be changing itineraries a few weeks ahead of time as they get a better grasp on how quickly ports are re-opening.

I believe key west is back open already and Saint Martin isn't far behind. If they can find enough open ports to maintain the eastern itinerary they should do that. Therefore just making a general statement to re-classify all eastern itineraries to western for the next 5 months would be irresponsible on their part.

But if they have officially changed itineraries then yes, they should be advertising the new itinerary.

For my wife and I whatever NCL does with our 14 day Southern in February, really doesn't matter that much and we will as always have a great time. It would be nice to see the Islands get healed and the people safe and secure once again. HOWEVER:

To see San Juan still on the itinerary for cruises within at least the next four months is silly and impossible. If the lines mean that the ships will dock to discharge emergency aid and leave doing basically a stop and drop visit that should be stated as being a humanitarian stop only.. (This goes for all affected islands as well)

PUERTO RICO:

Before any form of tourism can even be considered the electrical service must be in working order. That means over 16 thousand miles of transmission and local lines must be REPLACED because they have been totally destroyed. Thousands of utility poles, transformers and hundreds or high voltage towers must be brought in by ship and then installed. Utility trucks by the hundreds and skilled crews to man them have to be brought in. Four thousand miles of rebuilding a month is being impossibly optimistic.

Once power is restored before it can be of any use the people have to be ready to accept and use it. Their homes, hotels and businesses must first be repaired and made ready to be electrified. Their electrical appliances, from lights to refrigerators to air conditioners to the very basic neon signs saying "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" must be repaired or in most cases replaced before the first tourist can step foot on the Island and buy so much as a cold beer.

Hundreds of miles of roads must be repaired or rebuilt after floods and lanslides have made them impassable preventing trucks from delivering needed emergency supplies. The lack of working trucks and truck drivers isn't helping as well.

Thousands and thousands of flood damaged and totalled vehicles of all types from private cars to cabs to buses must be cleared away and then replaced. MONEY-MONEY-MONEY

The Islands vast armada of revenue producing fishing and tourism boats for the most part are at the bottom of the water or piled up like cordwood on the shores and beaches. MONEY-MONEY-MONEY

An interview this morning with a lifetime resident of La Perla said that as of yet they have not had so much as a drop of water brought into the area. La Perla is the crowded poverty stricken area just below the walls of the forts within walking distance to where the ships dock in Old San Juan.

Dire predictions of a mass exodus of possibly a miilion or more from Puerto Rico to the States mostly to Florida.

Weather forecast is also problematic and we are still in the tail end of the hurricane season and now there is rain and possibly heavy rain forecast for the next few days.

I hate being a naysayer but realistically looking at the current situation I cannot imagine anything other than humanitarian aid getting off ships in San Juan for many months.

At least put a GIANT DISCLAIMER on all their ads for cruises with itineraries that continue to include ANY of the islands that have been severly damaged.

If a few hundred or for that matter ONE person makes a big enough stink about FALSE OR DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING you can be sure the press will jump all over it. EVEN WITH DISCALIMERS

If the stink reaches a politician or two the small print at the end of a booking contract saying changes can be done at the will of the line will undergo MAJOR scutiny by lawmakers who already target cruise lines for not having six foot high railings.

Whatever happens it is good to see forums like CC where people can discuss issues and inform each other of good along with not so good issues.

Happy sailing to all.

bosco

For my wife and I whatever NCL does with our 14 day Southern in February, really doesn't matter that much and we will as always have a great time. It would be nice to see the Islands get healed and the people safe and secure once again. HOWEVER:

To see San Juan still on the itinerary for cruises within at least the next four months is silly and impossible. If the lines mean that the ships will dock to discharge emergency aid and leave doing basically a stop and drop visit that should be stated as being a humanitarian stop only.. (This goes for all affected islands as well)

PUERTO RICO:

Before any form of tourism can even be considered the electrical service must be in working order. That means over 16 thousand miles of transmission and local lines must be REPLACED because they have been totally destroyed. Thousands of utility poles, transformers and hundreds or high voltage towers must be brought in by ship and then installed. Utility trucks by the hundreds and skilled crews to man them have to be brought in. Four thousand miles of rebuilding a month is being impossibly optimistic.

Once power is restored before it can be of any use the people have to be ready to accept and use it. Their homes, hotels and businesses must first be repaired and made ready to be electrified. Their electrical appliances, from lights to refrigerators to air conditioners to the very basic neon signs saying "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" must be repaired or in most cases replaced before the first tourist can step foot on the Island and buy so much as a cold beer.

Hundreds of miles of roads must be repaired or rebuilt after floods and lanslides have made them impassable preventing trucks from delivering needed emergency supplies. The lack of working trucks and truck drivers isn't helping as well.

Thousands and thousands of flood damaged and totalled vehicles of all types from private cars to cabs to buses must be cleared away and then replaced. MONEY-MONEY-MONEY

The Islands vast armada of revenue producing fishing and tourism boats for the most part are at the bottom of the water or piled up like cordwood on the shores and beaches. MONEY-MONEY-MONEY

An interview this morning with a lifetime resident of La Perla said that as of yet they have not had so much as a drop of water brought into the area. La Perla is the crowded poverty stricken area just below the walls of the forts within walking distance to where the ships dock in Old San Juan.

Dire predictions of a mass exodus of possibly a miilion or more from Puerto Rico to the States mostly to Florida.

Weather forecast is also problematic and we are still in the tail end of the hurricane season and now there is rain and possibly heavy rain forecast for the next few days.

I hate being a naysayer but realistically looking at the current situation I cannot imagine anything other than humanitarian aid getting off ships in San Juan for many months.

At least put a GIANT DISCLAIMER on all their ads for cruises with itineraries that continue to include ANY of the islands that have been severly damaged.

If a few hundred or for that matter ONE person makes a big enough stink about FALSE OR DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING you can be sure the press will jump all over it. EVEN WITH DISCALIMERS

If the stink reaches a politician or two the small print at the end of a booking contract saying changes can be done at the will of the line will undergo MAJOR scutiny by lawmakers who already target cruise lines for not having six foot high railings.

Whatever happens it is good to see forums like CC where people can discuss issues and inform each other of good along with not so good issues.

Happy sailing to all.

bosco

Thank you. You have said it more eloquently then I could. Nobody is disputing the fact that ports have to be changed. My point was, how do they advertise something they know to be false?

PUERTO RICO:

Happy sailing to all.

bosco

Hi bosco,

I am on the same cruise as you are in February. We have quite an active roll call going currently with lots of good and friendly people participating. If you have any interest in taking a look and/or participating in it..the first page (of many...over 1300 posts so far) is located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2384272

Joe

Other cruise lines in addition to NCL are still showing Eastern Carib itineraries available to book in November and December. I think everyone knows that stops in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten are unlikely in the next few months and those itineraries will have to be changed but it's probably more complicated to manage than we realize. Maybe there should be a disclaimer that the advertised itinerary is subject to change.

Hi bosco,

I am on the same cruise as you are in February. We have quite an active roll call going currently with lots of good and friendly people participating. If you have any interest in taking a look and/or participating in it..the first page (of many...over 1300 posts so far) is located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2384272

Joe

Will do. This is our first on NCL and we are looking forward to it..

bosco

Boscobeans - have they advised you of your new itinerary yet? When the cruise is still months away, they can't possibly predict where they will and will not be able to stop yet. Can you really expect them to continue marketing your cruise as - we have no idea where we are stopping yet but please book anyway. Until the cruise gets into the foreseeable future, I don't see another option than for them to leave everything as it is.

Boscobeans - have they advised you of your new itinerary yet? When the cruise is still months away, they can't possibly predict where they will and will not be able to stop yet. Can you really expect them to continue marketing your cruise as - we have no idea where we are stopping yet but please book anyway. Until the cruise gets into the foreseeable future, I don't see another option than for them to leave everything as it is.

I for one don't really care that much as to what the itinerary is changed to, and fully understand that ports even when not damaged from hurricanes or local storms or WHATEVER can and are changed for lots of reasons.

It has happened to us over the past 17+ years with not one complaint from my wife or me.

But as I stated in my post: "At least put a GIANT DISCLAIMER on all their ads for cruises with itineraries that continue to include ANY of the islands that have been severely damaged."

I am sure YOU and most experienced cruisers are aware of the small print port cancellation information on your cruise contract, BUT NOT EVERYONE MAY BE AS EXPERIENCED AS YOU and letting people know that when they plunk down 4-5 thousand or more on a product they may not get exactly what they ordered, FOR WHAT EVER REASON..

A SIMPLE DISCLAIMER telling people ahead of time OF POSSIBLE AND UNAVOIDABLE CHANGES to any of the NINE Caribbean cruises scheduled for this coming JANUARY would just be good business practice.

No one is implying they use your words,"we have no idea where we are stopping" but there are ways of giving people a sensible warning especially if the cruises under question are only 90 days from departure.

No fortune teller needed to see that in the "foreseeable future" there are very high odds that some of the ports on those 9 cruises will be changed.

bosco

No fortune teller needed to see that in the "foreseeable future" there are very high odds that some of the ports on those 9 cruises will be changed.

bosco

I agree, but I guess that's why I don't see that a disclaimer is needed. Future and current bookers should have the common sense to foresee that the ship can't dock at a closed port. If you don't have enough interest in your vacation to do 5 minutes of research, then buyer beware. That person is just as likely to book during hurricane season because it's cheap and be surprised when weather issues pop up.

I agree, but I guess that's why I don't see that a disclaimer is needed. Future and current bookers should have the common sense to foresee that the ship can't dock at a closed port. If you don't have enough interest in your vacation to do 5 minutes of research, then buyer beware. That person is just as likely to book during hurricane season because it's cheap and be surprised when weather issues pop up.

I guarantee that a goodly number of persons on the street haven't the slightest notion of what the Islands have and are still experiencing.

A lot of people will do plenty of research checking prices from one website to another before booking a cruise during a bad season for cruising.

Not everyone is a member of or lurks about on CC and most haven't any idea of the small print even after making a booking with an online agency.

OMO

bosco

I for one don't really care that much as to what the itinerary is changed to, and fully understand that ports even when not damaged from hurricanes or local storms or WHATEVER can and are changed for lots of reasons.

It has happened to us over the past 17+ years with not one complaint from my wife or me.

But as I stated in my post: "At least put a GIANT DISCLAIMER on all their ads for cruises with itineraries that continue to include ANY of the islands that have been severely damaged."

I am sure YOU and most experienced cruisers are aware of the small print port cancellation information on your cruise contract, BUT NOT EVERYONE MAY BE AS EXPERIENCED AS YOU and letting people know that when they plunk down 4-5 thousand or more on a product they may not get exactly what they ordered, FOR WHAT EVER REASON..

A SIMPLE DISCLAIMER telling people ahead of time OF POSSIBLE AND UNAVOIDABLE CHANGES to any of the NINE Caribbean cruises scheduled for this coming JANUARY would just be good business practice.

No one is implying they use your words,"we have no idea where we are stopping" but there are ways of giving people a sensible warning especially if the cruises under question are only 90 days from departure.

bosco

they do have a simple disclaimer on their website all you have to do is search for it . ps it's in the bottom left corner /NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE LEGAL NOTICE

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/freestyle-cruise/legal-notice

This statement is on every itinerary page of every cruise available to book. I don't think there are many people who would book a cruise without looking at the itinerary first. This is not hidden in small print at the end of the page. It is right under the itinerary map.

Please Note:

• Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.
  • Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.
  • Check your specific sailing for exact departure and arrival times. All times are local to the port.

This statement is on every itinerary page of every cruise available to book. I don't think there are many people who would book a cruise without looking at the itinerary first. This is not hidden in small print at the end of the page. It is right under the itinerary map.

Please Note:

• Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.
  • Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.
  • Check your specific sailing for exact departure and arrival times. All times are local to the port.

You are right.

Everyone books with the cruise line and everyone reads every word of every page that comes up on their computer especially the ones that after 2 or 3 pages of fine print ask if you have read and fully understand the contract. Click yes to continue..

Granted that the statement "{ Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.)"

is found in among a few other statements, but to the uninitiated that's the same as a statement in a catalog stating "(The Item you ordered may appear different than in the catalog)"

PT Barnum was known for his "THIS WAY TO THE EGRESS" sign, and I bet a lot of people will still fall for it today.

Sorry but to me good business practice would be to make the probability better known...

Sorry, It is only my opinion, and possibly no one else's.

You can also go through an entire booking on several online sites right up to the payment stage without seeing AYTHING about itinerary changes.

bosco