? about FOS

It's quite expensive... starts at about $.65 per min....a bit less if you buy a "package" of minutes...

The connection is slow and not always dependable, especially for downloads of any size.

If there's any way he can talk the professor into letting him do it before you leave, that's the way to go!

It's quite expensive... starts at about $.65 per min....a bit less if you buy a "package" of minutes...

The connection is slow and not always dependable, especially for downloads of any size.

If there's any way he can talk the professor into letting him do it before you leave, that's the way to go!

Thank you so much for your help and quick response! I personally would have talked to the profesor a couple of weeks ago, however, for some reason he waits until the last minute for EVERYTHING!

Gizzy, I hope you mean you are flying on Saturday and are sailing on Sunday. Just don't want you to have issues with your flights home.:o

I totally understand the college student deadline thing as I have a sophomore in college who is always doing things last thing. Maybe your son can send his homework before you leave Florida?

We sail this Sat on FOS and I just found out that my College student son has an online homework assign due while we are out to sea!

Does anyone know the charges for using internet and any specifics on that???

Thank you so much for your help and quick response! I personally would have talked to the profesor a couple of weeks ago, however, for some reason he waits until the last minute for EVERYTHING!

I guarantee you that the professor will accept the assignment EARLY.

:rolleyes:

We are leaving in 2 weeks and my son also has to send some homework electronically to his teachers (and he's only in the 8th grade). I have him type out everything offline on the laptop. Then we just log in, copy & paste, and then hit send. That saves lots of time and you use less internet minutes. Hope this helps!

I just did an internet search for "internet cafe near port" in your various port stops, and there are several in each port.

In the past I have often purchased an internet package so I can check my email and post "live from" threads to CC. To save minutes/$$, I bring my laptop and download email to read when I am offline, compose responses, and then send during a later connection time. Ditto for the live posts: I can write them on my computer, then post them fast when I have a connection, rather than pay for the time I am writing.

If your student doesn't need to be online for research, but only to transmit the paper, you might not even need that; should only take a couple of minutes to send by email (even with slow onboard connections).

Be sure he has some time to enjoy the cruise!:D

We sail this Sat on FOS and I just found out that my College student son has an online homework assign due while we are out to sea!

Internet packages available while on board...

New price as of April 10, 2010 is $.65 per minute

Pre-Paid Internet Packages:

$ 35 = 60 minutes or 58 cents a minute

$ 55 = 100 minutes or 55 cents a minute

$ 75 = 150 minutes or 50 cents a minute

$100 = 250 minutes or 40 cents a minute

$150 = 500 minutes or 30 cents a minute

If he can take his own lap top then he can type off line which will save $$$.

I think your college-age son has two options:

1.) turn in his assignment early before you leave, and then he can enjoy his vacation

2.) pay to use the ship's Internet (very slow!) or use an Internet café in one of your ports, and have him pay that bill.

Either way, this isn't your problem. No offense intended (we have a daughter in University, so we know that of which we speak) - but he needs to work this out for himself.

Have fun on Freedom. :)

We are lucky to have some C&A coupons but always also buy an internet package. Many of my husband’s clients or my colleagues do not even realize we are out of our offices or out of town. (And we like it that way).

The connection is slow and I’m not sure how proficient it will be if the document is very large or has lots of attachments.

I suggest looking onto an internet package.

Good luck

M

I think your college-age son has two options:

1.) turn in his assignment early before you leave, and then he can enjoy his vacation

2.) pay to use the ship's Internet (very slow!) or use an Internet café in one of your ports, and have him pay that bill.

Either way, this isn't your problem. No offense intended (we have a daughter in University, so we know that of which we speak) - but he needs to work this out for himself.

Have fun on Freedom. :)

WOW ... I'm thinking they asked about internet rates and not who should pay or how they should raise their children.

When the DH and I went on our cruise in 2008, I was taking 3 college classes and since I knew I would be gone during that time period, I approached all three professors, told them I would be gone and asked if I could turn in my assignments either before I left or when I got back. ALL three said they appreciated my professionalism in coming to them BEFORE the cruise and all agreed to let me make up the work. Then, right before the cruise, Hurricane Ike struck and the school was closed for a few weeks so everyone ended up being behind anyway that semester :) Tell him to go to his profs and ask if he can get an extension. Most are very very understanding but don't like to be told after the fact :D Have fun on your cruise :)

WOW ... I'm thinking they asked about internet rates and not who should pay or how they should raise their children.

WOW... Yes! This "child" is an adult now. Was giving options and offering advice concerning the question that was asked. Does everyone who replies on these boards always answer without giving advice or counsel? Do you? :)

And why single me out? Others gave advice, options, and opinions as well.

Well I could point out that it's completely possible that their college age student is still 17, therefore a child. Or I could say that even though my daughter is nearly 30 and a mother herself, that she is still my child, and if she needs my help she will get it. But the fact remains that the OP merely asked about internet charges and speed, not for anyones opinion of child rearing.

WOW... Yes! This "child" is an adult now. Was giving options and offering advice concerning the question that was asked. Does everyone who replies on these boards always answer without giving advice or counsel? Do you? :)

And why single me out? Others gave advice, options, and opinions as well.

Yes, the child is an adult.........but he will always be their little boy no matter how old he is and they will always worry about him.

Every time the phone rings in our home and the caller ID specifies our son's number.......I get a knot in my stomach hopping it's nothing bad.

I had an assignment due during the time I was on the Explorer last Thanksgiving. The Professor was very understanding that I would be at sea on vacation. I wanted to take the exam before I left, but no problem, he'd been on a cruise, and told me he'd email it to me, and once I retrieved it from the school email, I had 90 minutes (the class period) to complete it, and upload it back to him. I printed it off with no problem in the internet cafe, completed the exam on the printed paper (cafe happened to be empty that day), logged back online, and added the answers to the attachment and resent it to him, all in less than 45 minutes.

I think I used than 5 minutes of my internet time. We usually buy the 100 minute package.

If you son doesnt want to carry his textbooks, its a good idea to either copy the pages that will be covered for the exam, or scan the pages into a file on a laptop or email the scanned pages. It's tedious work, but it beats lugging 10-15 extra pounds around.

Pre-Paid Internet Packages:

$ 35 = 60 minutes or 58 cents a minute

$ 55 = 100 minutes or 55 cents a minute

$ 75 = 150 minutes or 50 cents a minute

$100 = 250 minutes or 40 cents a minute

$150 = 500 minutes or 30 cents a minute

Archived