Should Illness be Compensated (specificallyQueen Victoria Christmas Canaries Cruise)

olippold

Following on from the recent post about missed ports being compensated (BTW we missed Stockholm on a Baltic cruise a few years ago, and received no compensation, though we didn't ask for any), what about compensation where a cruiser becomes ill during the cruise and is confined to their cabin?

This has just happened to us on the Christmas Queen Victoria cruise to the Canaries. My wife became ill after 6 days with a very high temperature and cough that developed into bronchitis. She had to visit the doctor on Christmas Day and was confined to our cabin for several days. She therefore missed all the Christmas festivities; she was offered the Christmas dinner, but was unable to eat anything other than a few crackers. She's still ill now, almost 3 weeks later. We're making a claim against our travel insurance, but we can only get about £50 back against the cost of the visit to the medical centre and prescribed antibiotics. Cunard have said (when we spoke to the purser) that she cannot claim for the time ill and confined to our cabin. However, friends of ours have been in similar situations with Celebrity Cruises (though norovirus instead of bronchitis) and they received fairly substantial sums of money in compensation for their ruined holiday.

We feel that Cunard are fault here, either by letting someone board with something particularly nasty, or, more likely, by having the illness already on board. I love Queen Victoria and we've sailed on her many times, but at times it felt like a plague ship - coughing could be heard throughout the ship, by both crew and guests (and it was a particularly hacking cough, so not just your day-to-day cough), and when I visited the shop to buy cough medicine and paracetamol, I noticed virtually every other person in there was buying the same. We were told by a member of staff that they had had the same cough several weeks ago, seen the doctor and only been given 1/2 a day off. We had been looking forward to this holiday since spring when we booked it, paid a lot of money for it, and have basically had our whole Christmas ruined!

We're going to write to head office anyway, but it would be interesting to know other people's thoughts on compensation, and if anyone else was on the same cruise, and whether they noticed that levels of illness on this cruise seemed to be particularly high.

Winter is cold and flu season everywhere. If your wife became sick 6 days into the trip, quite likely she was exposed to her illness before you boarded. Sorry that happened, but I don't think any compensation is due.

I think you will not get compensation for the lost time because of many factors associated with the Bronchitis diagnosis. Acute viral bronchitis has an incubation period of 4 to 6 days from exposure to symptoms. Bacterial Bronchitis has a incubation period of up to 15 days from exposure to symptoms. Then there is the recurrent type and irritant exposure type of bronchitis. A medical professional will assess for this in the patient's history. All in All, I believe there would be plenty of reason for the cruise line and the insurance to deny a claim for lost time/enjoyment on the cruise because of the illness based on the fact it could possibly have been acquired while on land prior to the voyage unless there was a specific rider in the insurance policy for such an occurrence.

That said, it does sound line a viral outbreak was occurring on the ship and being spread through contact with the passengers and crew that were ill. It seems to me that if the crew that had the diagnosis were sent back to work they should have worn a face mask to prevent mucus from being expelled into the environment which spreads the virus. Also they should have instituted additional precautions like with Noro to prevent spread of the illness. Proving this to the cruise line executive in a post cruise complaint is again a problem. But your complaint may prompt the cruise line to review its infectious disease outbreak precautions.

To claim for compensation for anything you have to admit liability or negligence or both and think you will find it very difficult to prove that Cunard have been either. Like has previously been said winter is the season for colds/coughs wherever you are and with 2000 people confined into a ship its pretty certain that some will get coughs/colds whatever the ship.

When we took out our holiday insurance we were given the option of paying a little more and would have been able to claim for missed ports and days confined to the cabin. I haven't taken it before but am considering it after reading where compensation is not paid.

We were on this cruise and have to say that we didn’t notice a coughing epidemic.

You probably wouldn't necessarily notice it unless you'd had the cough yourself! I hadn't really noticed it, but my wife pointed out all the people coughing to me, and once she'd pointed it out, I did myself notice a lot of people coughing.

You probably wouldn't necessarily notice it unless you'd had the cough yourself! I hadn't really noticed it, but my wife pointed out all the people coughing to me, and once she'd pointed it out, I did myself notice a lot of people coughing.

That's quite a common psychological occurrence; it's termed "Confirmation Bias".

So as soon as something is pointed out to someone that person will notice it more, even when actually it's not occurring any more than it normally does.

But the fact that you had not noticed an increase in coughing on the ship was because there most likely wasn't one; but as soon as it was suggested to you, that lead you to believe it to be true because your bias is confirming what you want to believe.

Oddly, I've just been reading a book that happens to cover that very topic.

Compensation ?? Because you got sick ? I find this concept beyond absurd. People get sick, at home, on vacation, on planes, in hotels, at Disneyland, in Times Square, at the Eiffel tower ~~~~~~~ everywhere.

And ?? somehow ??? compensation should come from S O M E W H E R E ????????

n this cruise seemed to be particularly high.
Following on from the recent post about missed ports being compensated (BTW we missed Stockholm on a Baltic cruise a few years ago, and received no compensation, though we didn't ask for any), what about compensation where a cruiser becomes ill during the cruise and is confined to their cabin?

This has just happened to us on the Christmas Queen Victoria cruise to the Canaries. My wife became ill after 6 days with a very high temperature and cough that developed into bronchitis. She had to visit the doctor on Christmas Day and was confined to our cabin for several days. She therefore missed all the Christmas festivities; she was offered the Christmas dinner, but was unable to eat anything other than a few crackers. She's still ill now, almost 3 weeks later. We're making a claim against our travel insurance, but we can only get about £50 back against the cost of the visit to the medical centre and prescribed antibiotics. Cunard have said (when we spoke to the purser) that she cannot claim for the time ill and confined to our cabin. However, friends of ours have been in similar situations with Celebrity Cruises (though norovirus instead of bronchitis) and they received fairly substantial sums of money in compensation for their ruined holiday.

We feel that Cunard are fault here, either by letting someone board with something particularly nasty, or, more likely, by having the illness already on board. I love Queen Victoria and we've sailed on her many times, but at times it felt like a plague ship - coughing could be heard throughout the ship, by both crew and guests (and it was a particularly hacking cough, so not just your day-to-day cough), and when I visited the shop to buy cough medicine and paracetamol, I noticed virtually every other person in there was buying the same. We were told by a member of staff that they had had the same cough several weeks ago, seen the doctor and only been given 1/2 a day off. We had been looking forward to this holiday since spring when we booked it, paid a lot of money for it, and have basically had our whole Christmas ruined!

We're going to write to head office anyway, but it would be interesting to know other people's thoughts on compensation, and if anyone else was on the same cruise, and whether they noticed that levels of illness o

......We feel that Cunard are (at) fault here, either by letting someone board with something particularly nasty, or, more likely, by having the illness already on board......it would be interesting to know other people's thoughts on compensation.....

My hunch is that you "feel that Cunard" are at fault simply because you want to apportion blame! Conversely, let me suggest their action in confining you to cabin was appropriate and necessary to safeguard the health of other passengers!

My thoughts on compensation....you have no chance, because there is no case to answer. Yes, it was a hugely unfortunate state of affairs and I am genuinely sorry your cruise was ruined but Cunard carry no blame for that.

Compensation ?? Because you got sick ? I find this concept beyond absurd. People get sick, at home, on vacation, on planes, in hotels, at Disneyland, in Times Square, at the Eiffel tower ~~~~~~~ everywhere.

I have to agree with you hihilo.

Two years ago (this was NOT a Cunard ship) there was norovirus on board. Even though I was very cautious, I got that dreaded norovirus. I was quarantined to my cabin for 5 days. Also my husband was quarantined and he was never sick. Room service food (their choice of bland food for both of us) was given for the 5 days.

My insurance nor the cruise line gave me anything in compensation. I did a lot of writing but the answer was always NO. Therefore, I would say that you save your time and energy as there will probably be no compensation.

Please report back to let us know whether or not compensation was given. Thanks

Normally I'd agree with you, but I'm suggesting the illness was already present on board - we've explicitly been told crew members that we were in contact with, and with what appear to be the same illness weren't given sufficient time off, i.e. they weren't allowed to have more than an afternoon off ill.I would say that if true, that is someone's fault.

It's plainly obvious olippold that you intend writing and complaining to Cunard but without proof and hearsay of staff you have no chance and think you are wasting your time but it is your time and your decision but think you will be totally unsuccessful and dont waste any of your money taking legal action. Nobody was to blame you can catch a flu/cough/cold virus anywhere at this time of year and mostly catch it through airborne particles from another person so Cunard or any other ship/shopping centre or wherever you may be can be held negligent and no matter how much cleaning of the ship if somebody new gets on the next cruise with the virus it will be spread again.

Many people have taken a virus on board ship, and have not known, a virus can take days to develope. At check in we are given a health form to fill in, do we always tell the truth when filling the form in? This form is a legal document a could be used against the people who have not been truthful. Always easy to blame some other person.🤑

We're going to write to head office anyway, but it would be interesting to know other people's thoughts on compensation, and if anyone else was on the same cruise, and whether they noticed that levels of illness on this cruise seemed to be particularly high.

I am sorry but I am failing to understand why you think a cruise line should compensate you for illness. It is not the cruise line that has caused the illness but most probably other passengers who have brought germs on with them. Do you expect a hotel or an airline to compensate you it you go down with some thing. I do hope you are feeling better now.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but unfortunately, you have the burden of proof to get any compensation. You just can't say you caught this onboard and it's all Cunard fault without proof. You would need written documentation which would be very hard to get. But you sure could write Cunard and see if any thing could be done. I wouldn't count on any monetary compensation, but you might ask for a future cruise credit because you are and state, "very loyal to Cunard and want to cruise with Cunard again in the future." A lot of times they will grant you a credit for good relations on a case by case basis. Keep you letter to the point & polite, be specific in what you want and non-emotional. You never know. You might be pleasantly surprise. I wish you the best.

I have just come off the QM2 where a cough and cold bug was doing the rounds. I got it myself and I am still recovering. Most people I met had it, or got it. Including our waiter who had two days off work. I have friends just off the QE and they have got it as well as they said many on QE were ill.

I put it down to cruising in winter. The last three winter cruises we have taken on Cunard there has been some outbreak of sickness of one kind or the other. So much so I am not going to do winter cruises again.

Now I am retired now so do not need to go away in winter as I did when I was working. Too many bugs around at this time of the year so best stay home.

In many parts of Asia, it's considered common courtesy to wear a surgical mask around wherever you go if you have a cough or cold. I think this is a great custom and would make a lot of sense on a contained environment like a cruise ship!

On my voyage on QM2 in 2017, I was at the buffet and saw a well-dressed gentleman do the following: cough and hack into his hands, pick up a piece of fruit, inspect it, put it down, cough into his hands, pick up another piece of fruit, put it back, etc. It made me think twice about the buffet.

In many parts of Asia, it's considered common courtesy to wear a surgical mask around wherever you go if you have a cough or cold. I think this is a great custom and would make a lot of sense on a contained environment like a cruise ship!

On my voyage on QM2 in 2017, I was at the buffet and saw a well-dressed gentleman do the following: cough and hack into his hands, pick up a piece of fruit, inspect it, put it down, cough into his hands, pick up another piece of fruit, put it back, etc. It made me think twice about the buffet.

Quite common really. I actually saw a lady (perhaps I should revise this term given what I am about to relay) pick up a slice of cake at the buffet, eat part of it, turn her nose up and proceed to put it back. Now I trust one of the staff would notice it and remove it and I trust fellow passengers would be sensible enough to not pick up half eaten cake, but still I thought if she was so bold to do this, what else does she do that risks shipboard hygiene?