Diving Knife Allowed?

Noreen411

Hi

Not sure if that’s the correct name for it, but my husband mentioned he has a small knife maybe 4 inches that he used to take when he would snorkel/dive in the past. He heard about someone getting bitten by a barracuda (I think that’s what he said) recently so was wondering if he could bring this knife with him on our next cruise.

Will he be allowed to bring it on the ship to take on our snorkel trips? If so, should he put it in the checked luggage rather than carry on?

Will it be allowed on the plane? Checked instead of carry on?

We will be on Celebrity Reflection

I told him it may not be allowed but I would check with the cruise critic experts

Thank you in advance for your answers

Noreen

This is listed on celebrity's website .... thought it might be helpful.

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are is permitted on board. The items not permitted on board will be taken by ship’s Security. Items such as dive knives must be reported to ship’s personnel at the time of boarding. They may be permitted on board, but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore. Firearms are not allowed onboard. Guests who declare to ship’s personnel the presence of a firearm (on their person or in their luggage) will be given the opportunity to dispose of the firearm prior to boarding. Guests who fail to declare the presence of a firearm may be denied boarding.

This is listed on celebrity's website .... thought it might be helpful.

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are is permitted on board. The items not permitted on board will be taken by ship’s Security. Items such as dive knives must be reported to ship’s personnel at the time of boarding. They may be permitted on board, but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore. Firearms are not allowed onboard. Guests who declare to ship’s personnel the presence of a firearm (on their person or in their luggage) will be given the opportunity to dispose of the firearm prior to boarding. Guests who fail to declare the presence of a firearm may be denied boarding.

Thank you; that is exactly what I needed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you; that is exactly what I needed

I've always used a dive knife less than 4". That is a cut off in Celebrity's (And RCCL's written policies). On Celebrity, I've never had the dive knife cause a bag to get held by security, so the knives make it to the room. Then when leaving the ship at the first port, I ask to speak with either the Security Chief, or Deputy. These will be ship's officers, not the security personnel wearing hte blue uniforms. I have them look at the knives, and invariably they approve them. I get their name, because then on return from each port, the question likely comes up.

On RCCL, and once on Celebrity, I had them want to keep the knives. It's not that big a deal, they hold them, and I can pick them up upon leaving when I need to. At the end of the cruise, you pick them up wherever confiscated items are. That process is a hassle, but not insurmountable.

Celebrity will definitely follow that process for dive knifes 4" and over.

Harris

Denver, CO

It may depend on the port of embarkation. My husband had a small (about 4") knife in his checked luggage when we boarded in Barcelona. He (and quite a few others) were summoned to the "naughty room" where knives were confiscated, and only returned portside upon debarkation.

I've always used a dive knife less than 4". That is a cut off in Celebrity's (And RCCL's written policies). On Celebrity, I've never had the dive knife cause a bag to get held by security, so the knives make it to the room. Then when leaving the ship at the first port, I ask to speak with either the Security Chief, or Deputy. These will be ship's officers, not the security personnel wearing hte blue uniforms. I have them look at the knives, and invariably they approve them. I get their name, because then on return from each port, the question likely comes up.

On RCCL, and once on Celebrity, I had them want to keep the knives. It's not that big a deal, they hold them, and I can pick them up upon leaving when I need to. At the end of the cruise, you pick them up wherever confiscated items are. That process is a hassle, but not insurmountable.

Celebrity will definitely follow that process for dive knifes 4" and over.

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you for sharing the experience bring the knife.

Did you fly with it too?

Thank you

It may depend on the port of embarkation. My husband had a small (about 4") knife in his checked luggage when we boarded in Barcelona. He (and quite a few others) were summoned to the "naughty room" where knives were confiscated, and only returned portside upon debarkation.

Didn’t think about different rules in different ports

We will be getting on the ship in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thank you

I suspect that different ships rather than different ports are the issue. Celebrity's choice of wording allows for ships' discretion: "They may be permitted on board"

I had a small Swiss Army knife taken from me at embarkation — maybe two inches long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which is really silly considering they supply you with a half dozen at dinner every night:rolleyes:

To clarify regarding the airlines, the only way this could be brought with you would be in your checked luggage. It absolutely will not be allowed on board with you or in your carry on. It will be confiscated at security and not returned to you if it is in your possession - and you will likely be in for a lot of questioning by TSA.

Didn’t think about different rules in different ports

We will be getting on the ship in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thank you

The reason that I mentioned the port is because of the way the issue was handled. We had already sailed when we were called down to the "room" where a long line of passengers were waiting. The security staff seemed confused about the reason for the bags being flagged; my husband was asked to open his suitcase and he and the crew member had to more or less guess what the offending object might be, since there wasn't a bottle of alcohol or anything obvious in the bag. He spent a good few minutes rooting around until he found the knife in his shaving kit.

That led us to believe (and it is only speculation) that the luggage had been scanned and flagged before it was loaded onto the ship and that the port's security rules had been applied.

The reason that I mentioned the port is because of the way the issue was handled. We had already sailed when we were called down to the "room" where a long line of passengers were waiting. The security staff seemed confused about the reason for the bags being flagged; my husband was asked to open his suitcase and he and the crew member had to more or less guess what the offending object might be, since there wasn't a bottle of alcohol or anything obvious in the bag. He spent a good few minutes rooting around until he found the knife in his shaving kit.

That led us to believe (and it is only speculation) that the luggage had been scanned and flagged before it was loaded onto the ship and that the port's security rules had been applied.

The bags would be scanned as they are loaded on board and anything - even if not clearly identified at the time - that would appear suspicious would be cause to have that piece of luggage tagged for closer checking with the passenger. The more frequent being containers that would hold alcohol, etc. It may not be the port's security rules so much as the ships'. Just my speculation.

Hi

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

When I showed this to Scott, he is going to leave the knife home.

Much easier that way

Thank you again

Good choice. Personally, I've never scuba dived without a dive knife but I've never snorkelled with one.

I had my dive knife held in security with my shipped suitcase in San Juan. I was called down to the naughty room where after opening my suitcase, they took my knife and gave me a receipt to recover the knife each time i left the ship for diving. My card had a special warning which alerted the security each time I returned to the ship to take the knife back to be held by security.

I had a Skean Dhu confiscated on embarking on a RCCI cruise and returned when we disembarked. It seemed silly as I was given a bigger, sharper knife with my steak every evening. Now I bring one with a fake plastic blade. Always pack as hold luggage on flights.