First time Carribean Cruise

Eveglos

Hi all

We are considering taking a cruise to the Carribean next winter.Not sure if it's for us,so considering just doing 7 nights to see how it goes. We'd really appreciate advice as to which Cruise companies are good.

Our budget is about 2 k per person.

Thanks in advance

Eve

Eve, most people cruising for the first time have reservations/concerns.

Once they have cruise most people also want to book another cruise.

A seven day Caribbean cruise is what many people do.

I would look for cruises that leave/return from Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

May I ask your ages because that is one factor in a recommendation.

Also do you want more of an upbeat type of atmosphere or one that is on the quieter side?

Keith

Agree -- if you can't fly directly to the cruise port, a 7 day cruise is not worth the hassle. Our first cruise was 14 days -- which I had to talk my husband in to. After that he was hooked.

Please give us some more information as to what you like to do -- i.e. -- sight see, beaches, etc.

Apologies for my absence- I did reply to your feedback but not sure where it went! I'm very good on Trip Advisor but am struggling with this forum!

My husband and I are 65 and 59- pretty fit and active and seasoned travellers. I think something more low key would suit us.We basically enjoy sightseeing but happy to chill too.Not keen on 14 days option because we have a low boredom threshold.Jetlag doesn't bother us as we quite often spend a week in the Carribean but see a cruise as a way of experiencing different islands.

I think a TUI cruise would be our worst nightmare,having listened to people who have cruised with them.

We do have a cruise to Norway booked with P&O in May so guess that will decide one way or another if it's for us,but have to say we're very much looking forward to it.

Just find the choices quite overwhelming for the Carribean so would really welcome some advice. As I say,I don't think we're quite ready for a two week cruise yet but appreciate people thinking its a long way to travel for a week.

Eveglos, a seven day cruise will be fine. We know many people who come across the pond for a seven day cruise.

Similarly my wife have gone across the pond to spend a week in London or a week in Paris so really didn't understand the concern with seven days.

I would recommend arriving a couple of days before though.

A couple of cruise lines that come to mind based on what you have said are Celebrity Cruise Line and Princess Cruise Line.

Take a look at their web sites and search under 7 day Caribbean Cruises out of Florida and that might be a good start.

Keith

You might take a look at cruises out of San Juan. These cruises tend to visit more ports than 7 day cruises out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL offer a number of itineraries. Celebrity is likely going to appeal to you more than Royal Caribbean or NCL. If you do decide on a San Juan departure, I'd suggest spending a few days before or after to explore Old San Juan.

Princess and Holland America should be considered, but they do not have itineraries sailing out of San Juan.

A 7 day cruise is really 6 days, as you don't normally board until past noon, and you have to disembark early on the last day. Given that the costs of flying, pre-cruise hotel etc. is the same for a 7 or 14 day cruise, I see no point at all in suffering the whole airport 'experience' for 6 days. Obviously, if you have limited vacation days available, then I can understand why a 7 day cruise may have some appeal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all replies and I'm going to check out your recommendations. As I say,we have a low boredom threshold and would rather travel home feeling we could have stayed longer! But who knows after our 7 night cruise to the Fjords we may be converted!

Time is also a factor as we have a two week touring holiday to Vietnam and Cambodia booked next March.

Eve

For a first-timer, 7 days is probably the way to start. Yes, flying long distance for just 7 days is a hassle, but it sounds like you are just testing the waters to see if you even like cruising. After quite a bit of cruising, we much prefer at least 14 days.

We've had no problems being bored on any cruise--you can do as much or as little as you like.

I suggest Princess or Celebrity; but we have enjoyed many other lines too. We have really enjoyed Norwgian's newer ships and for lots to do, look at Royal Carribean's big ships.

Our favorite itinerary is the Southern Caribbean, but harder to do for 7 days unless you leave from San Juan. Eastern and Western cruise are fine too--remember that some of the Eastern ports are still recovering from the hurricanes last year.

Both P&O and Tui/Marella offer fly cruise packages, which really is the way to go to the Caribbean from the UK- no worries about flights, hotels- even your luggage disappears at your airport and is next seen at your cabin. It usually works out much cheaper, too, unless you are very skilled at booking flights etc... and no need for an ESTA card, as they don't visit USA islands.

I've been on Marella Celebration, and although there was nothing wrong with the actual cruise (Red Sea), it's not a ship I'd choose. I believe they use a 2nd ship as well- we saw her in Barbados last year, and she looked fine... we'd be happy on that.

We go with P&O, on Ventura, and it takes 28 days (no flying)...we've yet to be bored, because there's so much happening all the time.

See how you enjoy all the facilities on board in Norway. :)

I don't get the hate for a 7 day cruise. Many, many people take a vacation that long, or less, with lots of travel. That's still a great vacation.

I agree with cruising out of San Juan. You will see a ton of ports that way. It is also low-key as the youngsters are less likely to be on a longer and further away cruise.

I don't get the hate for a 7 day cruise. Many, many people take a vacation that long, or less, with lots of travel. That's still a great vacation.

I agree with cruising out of San Juan. You will see a ton of ports that way. It is also low-key as the youngsters are less likely to be on a longer and further away cruise.

My issue with a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean is this.

Day 1 - Drive to airport and book into airport hotel

Day 2 - Fly for 9 hours. Board ship and try to stay awake due to jet lag.

Days 3 to 7 - Enjoy cruise, once jet lag is over.

Day 8 - Off ship, and 9 hour overnight flight home.

Day 9 - Drive home trying not to fall asleep with jet lag.

Day 10 - Feel crap all day.

Just not worth it for 7 days. Just my opinion of course.

Thanks Joebucks!Cool cruiser-guess I'm lucky I don't seem to be too badly affected by jetlag,but I can see what you mean.

The 7 day cruises offered by P&O seem to be very popular though as availability is limited for next January,whereas the 14 nights are still giving lots of cabin options

We've gone via Fort Lauderdale once, and it wore us out- 3 hours before flights in the UK; 9 hours flight, and then a particularly difficult immigration check..and the time difference meant that we were ready for bed, we were so tired...but going home was worse, because we had to be off the ship by 9.30am and hang about the airport until the evening.

One thing that's crucial for us- both Marella and P&O don't kick you off the ship at 9.30am, but you stay on board until your plane is coming in, so you can swim, sunbathe, have lunch etc.

We've gone via Fort Lauderdale once, and it wore us out- 3 hours before flights in the UK; 9 hours flight, and then a particularly difficult immigration check..and the time difference meant that we were ready for bed, we were so tired...but going home was worse, because we had to be off the ship by 9.30am and hang about the airport until the evening.

One thing that's crucial for us- both Marella and P&O don't kick you off the ship at 9.30am, but you stay on board until your plane is coming in, so you can swim, sunbathe, have lunch etc.

Yes, definitely an advantage over other cruise lines. However, if you construct your own holiday, you can build in hotels pre and post cruise, which means that you can cruise with other, better (?) , cruise lines.

Good point wowwzz. What would you recommend as the best cruise provider to the Caribbean? I’m coming round to P&O purely for convenience as we can fly from our local airport, but we’re definitely open to other alternatives

Eve

This is my first go at reply/review. I hope Im in the right place. Royal Carribbean. Whats going on? How in the heck does a cruise line with so many negative and horrible reviews get an editors rating so high? We have always cruised with Celebrity but thought we might book a cruise on Voyager of The Seas. We've paid for it unfortunately. The reviews and thats nearly every one have been horrible. From the ships condition to horrible food and under staffed bars. Price gouging on drinks and just about every other hidden costs. We are devastated. We cant honestly believe that a ship could be so bad in so many ways. Yet it has a high editors rating. We wont cruise P&O nor MSC or Norwegian all because of all the stories we read. Our expectation is that after our cruise on Voyager of the Seas that we wont be cruising Royal Carribbean again either. You just cant beat the Celebrity fleet of ships and the ratings confirm that. My question to the Editor is. Have you ever sailed with Royal Carribean or more specifically the Voyager of the Seas? How do you justify your rating.(n)(n)

Good point wowwzz. What would you recommend as the best cruise provider to the Caribbean? I’m coming round to P&O purely for convenience as we can fly from our local airport, but we’re definitely open to other alternatives

Eve

I don't think anyone, even those with considerable experience of different lines and ships (and I certainly do not have that experience) can answer that question. Best entertainment, best dining, best cabin?. And that's even before looking at your budget.

P&O has a lot of benefits. Lots of flight options, as you say. Plus the on board currency is sterling, autotips are less than most other lines, and drink prices are reasonable. However, 99.9% of the passengers will be British, and the entire cruise is geared to British tastes, from the menu to the entertainment. The overall effect is similar to staying in an English country hotel, but with better weather.

Some like this British feel - personally I find it a little suffocating.

My personal first choice is Princess, as I find it a good 'middle of the road line. Good passenger mix, not to over the top in the way of on board gimmicks. But, I would want to find a deal that includes a drinks package if you like the odd drink or three!

As always, just my opinion - others will no doubt want to add theirs.