What would you do??

rjrice1

A family member is getting married this year.. A huge wedding... over 400 guest . Cost for 3 of us to fly, hotel, rental, vacation time and ect.

or

Do a 7 day southern cruise from San Juan (husband 490 yr bday (in dog yrs)...

Already decided.. and the there will be a few less guest at the wedding.. (will decline the invitation too)

:ship::ship::ship::ship::ship::ship:

We learned a long time ago after moving out of state that we could not be home for all of the "happenings". There is forever a wedding, a shower, a baby, an anniversary, a "big" birthday, a retirement party, a holiday etc....in addition to all that everyday stuff there is a trend of people getting married at a destination away from their home, so everyone at home is also traveling to be there.

With only so much vacation time and money allotted towards vacations each year, we all have to make hard choices and for us it will always be the quality time for us as a family (DH, DS & myself). DS is in High School now and it is just a matter of time before he is off to college. Make the right decision for you and enjoy yourself!!!!

A family member is getting married this year.. A huge wedding... over 400 guest . Cost for 3 of us to fly, hotel, rental, vacation time and ect.

or

Do a 7 day southern cruise from San Juan (husband 490 yr bday (in dog yrs)...

Already decided.. and the there will be a few less guest at the wedding.. (will decline the invitation too)

:ship::ship::ship::ship::ship::ship:

I agree with your decision.

There's always the, "Oh, we already had a cruise booked. Have a wonderful day. We'll be thinking of you." decline.

There's always the, "Oh, we already had a cruise booked. Have a wonderful day. We'll be thinking of you." decline.

I was going to say the same thing! Send your nephew and his wife a lovely wedding gift and they'll forgive you!

Unless it was my child I would never fly to a wedding. I have a million things I would rather spend my money on. Plus if they have 400 guests they won't miss you, believe that. At my sisters wedding I barely talked to her except to get some pictures at the church, just too many people for them to interact with.

So glad you all agree.

I am the only family member that lives "far away" and my vacation is for "me and my husband"

This wedding is not my type either... first the had an engagement party "$30,000 at a winery.. next save the date party...

none of which I attended. Even their own web site. (bride family has the money)

Too many people I will not know and don't care to know. (lol)

Just saw you cruised on the ship I am in Dec vs the wedding

How was it.. any tips??

do you know if the cabins have mini fridge.. not a deal breaker ..

Edited by rjrice1

eh, depends how close you are honestly. If he's just inviting you for the heck of it, or you're like his favorite uncle or something? He's grown, I'm sure he'd be fine either way. Sounds like there won't be a lack of guests either.

I almost didn't go to my little brothers graduation . he said he didn't care either way. I decided i'd go anyway. Ended up sitting next to his wife and mom who had a pretty gnarly cold going on. Few days later, hello tingly throat, etc, etc. One of the rougher ones I've had. worth it? Probably not. lol

If I was close with my family member I’d go to the wedding. If it was a distant relative or someone I didn’t have a relationship with, of course I’d choose the cruise.

It would be pretty heartless to skip out on an actual loved one’s wedding because your job has a bad vacation policy. Also, nobody goes to the wedding for themselves except the bride and groom. The fact you bring up that these types of weddings aren’t “your thing” is irrelevant. It’s about the couple.

Depends how close you are to this person makes it a higher priority, the resources and effort required to get there make it a lower priority. With that said, weddings are overrated, and vacations are underrated. There's always someone getting married. With the way marriage works anymore, you'll probably get a chance to attend his next wedding, Send a gift, and go on vacation.

I would have to agree with everyone else and go with the vacation. My husband and I live out of state from everyone we know well. Our personal lives always come first since traveling out of state for events is a hassle and it is costly. We still visit once or twice a year and give people plenty of notice if they want to see us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums