Which is generally more expensive...the Grandeur or Anthem?

Just out of curiosity, I was comparing prices on 9-day cruises out of Baltimore and Bayonne. I didn't expect that the Anthem would come in several hundred dollars cheaper than the Grandeur - for the same class of room (balcony) and a cruise this July. Is this typical? I just assumed that the larger the ship, the more expensive.

Just out of curiosity, I was comparing prices on 9-day cruises out of Baltimore and Bayonne. I didn't expect that the Anthem would come in several hundred dollars cheaper than the Grandeur - for the same class of room (balcony) and a cruise this July. Is this typical? I just assumed that the larger the ship, the more expensive.

Yes this is typical for balcony cabin as there are much fewer balcony on a smaller/older ship than they are on a newer/larger ship. On the other hand, for inside stateroom, Grandeur is usually cheaper when everything else being equal.

edit: it will be similar if you compare balcony price on a Freedom/Voyager class against the balcony price on a Radiance/Vision class for a Med or a Baltic cruise.

Edited by Friend100

I sail the 12 day itineraries on both regularly.

Interiors will be more on Anthem.

Ocean View will be about the same.

Balconies are consistently less on Anthem. Amount to sell governs this. When I take a 12 day on Anthem, a true balcony (not obstructed) costs about $250-300 more than an interior on Grandeur for the same basic itinerary at the same time of year.

When I booked at Next Cruise while on Anthem, I was told it was because they have so many balconies to sell.

Balcony price on Grandeur has become out of my reach.

As Merion Mom said, the amount of balconies on Grandeur put them at a premium.

The fewer balconies on Grandeur as a factor in why they are cheaper on Anthem makes sense. I just would not have expected that and figured the larger the ship (especially one considerably larger) would be more expensive across all room categories.

Never been on Anthem, but now I'm tempted to try it sometime, especially since, like Baltimore, it's fairly close to me. Actually, I've never been on a Voyager class ship, let alone Quantum. So I'll see how I like the Adventure in a few weeks and then determine if I'd like to try an even larger ship.

Thanks for replies!

Don't let the size or number of passengers scare you. No cruise line is as good as Royal in spreading passengers around so their ships always feel less crowded. I'm not counting the premier lines such as Seaborn that only has 1000 or less passengers.