So what is a Nominal amount.

simonpjd

So how much do you think a ‘nominal amount’ is. I think of it as an amount that you don’t really notice going. Maybe 5 or 10 dollars.

Cunard obviously have a different idea.

Come along for a wine tasting session, they say. For a nominal amount. How much.

Blimey it is 120 USD.

Maybe that shows who their target passenger is. Someone for whom 120 USD is a sum they don’t even notice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought that had stopped that nonsense a while ago but clearly not then.

From what I recall of previous cruises, they used the term "nominal amount" for everything.

Another one of their phrases that makes my blood boil is when they put "for your convenience", when what they clearly mean is "for our convenience".

And "guest' as well. Okay, they are not alone in using "guest". If I'm a guest then you won't want paying then, will you ?

That amount seems totally unreasonable.

We are WC Platinum and received (and used) an invitation to the wine tasting on our QM2 crossings last December that was totally free. I was under the impression that it was normally about $35.

That amount seems totally unreasonable.

We are WC Platinum and received (and used) an invitation to the wine tasting on our QM2 crossings last December that was totally free. I was under the impression that it was normally about $35.

I believe what the OP is referring to is called the "Fine Wine Seminar". I haven't attended one of those myself, but it is priced at $120 in the voyage personaliser and I have seen that seminar promoted using that "nominal fee" phrase in the daily programmes. The complimentary wine tasting offered as a World Club benefit is a different event. I'm not positive, but I suspect the wine tasting offered as the World Club benefit may be the same as what is currently being offered for $45 in the voyage personaliser as the "Tutored Wine Tasting".

Money is a funny thing. I get irritated when asking the price of anything and the person replies adding "just" before stating the amount. Another niggle is instead of saying four hundred and ninety-nine pounds they say four, nine, nine. I am tempted to say I've got a fiver keep the change.

Regards John

Money is a funny thing. I get irritated when asking the price of anything and the person replies adding "just" before stating the amount. Another niggle is instead of saying four hundred and ninety-nine pounds they say four, nine, nine. I am tempted to say I've got a fiver keep the change.

Regards John

Indeed. All suite/sofa/bed/kitchen/furniture companies do that.

But the "saving" is always said as the amount; "This sofa now four four nine. Save three hundred pounds".

Indeed. All suite/sofa/bed/kitchen/furniture companies do that.

But the "saving" is always said as the amount; "This sofa now four four nine. Save three hundred pounds".

To emphasise the value of a trip, cruise lines might quote a fare as £1500. Which is per person travelling based on two persons sharing or £3000. Then they say you get $150 on board credit, which is per cabin and only £112 or £56 per person. The temptation is to deduct 150 from 1500 and be thinking 1350.

Regards John

If it really is fine wine then I do think that is a nominal amount. I would first want to know which wines we are tasting though.

It also depends how much wine you are getting for that. On the one and only wine tasting I attended (a free one when I reached Platinum level) I think I might have received about a glass of wine in all. If the fine wine course is the same, that's a lot of money for just one glass!

It would also be a waste of money for me as one glass of wine would be enough to leave me totally tipsy. They laughed at me at the dinner table that night.

I believe what the OP is referring to is called the "Fine Wine Seminar". I haven't attended one of those myself, but it is priced at $120 in the voyage personaliser and I have seen that seminar promoted using that "nominal fee" phrase in the daily programmes. The complimentary wine tasting offered as a World Club benefit is a different event. I'm not positive, but I suspect the wine tasting offered as the World Club benefit may be the same as what is currently being offered for $45 in the voyage personaliser as the "Tutored Wine Tasting".

To update this previous post of mine about wine tasting pricing, we are currently on board QM2 and just received our invitations to the Complimentary Wine Tasting Event as Platinum members of the Cunard World Club. The invitations state “a charge of $30.50 will apply” if we wish to bring a guest who is not a Platinum or Diamond member.