Sun vs Getaway - Motion

GA Dave

Last ship we were on was the Sea, about the same size as the Sun. Next cruise is on the Getaway, a substantially bigger ship. Is there anyone who has sailed on both the Sun and the Getaway? If so, do you think there is any difference in the motion of the two ships in normal seas? I have read articles that say the newer, bigger ships are more stable, but would like to hear it from someone who has actually experience it.

I haven't been on either of Sun or the Getaway, however I am cruising on the Getaway this July. I have been on the Grandeur of the Seas and the Disney Dream during tropical storms. The Grandeur of the Seas is one of the smallest RC ships and the Disney Dream is very large. There was a huge difference. We hardly noticed on the Dream, but the Grandeur was a different story. It was horrible, we were woken up during the night and sick for a lot of the trip. I think the Getaway is a little larger than the Dream was too, so I would think the Getaway sails a lot smoother than the smaller ships.

It all depends on the sea conditions, I was on a Trasatlantic cruise on the Jade ( sistership of the Sun) with 30+ waves and 40 kph winds and it moved alot from Funchal to Bermuda, you had to hold on to the rails to move about the ship , but it was smooth sailing from Bermuda to Tampa with calmer seas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been on both. The Sun went through some rough water one evening. They took a route on the Atlantic side of the islands rather than the Caribbean side. It was pretty rough, especially up top. Even the performers were losing their supper.

The Getaway never went through waters as rough as we experienced on the Sun. But overall, I felt very little movement on the Getaway, and a bit more on the Sun. I'm not prone to seasickness, so it never bothered me.

I am inclined to motion sickness and have never had to use my patches on the Getaway (have sailed her about 5 times). The smaller ships are the ones I use my patch medication although my last recent trips on the Sun and Jade weren't bad so only used OTC Dramamine 3 days each of the 7 day trips.

I am inclined to motion sickness and have never had to use my patches on the Getaway (have sailed her about 5 times). The smaller ships are the ones I use my patch medication although my last recent trips on the Sun and Jade weren't bad so only used OTC Dramamine 3 days each of the 7 day trips.

Perfect! Thanks for this info. I had a severe mastoid infection when I was young, so motion sickness can hit me at times. The worst is spinning (like at the theme parks, i.e., Men In Black, etc.), but I know the ship cannot spin that fast! I have already bought the wrist bands hoping those are all I need, as I do not want to miss out on any of my UBP!! :cocktail:

It all depends on the sea conditions, I was on a Trasatlantic cruise on the Jade ( sistership of the Sun) with 30+ waves and 40 kph winds and it moved alot from Funchal to Bermuda, you had to hold on to the rails to move about the ship , but it was smooth sailing from Bermuda to Tampa with calmer seas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, the Jade is a Jewel class ship, no way a sister to Sun (120' longer, almost 20% more GT). The Norwegian Sky and the Costa Victoria are sisters to the Norwegian Sun.

Perfect! Thanks for this info. I had a severe mastoid infection when I was young, so motion sickness can hit me at times. The worst is spinning (like at the theme parks, i.e., Men In Black, etc.), but I know the ship cannot spin that fast! I have already bought the wrist bands hoping those are all I need, as I do not want to miss out on any of my UBP!! :cocktail:

Mid ship, low deck moves the least on any ship - the Getaway will be WAY more stable than the Sun, but there will be some Front to Back motion. If you have trouble, go to the Waterfront and eat something. 27 days on the Bliss & only had trouble one afternoon, when I was FWD on Deck 17, as soon as I went down, I felt ok.

Last ship we were on was the Sea, about the same size as the Sun. Next cruise is on the Getaway, a substantially bigger ship. Is there anyone who has sailed on both the Sun and the Getaway? If so, do you think there is any difference in the motion of the two ships in normal seas? I have read articles that say the newer, bigger ships are more stable, but would like to hear it from someone who has actually experience it.

I’ve been on both, and am prone to sea sickness. Outside of not sitting right on the aft to eat, I never had a problem with either. I am not a fan of aft dining rooms....

I'm a walking pharmacy for motion sickness when I go on cruises...prescription behind the ear patches, Dramamine, Bonine, MotionEaz, Seabands, and ginger tablets. As soon as I feel a little "iffy" I'm visiting my pharmacy. It's the worst feeling and can easily ruin a day/evening! Good luck to you and smooth sailing!

I never was on the Sea but I was on the NCL Dreamward a few times. Maybe sister ships. If so, those ships had the most enormous sickening motion. Don't compare that ship to any other NCL ship. I remember bouncing and bobbing around like a cork. It was awful......both times. I remember seeing lots of sick people.

I've been on both the other ships and I think you will be fine. I never even noticed movement.