How Bad Could 5 Days on a TA Be?

karinad

We're booked for our first trans-Atlantic cruise for the Royal Princess in September. One reason I picked this cruise for our first TA was that there are just four consecutive sea days for the crossing--between Belfast and St. John's, Newfoundland.

We're booked for our first trans-Atlantic cruise for the Royal Princess in September. One reason I picked this cruise for our first TA was that there are just four consecutive sea days for the crossing--between Belfast and St. John's, Newfoundland.

I'm checking that cruise out from S. England. I liked the one that left from Copenhagen but the air to there is complicated. Getting to England is much simpler.

In September almost two years ago we did a 16 (or 17?) day TA from Copenhagen to Boston. I was nervous about it, as I can get seasick in bad weather, but my husband (who never has any problem on a ship) really wanted a long sea voyage. I think it had 8 sea days, 5 of them in a row. Only one day out of the whole thing was rough, but nothing my dramamine couldn't handle and the ports were interesting. Our table-mates were delightful and we got to see a (rather unimpressive) display of northern lights one night from our balcony. However, by the time our ship docked in Boston, even my husband felt once was enough. We are active people, and, after awhile were counting the days till our cruise was over.

I'm checking that cruise out from S. England. I liked the one that left from Copenhagen but the air to there is complicated. Getting to England is much simpler.

I see you are from somewhere in PA :). Getting to Copenhagen is actually quite simple as there is a daily non-stop flight from Dulles to Copenhagen on SAS. There are other cheaper options, but that SAS flight is really nice...especially if in Premium Economy or Business.

Hank

I see you are from somewhere in PA :). Getting to Copenhagen is actually quite simple as there is a daily non-stop flight from Dulles to Copenhagen on SAS. There are other cheaper options, but that SAS flight is really nice...especially if in Premium Economy or Business.

Hank

Our closest airports are ABE & MDT. We're about an hour from each of them. Sometimes, we have to go from EWR or PHL. They're about 2 hrs from us. We would have to use miles on American Airlines, which using miles is the only way we get to travel to Europe. The flight available would take about 17 hrs. My DH doesn't want to fly to begin with, so, 17 hrs. might be stretching it! Being that it comes into NY, we wouldn't need to fly home.

Our closest airports are ABE & MDT. We're about an hour from each of them. Sometimes, we have to go from EWR or PHL. They're about 2 hrs from us. We would have to use miles on American Airlines, which using miles is the only way we get to travel to Europe. The flight available would take about 17 hrs. My DH doesn't want to fly to begin with, so, 17 hrs. might be stretching it! Being that it comes into NY, we wouldn't need to fly home.

Using miles does change everything. We live close to MDT, but the last time we flew to Copenhagen we simply did a one-way rental car deal and flew the SAS flight our of IAD. And it turned out to be a great decision. Doing a 17 hour airline odyssey to Copenhagen would certainly stop us in our tracks :).

Your post did catch our interest because I was just looking at that same cruise. When we looked at the air options we were not real happy with the prices (we want Bus Class).

Hank

Weather, who can tell. In 2009 crossed from Boston to Cobh Ireland. Calm as a millpond for the whole 7 days, I think it was late August. You need to be able to amuse yourself but for me it was wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've taken 3 trans-Atlantic cruises (with a 4th coming up in October), all of them in in the month of October from Europe to Florida. Each time we've thoroughly enjoyed them with the many shipboard activities offered, and when we tired of them, we settled in with our books (iPads), watched some movies, and/or and enjoyed the company of new-found friends.

One of the benefits of sailing Westward is that you get an extra hour of sleep at least 5 times during the crossing, making the TA's a great relaxing holiday. We have had 7 and 8 days at sea, and were certainly not bored on any of them. Please let us know what you decide.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

HAL used to offer an Atlantic Adventurer, from Ft. Lauderdale to The Med and back for 6 or 7 weeks. We did it twice, coming back in December. No problems. We did experience some motion and such in the Med, but nothing in the "big pond".

One of the good things of crossing from east to west is that most days are 25 hours long. Time zones and such give you longer days. In one way of thinking, you get more for your money going that way vs. going from west to east when the days are only 23 hours long!

Go ahead...do it.

Jim

We're considering doing a transatlantic in Oct. It goes from Copenhagen to NY. I know that no one can predict the weather or the sea, but what have you experienced on a crossing? We've never done one and my dh isn't sold on going. So, your replies could either talk me out of it or talk him into it.

I can't wait to read your responses and experiences!

Weather and seas are the only possible bad sides to a TA as far as I am concerned, they don't affect me too much at all.