Explain for me how movie's night work

zazou

It will be our fist cruise with Carnival next month on the Dream. My daughter has autism and she love movies. I was wondering if someone can explain me how is the environnement during movie night. Before talking to her about it, I want to be sure that she will be able to assist. Is it very loud? do we need to go early to get a chair? Is a lot of people still talking arround and not listen to the movie? Where is the best place to sit? How to get the popcorn? Thanks a lot!

It will be our fist cruise with Carnival next month on the Dream. My daughter has autism and she love movies. I was wondering if someone can explain me how is the environnement during movie night.

Before talking to her about it, I want to be sure that she will be able to assist. Is it very loud? It is definitely loud enough to hear the movie, but not so loud as to hurt your ears. Being a former school teacher familiar with the spectrum, I would not be too concerned with loud extremely loud noises, or sudden flashes (outdoors) that might overload her senses. There will likely be a lot of people on the decks watching the movie though which relates to your next question.

do we need to go early to get a chair? My wife and I have never had trouble finding a place to sit, but it always helps to get their a bit early if you have preferences.

Is a lot of people still talking arround and not listen to the movie? There will be some people just hanging out, talking, playing in the pools, etc. I would recommend going up to one of the second levels on the sides of the deck. There are fewer people surrounding you and the chairs are more comfortable.

Where is the best place to sit? See above ;)

How to get the popcorn? There will be a stand set up somewhere on the main pool deck. I think it is at one of the bars, or near the towel hut.

Thanks a lot!

Questions answered inside the quotes. Dream is one of our favorite ships, and we will be sailing on her in August. Depending on your daughter's age, you might consider taking her to a Sea Day Tea service. It is very quiet, not crowded, and they serve a wide variety of snacks (mostly sweets), all free of charge. The only cost is if you want fancy tea. Have a wonderful cruise! :cool:

I have never been on the Dream but have been on both the Magic and Breeze, the sister ships. Deck 11 is covered and has very comfortable seats. But you will need to go early because those seats fill up fast. It was very quiet. One evening it started raining during the movie but we were completely covered and didn't get wet.

One of my favorite things to do! I like deck 10 lounge chairs around the pool, but there are a lot of people so maybe not best for your daughter. You can also check out blankets because it does get a bit chilly. Do that early as they run out. Movie under the stars in the middle of the ocean, doesn’t get much better.

I love ships with the outdoor movie screens too - not so much during the day, but it's really good viewing after dark. Be aware though that as has been mentioned, normal deck activities continue around you. People will be coming and going and doing their own thing including congregating at the bars and playing (sometimes boisterously) in the pools. If distraction is a big issue you may unfortunately not have as enjoyable time as you hope, but I wish you and your family a nice trip regardless!

It will be our fist cruise with Carnival next month on the Dream. My daughter has autism and she love movies. I was wondering if someone can explain me how is the environnement during movie night. Before talking to her about it, I want to be sure that she will be able to assist. Is it very loud? do we need to go early to get a chair? Is a lot of people still talking arround and not listen to the movie? Where is the best place to sit? How to get the popcorn? Thanks a lot!

Hi! We are cruising with our son on the Dream next month, too, and he has HFA. We often bring noise-cancelling headphones places with us; he can hear through them. It's not as loud as a traditional movie theatre, if that helps!

People will talk, you may need to save seats beforehand, and I'm not sure about the popcorn. Would she do well if prepped for those variables?

...We often bring noise-cancelling headphones places with us; he can hear through them....

Great idea. I mentioned this thread to my wife, also a former teacher, and she suggested noise cancelling headphones too!

To the OP, depending on how your daughter deals with large crowds and loud noises, there are a few things to be aware of/prepared for...

• Often there are evening events in the atrium of the ship which get very loud and very crowded. The noise cancelling headphones might be of value here, as would preparing an alternative route if you see a crowd and with to avoid it.
  • On elegant night, there are a lot of crew photographers are out in force. They can take up a lot of space with their setups, and queues so foot traffic can get a bit crowded. Getting a good idea of the layout of the ship early will be helpful.
  • You may have already considered this, but in the dining room, the tables are very close together, and if you chose early or late dining (not so much your time), you guys may be seated with others. There are also times where the waitstaff dance to music, and it can get a bit loud. If the seating or music might present a problem, speak to the maitre-d, as they are good about making accommodations based on many special needs.
  • Embarkation and Muster Drill: both can get crowded and pretty busy. In both cases, I believe Carnival will make accommodations for anyone with special needs as well. Once again, you may have already done this, but contacting Carnival's Guest Access Team can be helpful. On the Dream, the muster drill is a lot easier than other ships, but it is definitely crowded and there might be some loud noises.

I tend to get long-winded, but hopefully you find this helpful. Dream is one of my favorite ships on Carnival, and you will have a great time!

Thanks for all the great information and suggestions! Noise cancelling headphones is a great idea and I will bring some for her. We will do anytime dining to be able to accomodate her and try to go to the dining room at less popular time. We need to be pretty flexible and go with the flow.

As a mother of a son with Asperger’s, and as someone who has watched movies on the lido plenty of times, I disagree with the people saying it’s not that loud. It is. Especially if the movie has a lot of action in it. I know my son wouldn’t have handled that kind of environment very well when he was a child. He was never one to be able to function in loud, high energy situations. My suggestion is try it though. Choose seats that are not very close. And just be prepared to leave if it’s too much for her. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate can't recall which posting, but someone recently sailed and situation similar. They were able to have a one on one private muster drill, at dining staff was helpful and want to say for movies say in upper section where it was easier to leave in a hurry.

Also I recalled in an older review the family scooped out places onboard like bars not serving in the daytime, the chapel, conference rooms on board where little or no people were at when they couldn't get to the cabin fast.

I absolutely love the Dream and wanted to throw out a few suggestions since it seems areas a little less crowded may appeal to you. When dining in the Lido buffet area, if the seating on Lido deck is too congested, I would suggest going up the stairs behind the desert area. There is a build your own pasta area up there that is actually pretty good, but you certainly don't have to be eating the pasta to sit up there. Just make your plates and head up there to eat if that is more comfortable for your daughter. Also the pools and hot tubs can be very crowded on Lido deck during peak hours but there are hot tubs on deck five on both sides of the ship that were rarely busy. These hot tubs are located on the outside deck that goes all the way around deck 5, which can offer some great quite moments especially if you walk out there and go all the way to the front of the ship. It can be quite windy but the views are extremely relaxing for me at least. Deck 5 on the inside can get very crowded if you are using it to walk from the front to the back of the ship between venues, but if you walk down a level to deck 4 you can there is the same walkway going from the atrium to the rear of the ship but it is much much less congested. I would suggest downloading the HUB app if you haven't already, its free after all, because it has a deck plan built in that can really come in handy. Have a great trip, the Dream is a wonderful ship!

I just got off the Dream, they played some popular movies- Black Panther and Star Wars- it was hard to find a seat so if you want to see a popular movies find your seats early. We sent time in the pool during the movies. There were people constantly moving around and talking- the movies were very loud. The popcorn is not salted when prepare so it was hard to get it tasting right.

I hope you will enjoy the cruise as much as we did.