“The Hump”

Some of the hump cabins have bigger balconies, not all of them. The hump is located near the center of the ship so you don't have to walk a long way to get to most places. There are usually stairs and a bank of elevators very close by. If you get a cabin on the center of the hump, you can see all the way down the side of the ship fore and aft.

Not ALL RCI ships have larger balconies because of the "hump"... The Voyager and Freedom class hump balconies are the same size as any other side cabin of the same category. Radiance class has varying size balconies on the hump, as do the newer, larger ships.

The convenience of location is the prime reason folks book in the hump area....the elevator/stairway foyer is steps away, and is very, very convenient. Once you've traversed those loooooooong hallways when you've forgotten something in your cabin, you'll understand!

Hi. Are cabins on “the hump” good/bad? Why? Still learning cruise lingo. Thanks

Classic 'Hump' cabins can be seen on the Radiance class. This is really where the difference started and kinda ended.

To fully understand, look at the deck plans for the Radiance of the Seas, deck 8. Now look at the curve at the middle of the ship and find cabin 8088. You can clearly see the balcony is about 2.5 times the size of a 'regular' balcony. I have had this exact cabin on both the Radiance and the Brilliance. Personally, I LOVE having that extra personal space. I live alone, and am used to more personal space than most people. So that is a huge motivator for me.

Now, there are people that have issues with noise from the bordering inner centrum-especially with bands playing at night. Fair point. There is some noise from the centrum. But if you like the night life, as I happen to, then you are probably getting back to the cabin later that the bands play in the centrum anyway. It never bothered me, because I tend to stay out late at night.

So in the end it's really up to you and if that compromise is ok with you then 'Hump' cabins can really be something great. I love them and have the cabin 7094 (8088 on deck 7 essentially) for my next cruise.

After the Radiance class, 'Hump' cabins never had the deep balconies again. Check the deck plans. This design feature is never repeated. Instead, cabins are shifted and balconies are maintained at relative equality. So to my opinion, the only 'Hump' cabins that are truly great are on the Radiance class.

After the Radiance class, 'Hump' cabins never had the deep balconies again. Check the deck plans. This design feature is never repeated. Instead, cabins are shifted and balconies are maintained at relative equality. So to my opinion, the only 'Hump' cabins that are truly great are on the Radiance class.

Oasis Class junior suites on the hump are deeper than non-hump junior suites.

• Thanks 1

BUT you have to pay suite rates to get that. Hump cabins on Radiance class can be had for balcony rates (though sometimes with a minor upcharge).

... or you could have just replied, "Correct."

• Haha 1

... or you could have just replied, "Correct."

Ok, but that would neglect the fact that suites, even JS, are significantly different and more expensive than balcony rates. Not trying to be snippy, but the Hump balcony difference on Radiance class is rather unique.

• Like 1

What about cabins right off the the hump (toward the back)? We’ve actually got a couple of them booked (Explorer and Jewel) because they were close to the centrum but my husband is worried that our view will be blocked.

What about cabins right off the the hump (toward the back)? We’ve actually got a couple of them booked (Explorer and Jewel) because they were close to the centrum but my husband is worried that our view will be blocked.

It will be, partially. You will not be able to see directly forward as much as you would in other cabins.

We stayed in a hump balcony once. Never again. Hated it. Why? Noise. When you're centrally located and are near the elevators, you're also in the area where SO MANY PEOPLE pass by your room. All those people = lots of noise. We constantly heard groups of people walk by laughing, kids running down the halls, even just single people walking by with flip-flops slapping their feet. I don't mean people were rudely loud, but when that many people walk by your room, it adds up to a lot of noise. After that, it was back to our beloved -- and quiet -- aft balconies for us.

Some of the hump cabins have bigger balconies, not all of them. The hump is located near the center of the ship so you don't have to walk a long way to get to most places. There are usually stairs and a bank of elevators very close by. If you get a cabin on the center of the hump, you can see all the way down the side of the ship fore and aft.
Well explained,I always go for a hump cabin for the reasons you said.

To date we have never experienced any noise on several different ships when we have had a hump balcony cabin.

Well explained,I always go for a hump cabin for the reasons you said.

To date we have never experienced any noise on several different ships when we have had a hump balcony cabin.

Agree. We had "humps" on Radiance class, and one on Anthem. Love, love the location, and zero noise.

We have stayed in many hump cabins on many ships and never experienced unusual traffic noises. Yes, the occasional shrieking child. But never heard much other traffic. On Radiance class ships, we stay away from the very first few cabins on the hump as noise from the Centrum definitely can be heard in those. This can be all the way up to deck 9 in some cases.

Hi. We just got off the Serenade and had 8602 which is back of the hump. The view forward is compromised but it is slightly protected from the wind. The balcony is slightly larger and we didn’t have any problem with noise. That may have been the passengers it was the transatlantic. And it is super close to everything. Combined with a smaller ship i actually missed the walk down the hallway but if mobility is an issue it’s an excellent location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had our first hump on the Anthem..and loved it. Enormous balcony! Noise? What noise? I have really never understood this complaint. You are in a public place with 2500-6000 other people. You're not at home. If you are that sensitive to noise, than you should bring ear plugs.

If I am to book a Hump cabin on a Radiance class I will look for the one center or just to the right or left of center. Being on a corner hump it seems will block your view. If I am unable to get a cabin on the hump, then I chose one 6 to 10 rooms forward. I have never been bothered by any noise in the Centrum. Although I am not out around midnight, I tend to head back to my room by 11 PM. Have been up later on a Freedom Class if they have an activity.

We had 9078 on Serenade. Loved the location and the huge balcony. The noise level was something we didn't enjoy because we are in our 70's and most nights we are in our cabin around 9:00. The fire door right outside the cabin is supposed to stay open until 10:00. I would go out and close it at 10:00. We could still hear the music from the Centrum but it was okay. That worked well except for the last night on the cruise. I went out and closed the door at 10:00 as usual. Sometime later someone opened it and the music continued until around 12:30. The music is loud unless the fire door is closed. If you are out and about until midnight it would be a great cabin.