Review: 5 Nights on Empress of the Seas (with 50+ Pictures!)

Empress of the Seas Review

Itinerary: 5-Night Western Caribbean Cruise (Cozumel, CocoCay)

Sail Date: March 27, 2017

Stateroom: 7006 (Forward Owner's Suite)

Since joining Cruise Critic a few years back, I've taken several cruises without writing a review. (I know, shame on me.) Well, that changes with this post reviewing our recent sailing on Empress of the Seas - little ship, big heart! And to make up for not writing reviews in the past, let me dump 50+ pictures into this thread.

Background

First, some background. My wife and I are in our early 30's, Emerald C&A members (only a three-night cruise away from Diamond - whoot!), and overall avid cruisers (we've both sailed on other lines). In fact, I proposed to her on Oasis of the Seas in 2014. Our jobs consume much of our time, so we like to vacation as much as possible. It's been a while since I cruised on a truly small ship (we were on Majesty last year, but does that count as a small ship?), so we booked this late March cruise.

From the Beginning...

We left our cold, rainy midwest state the day before our sailing. For fellow northerners, you know the feeling of leaving the cold and gray behind for something tropical...

33018050864_a8aaf2ac53_b.jpg

Who would want to leave this "wonderland!?"

33477235220_2ce16f4294_b.jpg

Rain drizzling outside our aircraft window

33477235420_45b4f5754e_b.jpg

It was a morning flight, but hey - we're on vacation so don't judge

33018050514_b0abd0a02a_b.jpg

Random couple on the plane... nah, kidding - that's us

33018051254_c93d1bd9e9_b.jpg

Stereotypical window shot while at 35,000 feet

Alright, enough of the airplane photos...

Although Empress of the Seas currently sails out of Miami, we flew into Fort Lauderdale. (Airfare was shockingly cheaper at the time I booked the plane tickets.) Learning from other CC members sailing out of Miami, we decided to stay the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay. Decent enough hotel, but showing its age in some ways. The REAL reason for selecting this hotel? The views. (Although my wife would say the short drive to the ship - a close, second reason I guess.)

33705427532_0868d791b1_b.jpg

Port of Miami at night

COMING UP NEXT:

Waking up to see Empress of the Seas from our hotel room.

Empress of the Seas Review - Continued

Perhaps it's the geek in me, but waking up to see your ship is quite a thrill. Anyone else agree?

33018051714_6c2cd398a5_b.jpg

You can see Enchantment of the Seas behind the Carinval ship

The ships weren't the only great views in the morning:

33705427912_f0fa175e99_b.jpg

Looking directly out of our hotel room

33018052124_ef38ee0b56_b.jpg

Looking straight down from our hotel room

COMING UP NEXT:

We board the Empress of the Seas.

Great pictures so far and I am looking forward to more. Definitely hoping for some positive vibes about Empress. We're booked for next month and, for the most part, all I've been reading is stuff from the Debbie Downers. Yes, I understand she's the oldest and (one of the) smallest ships in the fleet and there is no Diamond Lounge or Solarium and the rooms are smaller, blah blah blah but there has to be something good to report!

So, let's hear it! Thanks for your time in doing the review and sharing the pictures!

:D:D:D

Perhaps it's the geek in me, but waking up to see your ship is quite a thrill. Anyone else agree?

33018051714_6c2cd398a5_b.jpg

You can see Enchantment of the Seas behind the Carinval ship

The ships weren't the only great views in the morning:

33705427912_f0fa175e99_b.jpg

Looking directly out of our hotel room

33018052124_ef38ee0b56_b.jpg

Looking straight down from our hotel room

COMING UP NEXT:

We board the Empress of the Seas.

We were up, getting ready to disembark when you took this pic. Sad morning getting off that small ship with a big heart ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Staying at a hotel near the port meant that our ship was only a "hop, skip, and a jump" away. Checkout was at 11:00AM, and the Empress began boarding new passengers at 11:30AM. Worked out beautifully. Grabbed a taxi and headed right for terminal.

Check-in and security were a breeze. In complete fairness though, we were suite guests with our own priority line. Even with that special access, the terminal wasn't crowded at all. (At least when we arrived.) With our SeaPasses in hand, we bypassed the ships photographers (who were using an outdated/pre-Pullmantur backdrop of the ship, BTW) and headed right for the gangway.

33053052473_e29eeeb555_b.jpg

Enchantment of the Seas docked in front of Empress of the Seas

33018052564_978f4ab425_b.jpg

Just one... more... step...

33705431662_77a66ff020_b.jpg

Like most older RC ships, you enter through the Centrum

33705428452_293ba954d9_b.jpg

Near the bow looking forward on Deck 6 (Promenade Deck) toward Enchantment of the Seas

33481875020_95731b1681_b.jpg

Looking back at our hotel from the ship

33053050273_10c6877795_b.jpg

That's my mega yacht there (joking)

COMING UP NEXT:

The unveiling of our stateroom.

Great pictures so far and I am looking forward to more. Definitely hoping for some positive vibes about Empress. We're booked for next month and, for the most part, all I've been reading is stuff from the Debbie Downers. Yes, I understand she's the oldest and (one of the) smallest ships in the fleet and there is no Diamond Lounge or Solarium and the rooms are smaller, blah blah blah but there has to be something good to report!

So, let's hear it! Thanks for your time in doing the review and sharing the pictures!

Thanks! I'm still building up to the highlights and takeaways, but I'll just quickly mentioned that it's a fantastic ship, great crew, and the food was top-notch (and I'm VERY critical of RC's food).

More to come.

As mentioned before, my wife and I stayed in one of the "Owner's Suites." Like all staterooms onboard Empress of the Seas, they're much smaller compared to their category counterparts in the rest of the fleet. I've found that a Grand Suite on Oasis of the Seas (which is a step down from the Owner's Suite category) seems larger than an Owner's Suite on Empress.

Don't get me wrong, the stateroom was great nonetheless.

33705429022_5a2d8a1eaf_b.jpg

Window near the bed (balcony on opposite side of room)

33705429432_c48020024c_b.jpg

Fresh fruit and flowers on our coffee table; sofa seen in background

The real selling point for the forward-facing Owner's Suites are the enormous balconies. Although it's windy at times, the space is unmatched:

33705428702_761d42b286_b.jpg

33018052954_b2074d82ce_b.jpg

33710507852_4f02861037_b.jpg

Better angle to show the depth of the balcony

33018053714_4e4da431d1_b.jpg

Forward view from the edge of the balcony

COMING UP NEXT:

The sail away.

The Muster Drill was quicker than most cruises. Perhaps it was the small ship with few passengers that made it such a breeze. Or perhaps it was the rum and Cokes that made it go by so fast. It's anyone's guess.

Shortly after, we returned to our stateroom for the traditional champagne send-off.

33705429792_4b693e215d_b.jpg

Courtesy of Royal Caribbean Visa credit card reward points

Our stateroom was right on the bow of the ship. I was surprised how much rattling and shaking those bow thrusters make :o

33018054144_de2407d5e3_b.jpg

Empress of the Seas was the first to leave port

33705430402_12a018a5a2_b.jpg

Leaving the Port of Miami

33477237500_cfb202a328_b.jpg

Leaving the Port of Miami

COMING UP NEXT:

The rest of the first day...

The rest of the first day was somewhat anticlimactic for us. In the spirit of "doing nothing" and relaxing, we decided to order room service for dinner, eat on our balcony, and watch the sunset before going to bed.

33705431132_1a3408effd_b.jpg

Sun setting on our first night

33477238040_83250d3f0d_b.jpg[

Little Empress glistening in the sunset

33873331485_24ae76a595_b.jpg

Final picture before the light faded

COMING UP NEXT:

Day two - sea day.

Our first of two sea days! I'm a nautical nut, so sea days are typically my favorite days. Unlike most cruisers, I choose my cruises for the ship, more than the itinerary. (Although we'll be back on Empress of the Seas in July for Cuba - more on that later.)

Like most sea days on a given ship, it felt a little crowded in the public spaces (e.g. pool deck, sun deck, etc.) which is to be expected. On the whole though, the "crowd level" wasn't an issue, with the exception on the Centrum near the shops. The shop staff set up tables for watches and jewlery in the narrow aisles right near the central staircase of the Centrum. This made it difficult at times to squeeze through as shoppers looked upon the items on the tables. The other crowding issue is Windjammer at lunch time - but I'm sure that goes without saying.

33477238320_2df00f16ae_b.jpg

Cruise Compass, Day 2

After breakfast, we decided to wander around the ship.

33705431352_3494862670_b.jpg

My lovely wife and I wondering the ship

33477238610_d2d81da339_b.jpg

Pool deck with no "upper deck"

33477239000_25c76acd95_b.jpg

On the ship's stern

Beautiful weather all around. We were sailing *with* the wind for the first few days, so our forward-facing balcony was the perfect spot to spend most of our day.

After more sunbathing than I should have done (it still hurts), we opened one of our bottles of champagne we brought onboard with us:

33705431872_6f43ac5492_b.jpg

I'm attempting to be "artistic" with this photo. Did I hit the mark?

For dinner, we at at Chops Grille. Service was superb, but the "Dry-Aged New York Strip" was extremely disappointing. It's an additional charge (on top of the up-charge to dine at Chops), so I was expecting a phenomenal steak. After two bites, I sent it back. It was cooked to my liking, but the steak itself had no flavor. None. :confused: The waiter was quick to bring me out a filet instead. Quite satisfied with the filet I must say.

No photos from dinner, apologies. I didn't want to lug around the Canon camera anymore that day. Pure laziness.

COMING UP NEXT:

Day three: Cozumel, México

Cozumel, México was our first port of call. There are two separate cruise ship piers, several miles apart. It was great to see both Freedom of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas sail in behind us, although they both docked at the other pier.

On the whole, I'm not a big fan of Cozumel, México. I've been there a handful of times and now it seems my wife just drags me around shopping each time. Of course, I'm the one fending off all of the merchants who want to sell me anything and everything. (See does this on purpose, I just know it!) I do love the blue water at Cozumel though - it's very "Caribbean Blue."

33477239360_5113345893_b.jpg

The sun was still rising on the other side of the ship, lighting up the water underneath

33705432202_ccaba31562_b.jpg

33477239720_9579069591_b.jpg

33705432462_ccc64f2bc7_b.jpg

33477240120_3670e423ea_b.jpg

33705436002_f355cc70aa_b.jpg

MSC Divina later docked next to us; she's a few feet longer I think...

At this point of this post, we haven't even left the pier; however Cruise Critic limits the photos to six per post. Most Cozumel coming up...

COMING UP NEXT:

Cozumel, México - Continued

Loving this review. Thanks for sharing.

Are you sailing on Empress soon?

It'll be quite different from our experience on Anthem last October but Mr. B and I are up for a new experience [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk