Mykonos Beach: Kalafatis or Elia

DENNAS

RCCL offers two beach transfers- Elia and Kalafatis

Any recommendations for one over the other? For whatever reason Kalafatis transfer is a bit less expensive - both are same amount of total time 4 hours.

Gives us time to come back and shop around town.

We are not windsurfers or partake in any strenuous water activities- so that isn't an issue.

Also- how are temps 'normally' in early June? Will it be warm at the beaches?

Thank you.

They are both good options. In June, the air temps should be quite nice (probably around 80 f 27C) but the sea water will still be a bit on the chilly side. When we are on the island for a port day we generally just take the local bus (from the bus station near the Windmills) over to Paradise Beach. Its generally a lot less money then excursions and we love escaping all the cruisers (who go to the same places on excursions). For an even more beautiful beach one can take a quick water taxi ride from Paradise over to nearby Super Paradise. Over the years we have tried more then half a dozen beaches on Mykonos and all were quite fine.

Hank

Agree with Hank. We always take the local bus to Paradise Beach or to Platis Gialos. You are in complete control of when you go and when you leave - and don't have that horrible hanging around waiting for everyone else to turn up for the excursion, being led off the ship, having to get back at a time when maybe you're not ready.

Not sure how much the ship is charging for these excursions but even if you don't want to catch a local bus (which will cost around 2 euros) a local taxi will work out much cheaper than a ship's excursion and will give you much more freedom.

Thanks Hank. We are tendered. I "think" that means we go to old port - right to town?? How long is walk to windmills- bus station - from there? How much - about- is bus and how often will it run to Paradise Beach and back? Appreciate your help!!

At the risk of treading on Hank's toes ;) the bus to Paradise Beach goes right from where the tenders drop you. There is a small bus station right on the pier - look out for the bus with Paradise on the front - it's the last stop. Buses run approximately every 30 minutes and take about 20 minutes. Last time we were there (18 months ago) the bus cost around 1.2 euros each way.

To walk to the windmills from where the tenders drop you would take around 15 minutes but if you get the bus back from Paradise you can get off closer to the centre of town and therefore closer to the windmills.

We are also looking at beaches in Mykonos and were thinking of Platis Gialos. How is it compared to Paradise? We were at Psarrou a few years ago and had a great time. It looks like the bus to Platis Gialos is pretty easy, too.

We are also looking at beaches in Mykonos and were thinking of Platis Gialos. How is it compared to Paradise? We were at Psarrou a few years ago and had a great time. It looks like the bus to Platis Gialos is pretty easy, too.

Platis Gialos is different to Paradise in that Paradise is more of a 'beach club' whereas Platis Gialos is more like a public beach with bars/restaurants (and a small supermarket) along the back of the beach. I would say that Platis Gialos is more like Psarou. All the bars have loungers/shades to hire. It's a really nice bay with a lovely sandy beach and shallow water. The further left you go, as you're facing the sea, the quieter it is as some of the bars closer to the entrance can get busy.

There are two small bus stations in Mykonos town and the bus to Platis Gialos goes from a different bus station to the Paradise Beach bus, which goes from the waterfront bus station. If you google southern bus station Mykonos, that's the one for Platis Gialos.

Platis Gialos is different to Paradise in that Paradise is more of a 'beach club' whereas Platis Gialos is more like a public beach with bars/restaurants (and a small supermarket) along the back of the beach. I would say that Platis Gialos is more like Psarou. All the bars have loungers/shades to hire. It's a really nice bay with a lovely sandy beach and shallow water. The further left you go, as you're facing the sea, the quieter it is as some of the bars closer to the entrance can get busy.

There are two small bus stations in Mykonos town and the bus to Platis Gialos goes from a different bus station to the Paradise Beach bus, which goes from the waterfront bus station. If you google southern bus station Mykonos, that's the one for Platis Gialos.

Thanks for the info. When you say "beach club," do you mean like a resort or something? Sounds like Platis Gialos would be great, as we would definitely a place to get drinks throughout the day as well as a lovely Greek lunch.

Great info being posted with which we agree. Being tendered is actually a good thing because it does get you right into town. Wasn't aware that the bus to Paradise stops near the tender pier...but to answer the question the walk to the windmill area (and bus station) is about 10 min from where the tenders dock. As to Paradise being like a "beach club" we do agree. It is a popular beach with a cafe/restaurant and lots of rental chairs. If folks go to Paradise and think its too commercial or crowded, just ask anyone to point you to the water taxis that can take you to Super Paradise (this is actually quite close via the water craft).

I do stand by my prior post that you really cannot go wrong with any of these beaches. Mykonos is an island with many decent beaches. Its also a very friendly island where English is spoken by nearly everyone.

Hank

We are supposed to be tendered, but we are also the first ship in port that day, I believe, so we could end up docking. Last time we were in Mykonos we were also supposed to tender and ended up docking. I agree, however, that the tendering location would be easier. Either way, no complaints as we'll be on a beautiful Greek island :)

Thanks for the info. When you say "beach club," do you mean like a resort or something? Sounds like Platis Gialos would be great, as we would definitely a place to get drinks throughout the day as well as a lovely Greek lunch.

Paradise Beach is accessed via a large complex which has camping facilities and accommodation behind it. The whole of the beach has a number of concessions/bars/restaurants along the back, which also rent out beds and shades. There is a younger vibe there as many of the bars are quite lively, particularly as the day wears on. The further to the right you go as you are facing the sea, the quieter it is. It doesn't cost anything to go in there (as it would in some resorts) but it is all within one complex, as opposed to be a traditional Greek beach which is how I would describe Platis Gialos.

We are supposed to be tendered, but we are also the first ship in port that day, I believe, so we could end up docking. Last time we were in Mykonos we were also supposed to tender and ended up docking. I agree, however, that the tendering location would be easier. Either way, no complaints as we'll be on a beautiful Greek island :)

If you dock you have two options. Catch the bus which drops you where the tenders would drop you (closer to the Paradise Beach bus station) - you will then have a 10 minute walk into town, or catch the water ferry which takes you all the way across the bay and right to the heart of town (closer to the Platis Gialos bus station)

Paradise Beach is accessed via a large complex which has camping facilities and accommodation behind it. The whole of the beach has a number of concessions/bars/restaurants along the back, which also rent out beds and shades. There is a younger vibe there as many of the bars are quite lively, particularly as the day wears on. The further to the right you go as you are facing the sea, the quieter it is. It doesn't cost anything to go in there (as it would in some resorts) but it is all within one complex, as opposed to be a traditional Greek beach which is how I would describe Platis Gialos.

If you dock you have two options. Catch the bus which drops you where the tenders would drop you (closer to the Paradise Beach bus station) - you will then have a 10 minute walk into town, or catch the water ferry which takes you all the way across the bay and right to the heart of town (closer to the Platis Gialos bus station)

Thanks. Sounds like we would like either, but I think Platis sounds great.

• 1 month later...

Just posting to follow up on our day in Mykonos. We did dock and took the water taxi to Mykonos Town; very easy. We walked around town a bit and made our way to the bus station and caught the local bus to Platis Gialos, which was also super easy. Once there, we got loungers in front of a local hotel. Per the waiter, there was no charge for the chairs so long as we ordered stuff, which we did throughout the day. It was a really pretty beach with beautiful clear water. We also had lunch at Avli tou Thodori, which someone on one of these threads mentioned. It was very good and quite reasonable. Even our beach waiter mentioned that it was a good place and didn't mind that we didn't eat at his place as we were ordering drinks all day. When we were done with the beach we got the bus back to town and back on the water taxi. We had purchased our return bus tickets in the morning when we purchased the out bound tickets, which worked very well.

To all who chimed in with advice, thanks!

• 11 months later...

I'm taking a Celebrity cruise and have been considering the same thing, Elia or Kalafatis. Last time I was in Mykonos, I took the public bus to Platis Gialos and had a wonderful time but this time, since someone in our party has a bad back and is easily fatigued, I'm wondering if the cruise offered transfer is best option.

For those who have taken either excursion, does the transfer bus drop you off next to the ship or in Mykonos town? From what I remember we had to take a shuttle bus from town to the ship. It would make it a little inconvenient if they drop us off at the ship and we wanted to still go in to town to explore after the beach day.

Thanks. Sounds like we would like either, but I think Platis sounds great.

We had a last minute switch from dock, where I planned to walk to a local beach, to tender which dropped us in town. After a quick internet search I realized that Platis was close to town on the local bus and that there were many spots to stop there. Went on our own, set down on a lounger at one of the hotels, had a couple of drinks and some appetizers. All in all a perfect Greek beach day with a minimum of effort, minimal cost and no need to do a ships tour. Still plenty of time to get lost in town and do some shopping.

• 4 weeks later...

These comments are really helpful. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest which beach would be better when traveling with kids (ages 5-15). Also, I'm thinking we would walk around the town a bit first, then head to a beach for a couple hours. If so, do you recommend lunch in town or at the beach? Thanks!!

These comments are really helpful. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest which beach would be better when traveling with kids (ages 5-15). Also, I'm thinking we would walk around the town a bit first, then head to a beach for a couple hours. If so, do you recommend lunch in town or at the beach? Thanks!!

We did exactly that sort of thing, taking lunch in town before catching the bus to Paradise beach. All the best, Tony

8pjBK5wGSH4