Live from Empress - May 20, 2017 (Key West, Havana, and Cozumel)

I've never done a live report before -heck, I've never done any report on Cruise Critic before! And, I must be crazy to compete with the hijinks of CruiseLifeRick on Anthem and, believe me, won't even try (for the record, I LOVED my cruise on Anthem and am looking forward to boarding her on 6/26). Also, ukbballfan already posted a wonderful description of the Havana port that I also can't try to match.

But, the fates conspired that I will be traveling alone and will have time on my hands. Plus, I hope to post things that I personally was looking for (menus, for example.) So, as long as the Internet works, I'm going to try my best!!

As soon as I saw a Facebook post that Cuba cruises opened in December, I immediately got on my computer.

The itinerary:

94add95884a5c8baae747758edcc918e.png

386a1f16cf91a633108d82606c40d7ad.png

Although the times in Key West and Cozumel are unusual, they are actually pretty perfect for someone who is NOT an early riser! Looking forward to all of the ports.

As an FYI, for those on Periscope, I understand that there are a lot of scopers on board this cruise. In fact, Empress has been pretty well represented the last two weeks and I've enjoyed the scopes I've been able to catch. In addition, there is another live review of this cruise on the RC Blog website. Going to be a very well documented cruise!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Tuesday, I received the following informational email:

65741d227a7583fb2bfb3c6e521efb3f.png

All great info to have - perhaps a little sooner would have been nice? Not much one can do about anything at this point. Although, really, if one is going to Cuba, one should already know these things.

Several people on my roll call got a different email. One that is causing a bit of drama...

When excursions were first available, the 8 hour tour was $116. It climbed to over $200. However, roll call members just received an email that they need to cancel the 8 hour tour - it simply can't be done within the time constraints. They are offering a shorter tour for $145ish. A savings for those who purchased late, but a hit for those who paid the $116. Hopefully, we'll hear from someone with a positive solution. I personally will be taking a private tour. And, since my 2nd passenger cancelled, that means just me solo. Should be interesting! LOL

I arrived in Tampa around 3pm today. I didn't know where to stay and decided on the Renaissance International - it's attached to a big mall, if that interests people. My room overlooks Neimans.

Honestly, I selected it as I thought it would have a wide variety of food to choose from (my roomie can't eat just everything- not that it matters now!) Free shuttle from airport, but not to cruise port.

e068525d8c3af0f006d6b871c8798d29.jpg

21bba484d0d573bb4db512959de94fd7.jpg

6b5f6510b7c0b7307f5648f50b45dc48.jpg

Pool from my window:

49a468694e23e5fbb71dd1f9f9af537a.jpg

Will be getting ready for dinner soon. May be back later tonight. [emoji3]

<---- someone who got the 115$ rate.... Still kinda mad about the whole situation.... But gonna do my best to not let it ruin my vacation. Woo, in 24 we should have already made it to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge!

<---- someone who got the 115$ rate.... Still kinda mad about the whole situation.... But gonna do my best to not let it ruin my vacation. Woo, in 24 we should have already made it to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge!

Hope it gets settled to your benefit.

Also hope this rain stops. For those not currently in the Sunshine State, it's not! Rain apparently followed me down here.

We are going over Thanksgiving. If you have MTD, how is it?

Have a great cruise. I'm not seeing your inserts.

Not sure why you aren't seeing the photos- I'm using Tapatalk to post. I'm also looking on the Cruise Critic site on my 2nd phone and see them. Anyone else having problems?

I am going to try MTD. Honestly, I haven't eaten in the MDR in years, preferring the specialty restaurants on other ships, especially when solo. I do have reservations, which I may change when I board. Will also do Chef's Table and may decide to do Chops one night. Will report 1st night.

Does everyone like foodie posts, even when not on board the ship? If not, please skip this post.

Due to rain, stayed close by and ate at Pelagia Trattoria at my hotel.

febb9c39f2cd9bef74d7f3d70f9a4599.jpg

Bread with roasted red pepper butter

a865664f75470aac7de3fb25accd9d26.jpg

Kale and Squash Salad

47660ce2f8731a0bd8f343e6623517c1.jpg

Grilled Grouper

7b1ecf0cf7da8e2d29674e2ec1b441a6.jpg

Apple Tart

e07c204d5d30697105a74317232cdf85.jpg

Enjoyed everything, but the bread and butter wasn't worth the calories. Yes, I know it's a lot, but it's the 1st night of my vacation and I've been very good since January. Plan on splurging a bit at dinner, but be very boring the rest of the time (excluding excursions.)

Sorry about your roommate having to cancel, but I guess we benefit with your trip report!

Looking forward to more! BTW, the grouper looks so good; was it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Looking forward to more! BTW, the grouper looks so good; was it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, it was really good. It's quite possible that the waiter thought I was crazy - I kept giving him two items I was thinking of and he told me what he preferred. Definitely steered me in the right direction each time. Good meal.

Bon Voyage!

I was originally booked for this trip, but changed it to a Havana overnighter in June.

Please share your 'scope handle so those who are inclined can follow along. I guess you won't have any WIfi luck in Havana, but maybe you can at least show us the city view from the ship, if Empress's wifi is good.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to report back.

Looks like a good dinner choice in Tampa. I live nearby and have never been. We will be boarding when you return, for the non-Havana itinerary. This will be our first time using My Time dining. Since the Empress is generally very casual I am wondering if men can wear nice shorts at dinner?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please share your 'scope handle so those who are inclined can follow along. I guess you won't have any WIfi luck in Havana, but maybe you can at least show us the city view from the ship, if Empress's wifi is good.

I will not be scoping. But you will for a fact see Empress this week if you follow:

@BigDawgRonAZ

@NickVitani

@CruisingKat

Hoping I got those right - I think there's more too. I was watching Nick Vitani's scopes from a week ago when he was also on and that's how I found out so many were on 5/20. There have been Internet issues, however.

Looks like a good dinner choice in Tampa. I live nearby and have never been. We will be boarding when you return, for the non-Havana itinerary. This will be our first time using My Time dining. Since the Empress is generally very casual I am wondering if men can wear nice shorts at dinner?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think hotel restaurants are easily overlooked.

Will report back re: shorts. However, I can say that I watched some YouTube videos to prep for my cruise and the person I was watching was always very very casual.

I will not be scoping. But you will for a fact see Empress this week if you follow:

@BigDawgRonAZ

@NickVitani

@CruisingKat

Hoping I got those right - I think there's more too. I was watching Nick Vitani's scopes from a week ago when he was also on and that's how I found out so many were on 5/20. There have been Internet issues, however.

@CruiseHabit and @Cookingyo are also scoping from the Empress this week. Cookingyo is actually live right now with his 360 cam. Very cool.

It took 17 minutes and cost $10.50 to Uber from my hotel. Uber driver gave me his number to call him on Thursday when we get back to take me to airport.

I'm emerald and had very little line. No status cruisers weren't so lucky.

814fdcf0fdf25eb9ef23783058fe8e9c.jpg

1fa6b3047e7090d7b0c9dc49e429de34.jpg

d06665ccd93e85ae397781fc9b431fa6.jpg

2bc9ea52ed13248384e7ef3af164971d.jpg

Currently eating at Windjammer and they just announced rooms are ready.

I have an outside on the 4th floor. I do understand why people comment about a smell - could smell something in the hallway. But, my room is fine. My suitcase wasn't available yet, but plenty of others were.

This room is smaller than my balcony studio on Anthem!

5dba7a3118df94cb3960448e245de558.jpg

ce729e74622e4a9a72db85065b8fe01f.jpg

e80ee983d08dffa8ea54a33fd6bba3b3.jpg

6349360a2a351e992c27dd979b8c62ad.jpg

e80635ba76824524461c43e61071206f.jpg

This is my first cruise as Emerald and my first cookies!!!

4c5415ad8b9b4a2c2804dfbde07d1f5c.jpg

Edited by Alter Ego