Does the Magic "shimmy"?

jordanaire

A friend just returned from a cruise aboard the Magic and said that the ship "shimmied" the entire cruise. More than any of the 15 Carnival ships he's sailed on. The vibration was very strong and very noticeable during the entire cruise. A crew member told him that "the stabilizers were not working" (whatever that means). Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

A friend just returned from a cruise aboard the Magic and said that the ship "shimmied" the entire cruise. More than any of the 15 Carnival ships he's sailed on. The vibration was very strong and very noticeable during the entire cruise. A crew member told him that "the stabilizers were not working" (whatever that means). Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Was it anything like this?

The Magic does not normally shimmy - nor does any ship I have ever been on. I have felt it though in high seas when the stabilizers are coming out of the water - and it is much more in the aft rather than bow of the ship.

We felt a lot of movement of the Breeze last time we were on her, we figured it was just because we were forward and high up. But it was the most movement I've ever felt on a ship. I hope the Magic is smooth in september,we are taking out 3 year old for the first time.

Any ship will "shimmy" (yaw) depending on the direction of the waves hitting the ship.

In January we were also on a cruise on HAL's Zuiderdam. Due to the weather patterns of multiple low pressure systems, we also had "shimmy" (and rolling and pitching) and missed one port because of winds.

We were on the Magic in February this year and it felt like we would hit a huge wave a then the ship would shudder after. That’s the only way I know how to describe it. Also there were not waves big enough to be creating the feeling. Also my husband usually never feels the boat moving and he mentioned multiple times how he couldn’t believe how much it was rocking. It was strange as our weather was perfect and so was the sea.

We were on Magic a month ago and didn't notice anything unusual....aft section balcony cabin on deck 6. I only noticed it a couple of times when we were docking at ports of call but really nothing that I didn't expect.

Since the Magic does not have azipods, it should not experience the "azipod shimmy" that is common with those ships.

I would be surprised if there were times that the stabilizers were coming out of the water, as you would be rolling extremely heavily, probably 25-30*, and very few would be able to keep their feet.

Even without azipods, with following seas as ship can shimmy horizontally, as the seas fight against the rudders, and the actions of the autopilot to maintain course. Also, with following seas, the propellers tend to lift closer to the surface, and the vibration from the blade passage to the hull increases.

When a ship "slams" into waves, or "shudders" when hitting a wave, even waves of moderate height, it is an indication that the ship's speed and the wave period (time between waves) are out of synchronism, and the flare of the bow comes down as the new wave tries to lift it and creates the "slamming" sensation. Usually, a slight variation in speed can reduce this, or a slight variation of course to take the seas at a different angle.

Any particular reason why they did that? I was under the impression that azmuthing pods were sort of the standard. Also I’m unrelated but I’m interested why are pods typically pullers while fixed are pushers?

When she was ordered was the height of the azipod problems with the older AO model azipods having bearing failures, so some lines like Carnival and NCL went back to prop and rudder ships.

Of course, the shafted propellers have to be "pushers" since the shaft is forward of it. By placing the propeller in front of the motor pod, you get a cleaner flow of water into the propeller, and a more efficient propeller.

When she was ordered was the height of the azipod problems with the older AO model azipods having bearing failures, so some lines like Carnival and NCL went back to prop and rudder ships.

Of course, the shafted propellers have to be "pushers" since the shaft is forward of it. By placing the propeller in front of the motor pod, you get a cleaner flow of water into the propeller, and a more efficient propeller.

Slightly off topic, but have any of the newer builds (from any line) gone back (or plan to go back) to azipods?

Slightly off topic, but have any of the newer builds (from any line) gone back (or plan to go back) to azipods?

Almost all of them have gone back to pods. It was just a few year period, around 2005-2008. With the introduction of the XO model azipod, the repair situation changed dramatically, since the problematic bearing could be changed without drydocking.

Almost all of them have gone back to pods. It was just a few year period, around 2005-2008. With the introduction of the XO model azipod, the repair situation changed dramatically, since the problematic bearing could be changed without drydocking.

Thanks Chief. Just one more: have any of the older ships with the problematic pods had their pods replaced with the newer model you mention? Or do the cruise lines continue to just dry dock and replace the faulty bearings when required?

We were on the Magic 3/31-4/7 this year and last year in Spring, nothing noticeable. We rarely feel movement on the bigger ships, pretty much never actually (we are always deck 7 or above, can't speak to the lower decks).

• 2 weeks later...