Plastic Straws to be Discontinued on Celebrity

vtcruising

It looks like the rumors were true. Plastic straws will be eliminated on Celebrity by the end of 2018. If one asks for a straw, they will be given a paper straw.

"After straws, stirrers and picks, the company's next efforts will focus on other single-use plastics such as condiment packets, cups, and bags. A full plastics audit is underway, with the overall plan to be completed in phases by 2020."

Nothing about water bottles in this article.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19128-royal-caribbean-to-eliminate-plastic-straws-by-end-of-2018.html

Good to hear. We spent five days in Monterey, CA over the Memorial Day weekend and got to use paper straws for the first time, the whole time. It was great.

When we were growing up there were no such thing as a plastic straw - just paper. Not a problem at all ! We will all survive without plastic and it will be great for our oceans :-)

Thanks for the heads up.. we will bring a few plastic straws along with us assuming we can still get canned soda. We'll also bring some plastic cups and utensils, just in case.

Water in cans is okay with us but the liitle milk type water containers they have at some hotels are awkward for some uses....more so with a paper straw!

I find this just ridiculous, when plastic, one-time water bottles are allowed and used.

As a previous poster said- one step at a time. They have to start somewhere. Much easier to replace the smaller items mentioned by the OP. While non plastic (cardboard) disposable water cartons have been introduced, I'm not sure their practicality, and perhaps just as importantly, acceptance by the general public, has really been established yet. At least the ships have recycling provisions for the plastic bottles.

Why is the replacement of plastic straws unfortunate?

and why do you consider it silly?

The cruise ships have a very specific reason for changing from plastic to paper whenever possible, and it isn't so much about where the items come from and how they are made -- there are debates about the creation of plastic bags vs. cotton bags and each's impact on the environment. This has to do with recycling and/or disposal. It's a different, albeit related, issue.

How unfortunate and how silly. Multiple articles showing that removing plastic actually increases the environmental impact. For example, plastic bags have less of an impact than paper or reusable cotton bags.

Tell that to the sea life that keeps dying from eating plastic

As someone who lived in a world before plastic straws I find the debate ridiculous. In the great scheme of things life will go on without a plastic straw for goodness sake ! Paper ones are fine --- believe me, you will survive !

Words fail

:eek:

Thanks for the heads up.. we will bring a few plastic straws along with us assuming we can still get canned soda. We'll also bring some plastic cups and utensils, just in case.

Really? You'd bring these on vacation? Plastic utensils too? It's your prerogative but I really don't understand this.

Really? You'd bring these on vacation? Plastic utensils too? It's your prerogative but I really don't understand this.

Of course if hcat and company hold onto their straws and reuse them throughout the cruise that might be even more ecologically sound than using multiple paper straws. :halo:

Of course if hcat and company hold onto their straws and reuse them throughout the cruise that might be even more ecologically sound than using multiple paper straws. :halo:

OK that is a good point. Not sure I would keep a straw for 7 - 10 nights but that only cause I' probably chew it or something - lol

Will also light a tire fire to burn while they're away...

Comforts of home...and travel. We will also think about ketchup and mayo packets for the stateroom. Not a fan of vat dispensers & those little paper cups totally don't hold up very well..