Tipping on the way to the ship

Peachypooh

OK I know that the on the ship tipping threads are many. Was wondering how many tip on the way to the ship? Some of the people I tip are anyone who personally helps me at the airport, the shuttle driver to the pre -cruise hotel, the taxi driver, the porters at the pier. If I rent a car to drive around the embarkation port and have to take a shuttle to the rental place I tip him or her too. Is this customary?

OK I know that the on the ship tipping threads are many. Was wondering how many tip on the way to the ship? Some of the people I tip are anyone who personally helps me at the airport, the shuttle driver to the pre -cruise hotel, the taxi driver, the porters at the pier. If I rent a car to drive around the embarkation port and have to take a shuttle to the rental place I tip him or her too. Is this customary?

I will normally tip the porters $5 for two bags. However our last two cruises I did not tip. I guess they didn't need the tips considering they were just standing around and pointed to the cart I was supposed to put our luggage on:rolleyes:

Aside from the taxi, we have no one else to tip...we handle our own bags until we get to the ship. We do tip the porters $1-2 per bag at port. After that, we're on the ship, and the daily tips cover everyone who is supposed to be tipped. Bartenders add the tip to the bar charge or package cost...

I think I did the following- uber was good to bus so $5- (was able to walk few hundred feet from bus in NYC to hotel)- left 3 bags at hotel while going out so tipped $5 before and $5 after. $2 for hotel person who put bags in Uber. $10 for porters at terminal. -afterwards had terrible cab driver to port authority for bus and wish I did uber instead.

I'm not sure why you would tip a shuttle driver, it is certainly not customary, though many of those drivers like to make you think it is. With me it is cab (or Uber) drivers and the porters at the pier.

I'm not sure why you would tip a shuttle driver, it is certainly not customary, though many of those drivers like to make you think it is. With me it is cab (or Uber) drivers and the porters at the pier.

You are right, it is not customary. I am a senior citizen and struggle to get on and off the busses and stow my bags. If the shuttle driver helps me in and takes my bag I tip him. If he just sits in his seat I do not. I should have explained further.

You are right, it is not customary. I am a senior citizen and struggle to get on and off the busses and stow my bags. If the shuttle driver helps me in and takes my bag I tip him. If he just sits in his seat I do not. I should have explained further.

That seems perfectly reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

for us it certainly is. We also tip the guy who transports hubby in a wheel chair, whether this is on the ship or in the air port terminal. I think we might be in the minority when it comes to tipping the wheel chair pushers. Of course if they work for a particular airline they are not allowed to take tips.

Incorrect. It is 100% customary to tip a shutttle driver (e.g., hotel shuttle, car rental shuttle).

Suggestions from someone who travels almost every week,,,People to tip on the way to your cruise

Hotel Housekeeper

Hotel bell stafff

Hotel restaurant waiter

Hotel barista

Hotel valet if they get a car for you

Hotel doorman if they hail a cab

Hotel doorman (more) if they load luggage in the cab

Cab driver

Shuttle driver

Port Porter

Port wheelchair pusher

It depends on where embarkation is. If I should take a cruise originating somewhere in Sweden I shouldn't tip anyone because they all have a decent salary without a tip required.

It depends on where embarkation is. If I should take a cruise originating somewhere in Sweden I shouldn't tip anyone because they all have a decent salary without a tip required.

It is very much reflective of the local culture and norms.

Porters in the Port of Vancouver as an example are unionized longshoreman. Very well paid and signage put up by the port saying Tips are not required or expected.

Some places such as Miami the expectation is to tip porters.

Shuttle buses are another weird one. Depends on where in the world your traveling.

Porters in the Port of Vancouver as an example are unionized longshoreman. Very well paid and signage put up by the port saying Tips are not required or expected.

Shuttle buses are another weird one. Depends on where in the world your traveling.

Porters in the US ports are also unionized, and earn more per year than 75% of the people they are taking care of.

In Miami, the shuttle driver made it quite clear, he was to be tipped & so was the porter - the luggage was loaded faster, the more you tipped. It's worth $10, to me. to see my luggage loaded onto a cart & being wheeled towards the ship.

While in Port Canaveral earlier this month, we pulled our car up to the curb to unload our bags. I had a 5 in my pocket as this is what I usually tip. Two porters were chatting it up, glanced up and looked in our direction, and then continued on with their conversation. I popped the trunk, slowly got out of the car and lingered to give one of them a chance to get our bags out of the trunk. Not happening. So, I get the bag out of the trunk myself and as I'm rolling it to the luggage cart, surprise, one of the porters NOW decides to pay attention to me. Gee, thanks for the help with the bag buddy. Obviously at this point, I had determined I was not going to tip, because they didn't do their job.

Anyways, he takes the bag out of my hand and asked if I knew where to park (even though the parking lot was literally directly behind me). I told him I was good and as I go to get back into my car, he said "we're accepting DONATIONS and anything you can give is appreciated." I was shocked that the guy had the nerve to straight up ask me for money after he had the chance to help me with my bag, and actually earn the money, but instead he was too lazy to do so. I rolled my eyes, got back in the car, and went to park it.

I'm a generous tipper as I've worked many jobs where I relied on tips. But I always worked for my money. I wasn't looking for a "donation."

This is not the first time I've encountered individuals who feel entitled to a tip even if they do absolutely nothing other than being present to extend their hand.

We are seniors, and over the past few years my husband has started to have some mobility issues - that has left me to deal with the countless things that are part of getting to the ship - onto the ship - then back off the ship - and to the car service, taxi, shuttle, whatever with luggage. Particularly now that I have retired and we are at times away for three weeks, which has created more luggage.

I am more than happy to tip those that make things easier for me while we still can enjoy traveling - I factor that in as part of the overall cost of the trip.