Mambo Beach vs Irie Tour Western Beaches

jnelson

Our family will be heading to Curacao in a couple weeks. Can’t decide whether to station on Mambo and check out the city too or go on the Irie tour of the beaches in the NW part of the island. We have 2 teenage boys, 15 &16. Any advice would be welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been to Mambo. We did the Irie western tour and had a blast. It was mostly adults. Drank a lot, had a lot of laughs. And the beaches were beautiful. That being said, I will never do 6 hours on a bus again!!!

I did the Irie beach tour and it was great, seeing lots of beaches all in one day, but your sons might be bored with it and prefer just to stay/party on Mambo Beach all day, which would probably be the beach most teenagers would choose. Loud music, fast food, ice cream, crowded with girls in bikinis, beach toys in water, etc.

Most of the beaches on the tour are just a beach. No entertainment for teenagers.

I did the Irie beach tour and it was great, seeing lots of beaches all in one day, but your sons might be bored with it and prefer just to stay/party on Mambo Beach all day, which would probably be the beach most teenagers would choose. Loud music, fast food, ice cream, crowded with girls in bikinis, beach toys in water, etc.

Most of the beaches on the tour are just a beach. No entertainment for teenagers.

Thank you for your suggestions. I think that is what we are going to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Mambo beach last week after reading tons of reviews that recommended it as one of the best beaches on the island. I’ve been to almost 20 Caribbean beaches and this was by far the second WORST beach I’ve ever seen. Completely man made, and more of a narrow lake of water than the ocean. There’s a concrete wall built in the ocean to create the “lake”. There is some really neat fish that swim along the wall, but the surroundings underwater are so ugly! All concrete, no color. There’s a big drop off in the water, you walk in for about two feet and all the sudden it’s 5 feet deep.

I absolutely hated this beach!! I took 2 16 year-olds with me. They both also hated it, and asked to leave. They said it was boring, and the water was no fun.

The only reason I can think of that this “beach” gets such high reviews is because they’re coming from people who just like to lay on a lounge chair and be surrounded by things that make them feel safe. There’s a large shopping mall with stores and restaurants all along the back of the beach. There’s tons and tons of lounge chairs. Very “California” beach feel. Awful water. No water sports (like jet skis or kayaking or parasailing etc).

Also, the people who work at the beach constantly harass you to ask if you’ve already paid to be there (it costs $3.50 per person to be on the beach, and $3.50/person for a beach lounger, not expensive, but also not advertised anywhere). Keep your receipts because they will come up to you every 30 minutes or so and try to charge you again.

I hated, HAAAAATED this beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Also, the people who work at the beach constantly harass you to ask if you’ve already paid to be there (it costs $3.50 per person to be on the beach, and $3.50/person for a beach lounger, not expensive, but also not advertised anywhere). Keep your receipts because they will come up to you every 30 minutes or so and try to charge you again.

I hated, HAAAAATED this beach.

Good to know about the chairs. Don't know that we are going to Mambo, but this is good to know about the chairs, just in case.

Get yourself a cheap, small dive case. This is what we do. All cash, ids, etc go into that case wrapped around your wrist and no need to worry about people stealing it while the family is out in the water. Or need to have someone stay behind.