Homelands Excursions-number of people?

Manceor

We are getting ready to book our excursions for the Homelands Cruise. When it says "walking tour" how many people are typically in a group? I assume the panoramic bus tour has a full busload of people?

For those of you who have done the Homelands before are there any included tours that you would highly recommend?

Thanks!

The walking tour of Aalborg was excellent and we loved the Gdansk trip too. We thought the Eidfjord one was awful - coach took us to a small Exhibition centre not too far away, where we did the tour (the film was OK) and then were left to our own devices while we waited for the coach to return to take us back to the ship. Just a café and shop to amuse us. We would have been better to just take a walk along one of the many marked pathways from the village centre. (which we have done before on previous visits there).

I agree Aalborg was excellent and we had a terrific guide.

The Gdansk center is tiny so we had a nice walking tour and then had free time. Our direction was Stockholm to Bergen and had more time in some ports than an opposite direction.

The buses weren't full - we almost always had a few rows empty.

I didn't like Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Bergen included at all. Coach all the way with some photo opportunity. Wish we would just walk as we did in Tallinn and Eidfjord. The place is breath taking.

The walking tour usually be around 20 people.

Enjoy your cruise! It's very good.

I didn't like Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Bergen included at all. Coach all the way with some photo opportunity.

Enjoy your cruise! It's very good.

Totally agree re the Stockholm and Copenhagen included bus tours! We didn't do the included Bergen tour as we've been there a few times previously (and are there again next month). The ship is docked so close to the city centre and most of the major attractions are far better done alone, at your own pace.

However, I do appreciate that if this is the only time you are ever going to visit any of the ports, the overview tours do give you a flavour of a city. Only you can decided whether you want a whistle-stop tour, or to do a single attraction in depth.

I know you will have a lovely time, whatever you decide.

As newbies to Bergen we took the included bus tour with photo ops. Good for newbies. After lunch instead of Viking's optional we walked to the funicular on our own paid for the ride up. My wife rode down and I walked the 3 Km back down. Fun. Tour the Hanseatic Museum on your own too. Save $$.

Copenhagen included tour is mired in traffic, but unless you've been there OK to take as you get to the Palace grounds & the iconic Mermaid statue.

We enjoyed several optional tours but some like the Pulpit Rock cruise in Stavanger you can just walk off the ship a couple hundred yards and do on your own at half the cost.

We used Norled for Pulpit Rock cruise and loved it. It was cruise only but the beauty of the fjord is unbelievable. In some places it felt like the beginning of Time - it’s so pristine.

We fell in love with Norway :)

We used Alla tours for Saint Petersburg and LOVED it! It was phenomenal. We started piecing together Viking Excursions to compare price and stopped when the price was double what we paid Alla. Because they were local, we never waited in line and they adjusted our itinerary to the weather, tourist flow etc as we went. Had we known then what we do now, we also would have booked Alla for Berlin. The Viking train ride to Berlin was fine but after a very very brief drive around the city, we were dropped off in an area that could have been any big city in the US. Alla groups are small ( we hd 12) and all people from your ship. Their trip advisor reviews are stellar which is how we decided on them and their communication us excellent. You don't even have to pay anything until the end of the first day

We also used Alla Tours in St Petersburg and Tallinn. In St Petersburg we had 11 and in Tallinn only 5 of us. Both tours were exceptional.

In St Petersburg, our guide spoke perfect English, being a professor of English at the local University. They adjusted the schedule to work around crowds, so we lost no time, except Catherine's Palace.

Highly recommend them.

The walking tour of Aalborg was excellent and we loved the Gdansk trip too. We thought the Eidfjord one was awful - coach took us to a small Exhibition centre not too far away, where we did the tour (the film was OK) and then were left to our own devices while we waited for the coach to return to take us back to the ship. Just a café and shop to amuse us. We would have been better to just take a walk along one of the many marked pathways from the village centre. (which we have done before on previous visits there).

Jammy Bun - I am in a wheelchair so I’ve avoided all the moderate inclusive excursions. But I’m wondering if a bus just takes you to the town to start the tour and returns to take you back? If so, I might add it in to get to town and back. Will this work?

We used Alla tours for Saint Petersburg and LOVED it! It was phenomenal. We started piecing together Viking Excursions to compare price and stopped when the price was double what we paid Alla. Because they were local, we never waited in line and they adjusted our itinerary to the weather, tourist flow etc as we went. Had we known then what we do now, we also would have booked Alla for Berlin. The Viking train ride to Berlin was fine but after a very very brief drive around the city, we were dropped off in an area that could have been any big city in the US. Alla groups are small ( we hd 12) and all people from your ship. Their trip advisor reviews are stellar which is how we decided on them and their communication us excellent. You don't even have to pay anything until the end of the first day

We are planning this trip May of 2019. There are 10 of us going. I have been looking at another tiur company for Saint Petersbur, but concerned as I heard that you need a special Visa. Is this true. Was it easy to co-ordinate. Thank you.

Jammy Bun - I am in a wheelchair so I’ve avoided all the moderate inclusive excursions. But I’m wondering if a bus just takes you to the town to start the tour and returns to take you back? If so, I might add it in to get to town and back. Will this work?

Not sure which tour you're referring to. The Aalborg walking tour started from right beside the ship - it's a small town, very flat, and easy to get around.

The Gdansk coach was good, in that it went through the historic shipyard and the guide pointed out various landmarks and places of interest to us... including the place where WW2 started. On arrival in the city the coach dropped us off on the outskirts (it's not a big place) and the guide led us into the centre. He did the tour (excellent) and then we had some free time. He told us exactly where we should meet, and, at the appointed hour, led us all back to where the coach was waiting. So I guess you might be able to work out something to suit you there.

Eidfjord - if you are docked and not tendered - will be easy. It is just so beautiful, and lots of decent pathways for you to follow.

Have a fabulous time … we certainly did!

Janet

We are planning this trip May of 2019. There are 10 of us going. I have been looking at another tiur company for Saint Petersbur, but concerned as I heard that you need a special Visa. Is this true. Was it easy to co-ordinate. Thank you.

Many cruise ship lines promote the myth that only the cruise line can provide the Visa to visit Russia.

If you are aboard a cruise ship visiting Russia and returning to the ship at night, NO Visa is required, provided you book a tour with an approved company. We booked tours in St Petersburg with Alla Tours and at Immigration we handed them our tour tickets each day. The tour tickets were our de facto Russian Visa.

If you are not on an organised tour or staying ashore then you will require a Visa.

Edited by Heidi13
Spelling

Thank you I really pushed Viking today and finally had a supervisor state that as long as the other tour company meets us at the dock we do not need a seperate Visa. I really do appreciate the feed back on ALLA . Seem less expensive and most important we are a group of 12 so private tour seems great! Thank you for reply