What to pack

azgrandmax3

I will be travelling from Santiago Chile to Buenos Aires Argentina mid February. Will someone please inform me if I will need a winter coat on ship will cruising around the Horn? I expect I will while viewing the penguins, just unsure about other days. Thank you in advance.

February in the southern hemisphere is summertime, with that said you could get into some chilly air going around the southern tip of South America. Google "historical temperature averages" for you cruise/locations and that should give you an idea of the weather.

Layers are key, your own cold tolerance. I've lived in Midwest all my life what I consider cold, what others consider cold if they live where it is warm, 2 different things.

If you get cold easily, definitely bring a warmer jacket. If not, layers will work. Check the temperatures right before you pack and go by your own individual needs, what works for one, might not work for you. I'm doing layers. I was going to bring a warmer jacket but decided against it. I've been to Alaska, Iceland, Greenland so I'll do what I did for those trips.

Also think about how layers will work together. A rain jacket with a fleece can be a very effective combo as the rain jacket is a good shell to stop a lot of wind and the fleece is a good insulator, but that combo won't breathe well if you're perspiring (e.g., hiking). A good hat and gloves can also go a long way in helping to withstand cold for a modest duration, especially w.r.t. how little space they'll take up in a bag. I did a fleece with a full zip rain jacket and that was fine for light activity at about 35 deg in Alaska, but everyone's metabolism and comfort range is different.

I love fleece, but it is good to consider it's strengths (high loft/insulation, breathes well) and weaknesses (poor wind resistance, low insulation with moving air). Towels, especially bigger beach towels, also make good stand-ins for a shawl as an additional layer in a pinch.

I take it your from AZ, so as others have suggested, layer. Your like me in that I am from So Calif so not going to buy clothes for one colder climate cruise you might do once in awhile but take your best insulated jacket, sweatshirts, sweaters maybe gloves and layer. We did Copenahgen TA with Iceland this past August and did fine with the item of clothing I mentioned. I can't compare to the Horn etc as I have never cruised there so take the advise from those who have.

Packing is very personal, yet that time of year in SA is still not the “summer” temperature range one hopes.

I’m doing that SA cruise also, and in addition to the outerwear already mentioned (shell, fleece, winter jacket, layers, hat, gloves), I’m bringing a hefty scarf and wearing my big UGGs. If I can bundle my neck against the wind, I’m usually fine. But I run cold. I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’d rather wear UGGs on an excursion and be toasty than regretting I’d left them back home!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Leaving tomorrow for a cruise similar to yours. I have read, and re read up on weather in the area. I have packed and re packed !!!

The only consistent answer appears to be 'layers'.

I thought to take a padded jacket and boots, changed mind to fleece with waterproof kagool with trainers, changed it back again and now just don't know what to take.

Not sure about evening wear either. Always overpack at the best of times. wish I could travel with carry on.

I shall have a final look in the morning, close the case and pray !!!!

Enjoy your cruise, I'll be doing the same end of February! :) No boots for me, I'll bring my leather trainers and hope for the best. I will bring plastic sleeves from my daily paper with me (a few), they work well when it is rainy. I walk, usually every day and even with a wet snowfall keep my feet dry.

I also keep checking the weather for the ports we will visit to finalize my packing. I got by in Iceland with no heavy boots which take up a lot of room in a suitcase and didn't want to wear them out of our home in August which was running in the 100's so went with good non slip walking shoes.

I have done this itinerary a couple of times and I have just returned from a cruise to Antarctica that started and ended in Ushuaia. The coldest part of the 'round the Horn' cruise is when you are on the ship viewing the glaciers. Boots are not required, but you will need a warm coat and possibly a warm head covering and gloves. It is likely to be windy so a coat that cuts the wind is best. When I was in Ushuaia, the temperature was 8 degrees Celsius (46F), raining and very windy. When we returned it was a bit warmer. They had snow just a day or two before we arrived. For tours in the southern regions, layering is important. I doubt that hiking will be involved, but if there is much walking, waterproof footwear would be helpful. For this type of activity I wore what were described as 'waterproof' sneakers. They were waterproof for rain and showers, but obviously not for walking in water. For the Antarctic cruise, we all wore Wellington type boots that go nearly to a person's knees. These are totally waterproof, but are not required for a cruise that goes around the Horn.

In Alaska I used good quality "waterproof" trail hiking shoes (LL Bean) instead of standard boots.

Warm, very water resistant, good traction, comfortable for long walks, took up modest space (not much more than sneakers, little heavier though) and versatile enough to wear as a sneaker (albeit a lot warmer than a pair of vented nikes). Might be worth a look; also try stores like bass pro or cabelas for some more trail shoe options.

They've also worked great as my winter "boots" as they're easy to drive in but warm and stand up to winter slush great in the western NY winter. I have more serious winter boots, but the trail shoes have become my go to option for anything less than ~6 in of snow.

Good advice here! If I were younger :) (I'm not), I would have a trail shoe, definitely. There is no way figure it out, you have to be prepared for your planned activities.

I over planned for my 1st Alaska cruise, late April/May and they had the warmest 1st week of May on record. I had to buy a few short sleeve shirts, never used my boots, didn't put the liner in my jacket, it was in the 60s most days, unreal. There are no guarantees, preparation is key and your individual needs.