Planning My First Cruise

A USB hub will be fine. I have done many cruises, ocean and river, and I take an Aldi power hub. It has two power points and four USB ports plus international plugs. Never had a problem.

Thanks Lyndarra

I might check this one out, does Aldi still have them in stock?

Yeah that'd do the job. I've bought them from Aldi, K Mart, Target... basically whenever I find cheap packing cells I grab some. Makes it really easy to unpack too, toss a couple into each drawer or shelf and stick the suitcase in the closet or under the bed. Much easier than chasing rogue undies down the side of the suitcase.

Thanks los

What were the ones from Kmart like? in what section did you find them as I have only seen them online? Do you put all your clothes in them and what packing techniques do you use with them e.g. rolling? Do you use them for more than just clothing?

Re packing cubes. We have tried them, but find a better option for us is to use zip-lock plastic bags. Pack undies in one, socks in another, swim-wear in another etc etc. Simply pack into case, and then straight into drawers on-board. They take up no space and you can see exactly what is in them.

Re packing cubes. We have tried them, but find a better option for us is to use zip-lock plastic bags. Pack undies in one, socks in another, swim-wear in another etc etc. Simply pack into case, and then straight into drawers on-board. They take up no space and you can see exactly what is in them.

Thanks for the tip Mr. Walker

A USB hub will be fine. I have done many cruises, ocean and river, and I take an Aldi power hub. It has two power points and four USB ports plus international plugs. Never had a problem.

Yep got two of those Aldi ones, had three lines put in writing what they are fine.

Thanks Lyndarra

I might check this one out, does Aldi still have them in stock?

They're not permanently in stock. They are Special Buys and offered periodically. I haven't seen any for a while now so they could be due to have them again alongside luggage (we have their suitcases) and other travel goods. You can register on Aldi's website for notification of their Special Buys each week.

They're not permanently in stock. They are Special Buys and offered periodically. I haven't seen any for a while now so they could be due to have them again alongside luggage (we have their suitcases) and other travel goods. You can register on Aldi's website for notification of their Special Buys each week.

Thanks for the advice Lyndarra

Do you have an opinion on packing cubes you could share?

I love packing cubes - bought them cheap off ebay. I have tried a couple of packing routes - one cube for each day (undies, socks, top, jewellery etc for hubby / me) or all shirts, all socks etc. What works for us is most of the clothes sorted by type but then travel days having a pack. This is particularly helpful for disembarkation when you need everything out the night before except the stuff for the next day.

I am a bit OCD on my packing cubes and find labelling them helps - and then have the labels facing out so i can tell in the suitcase what is in each pack.

For me I love packing cubes as things fit better in the suitcase, keeps things neat and tidy and easy to find something. I also pop them straight in the draw when I get to the room so it makes unpacking a breeze. I get the see throughness of zip lock bags but in my mind they are slippery and may not "stack" as well as packing cells. In my suitcase everything (except the toilet bag) is in packing cells - including shoes so i am packing squares and rectangles into a suitcase. This creates an ability to maximise space and minimise spills....

My two other hints of things we must take are a motion sensor battery light for the bathroom (so you don't turn on the bright light when you go during the night) and a magnetic hook to hang your lanyards on. We put this close to the door and also use it to hold notices etc. Again both cheaply bought from ebay.....

Don't overpack but medication is good, don't fret about the food - there is always tonnes of it and they are used to dealing with groups. Relax and have a good trip.

I love packing cubes - bought them cheap off ebay. I have tried a couple of packing routes - one cube for each day (undies, socks, top, jewellery etc for hubby / me) or all shirts, all socks etc. What works for us is most of the clothes sorted by type but then travel days having a pack. This is particularly helpful for disembarkation when you need everything out the night before except the stuff for the next day.

I am a bit OCD on my packing cubes and find labelling them helps - and then have the labels facing out so i can tell in the suitcase what is in each pack.

For me I love packing cubes as things fit better in the suitcase, keeps things neat and tidy and easy to find something. I also pop them straight in the draw when I get to the room so it makes unpacking a breeze. I get the see throughness of zip lock bags but in my mind they are slippery and may not "stack" as well as packing cells. In my suitcase everything (except the toilet bag) is in packing cells - including shoes so i am packing squares and rectangles into a suitcase. This creates an ability to maximise space and minimise spills....

My two other hints of things we must take are a motion sensor battery light for the bathroom (so you don't turn on the bright light when you go during the night) and a magnetic hook to hang your lanyards on. We put this close to the door and also use it to hold notices etc. Again both cheaply bought from ebay.....

Don't overpack but medication is good, don't fret about the food - there is always tonnes of it and they are used to dealing with groups. Relax and have a good trip.

Thanks for the response Sweetp

It sounds like I am making the right call to get packing cubes, just hope the ones I can get at Big W work well

I love the magnetic hook for lanyards idea, did wonder where I would put them

Thanks losfp :)

Can you recommend any specific ones, where do you normally buy yours? also from Sydney looking into buying a 3 pack from Big W for $25

I have used these for 5 land trips,so in and out of them a lot and they are still going strong.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5pcs-Waterproof-Travel-Clothes-Storage-Bags-Luggage-Organizer-Pouch-Packing-Cube/122799830234?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D1d9e668ff20f413f959fc4726a370e10%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D263864429638%26itm%3D122799830234&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851