I never thought I'd be in this position.

stargate fan

I too cruised after JUST having been put on crutches for a stress fracture. I found that the staff was above-and-beyond helpful, as I didn't have time to contact the Special Needs team (as the crutches occurred the day before we sailed!)

A few things that worked well:

--When I got out of the car at the port, and started to crutch my way over to the terminal, a porter came running up to me with a wheelchair, and pushed me the entire way through the check-in process. We actually by-passed much of the line, including the arrival group photo (which we always take).

--At MUSTER, a crew member came up to me and noted by name/cabin number on a clipboard. He told me that "in the event of an emergency", they would send someone to my cabin to provide assistance to me. WOW!

--At MUSTER, I was allowed to take the elevators up/down.

--At the Lido buffet, someone ALWAYS offered to carry my tray.

--At several ports, there were industrious young men with wheelchairs, who would offer to push you alllllllllll the way down the pier, either to/from the ship, in the hopes that they would receive a tip.

--I had to cancel our Segway excursion, but was able to go to the excursions in the other ports than involved vans/boats. All tour operators were very helpful.

--I did use a wheelchair medway through the cruise for 2 evenings, as we were on the Vista and I was just exhausted from crutching the long distances of her decks.

Hope that helps!--CeleBrat

We had a similar experience. My husband had sciatic nerve issues and l4 and 5 herniated disks a few days before our cruise on the breeze in August. When we got to the port (Galveston) ,they whisked him away and us too, all the way thru security, and to the elevator of the ship. We thought about renting a wheelchair while in the ship but hesitated. The last 3 nights, we changed our mind and they let us use one to push him around. They only charged 50 and refunded it. When we got back to Galveston, carnival sent someone with us who pushed my husband all the way thru customs and stayed until we made it to the doors to leave. Excellent experience for us and especially since unexpected. They gave us special handling even though we didn’t ask. They just figured it out as he was walking funny and trying to push past the pain. Of course we went to the ER as soon as we got back home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be on the Vista out of Galveston heading to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Coz. First time on Carnival and we're looking forward to the trip. We're driving down from K.C. leaving Friday afternoon and taking our time to get to the boat. I've already warned DW she can bring back almost any souvenir she wants EXCEPT a Jamaican cabana boy! LOL!!! After the cruise, we have a week to get home with stops in San Antonio, Dallas, and OKC.

We sailed Vista Transatlantic in October, 2016.

If you are planning on dining at one of the extra charge venues, I highly suggest JiJi's. I believe it was the best Asian cuisine I have ever eaten! Chef's Table was also an amazing experience.

She was only six weeks removed from surgery the last time we cruised so it was rough - she didn't have as much fun as she could have. She really was confined to the wheelchair almost all of the time so, yea, not so much fun. This time - we know pretty much what to expect even though it is a different line so we can be a lot more at ease.

I swear recovery from TOPAZ was so much longer, harder and more painful than recovery from BOTH Achilles tendon rupture repairs combined, and I'm only three weeks post-op on the second repair.

I've read so many posts about how wonderful Carnival is with helping people with different physical abilities. I suggest contacting the Special Needs department. If your wife has any unsteadiness at all, a shower chair might not be a bad idea. That can be provided. I'll most likely need one. I might decide to rent an electric scooter. I can be one of "those" people at only 57 years of age. I hope it has a horn! "Get out of my way!!" ;p

We had a similar experience. My husband had sciatic nerve issues and l4 and 5 herniated disks a few days before our cruise on the breeze in August. When we got to the port (Galveston) ,they whisked him away and us too, all the way thru security, and to the elevator of the ship. We thought about renting a wheelchair while in the ship but hesitated. The last 3 nights, we changed our mind and they let us use one to push him around. They only charged 50 and refunded it. When we got back to Galveston, carnival sent someone with us who pushed my husband all the way thru customs and stayed until we made it to the doors to leave. Excellent experience for us and especially since unexpected. They gave us special handling even though we didn’t ask. They just figured it out as he was walking funny and trying to push past the pain. Of course we went to the ER as soon as we got back home.

Yikes! How is he doing?

It's still too early to figure out where I'll be come the day we leave: walking boot with crutches, walking boot without crutches, walking boot but not walking at all. We still have time to decide.

I had to use the services of wheelchair assist to get onboard a few months back, wonderful people, main reason for me was the long hike up the ramp to board. I thought they would let us board to an elevator but I was assured no problem. I had someone push the wheelchair up and make sure we could get to our cabin (we are Plat so headed that way as soon as boarded). Great service and we were onboard behind a wedding group.

Stargate Fan, her pain has decreased. We return to the OS on the 19th for another scan and hopefully no surgery will be required. Still unable to drive. If surgery is required it will be after the cruise. Thanks for asking. Hope your Achilles is healing and you are at least able to get into a walking boot before your cruise. By the way, what ship are you sailing on ?

Stargate Fan, her pain has decreased. We return to the OS on the 19th for another scan and hopefully no surgery will be required. Still unable to drive. If surgery is required it will be after the cruise. Thanks for asking. Hope your Achilles is healing and you are at least able to get into a walking boot before your cruise. By the way, what ship are you sailing on ?

Good to hear pain has decreased. (Hopefully she's not like me..."I feel better, let me do more..." Being a woman, she probably is. :D )

Relaxing on a cruise ship is great way to rest. Good luck at the os.

The Achilles is doing pretty well. Not being able to put any weight on my left leg, sitting around a lot, sleeping with the boot, and using crutches are driving me crazy!! (I cannot use a knee scooter after this surgery.) Not to mention that I'm bored to tears! My os will not approve me to go back to work yet. I suppose I should be happy about that part. I have 16 to 30 more days of this phase of recovery. I have to remember that the ends justify the means.

We're sailing Dream. We fly from Boston to NOLA on Oct. 2, embark October 4, debark on October 11, and fly home on October 14. We still have time to learn if I'll need to rent a wheelchair or power scooter for our time in NOLA and on the ship.

Paradise was the ship that started it all for us back in February, 2000.

Good to hear pain has decreased. (Hopefully she's not like me..."I feel better, let me do more..." Being a woman, she probably is. :D )

Relaxing on a cruise ship is great way to rest. Good luck at the os.

The Achilles is doing pretty well. Not being able to put any weight on my left leg, sitting around a lot, sleeping with the boot, and using crutches are driving me crazy!! (I cannot use a knee scooter after this surgery.) Not to mention that I'm bored to tears! My os will not approve me to go back to work yet. I suppose I should be happy about that part. I have 16 to 30 more days of this phase of recovery. I have to remember that the ends justify the means.

We're sailing Dream. We fly from Boston to NOLA on Nov 2, embark Nov 4, debark on Nov 11, and fly home on Nov 14. We still have time to learn if I'll need to rent a wheelchair or power scooter for our time in NOLA and on the ship.

Paradise was the ship that started it all for us back in February, 2000.

I'm am idiot.

We're sailing in November.

stargate fan, appointment went well no surgery ! OS showed us pics then and now the gap has closed nicely on its own. Still has to be very careful not fall again. Walking in flip flops, the bathroom step in the cabin or somebody not paying attention on the Lido deck/elavator and running into her. She knows how you feel, she's ready to get out of the house. Take a deep breath, take it day by day, we want you on the Dream at sail away November 4th !

stargate fan, appointment went well no surgery ! OS showed us pics then and now the gap has closed nicely on its own. Still has to be very careful not fall again. Walking in flip flops, the bathroom step in the cabin or somebody not paying attention on the Lido deck/elavator and running into her. She knows how you feel, she's ready to get out of the house. Take a deep breath, take it day by day, we want you on the Dream at sail away November 4th !

That's FABULOUS news!! I'm so happy for her. Please give her my regards and tell her to be extra careful. You need to be her snowplow, pushing everyone, especially the oblivious ones, out of her way. :evilsmile: I want to hear all about your cruise when you get back.

I started physical therapy this week. I do very light active range of motion (pointing toes - aka plantar flexion) and isometric (lower leg muscle strengthening) exercises a few times a day with absolutely NO stretching of my Achilles, like flexing my toes towards me. (Called dorsal flexion.) I am following surgeon's and pt's orders perfectly so I can frolic in the beautiful Caribbean Sea, even if I have to wear my VACOped in the water.

I am 34 days post-op. I had my second physical therapy appointment today. The incision is still not fully healed so my pt is a bit limited in what he can do.

But...he did predict that I'll be about 50% weight-bearing in two to three weeks. (That means walking with both legs but still using crutches.) He also predicted that I'll be full weight bearing in about five to six weeks, which is during the cruise. :eek: (We leave in 32 days.) Oh, goody! (She says with sarcasm. :rolleyes:)

But, but...I see my ortho surgeon on 10/2 and we'll wait for what he says. After that appointment we'll determine if I will need a wheelchair, electric scooter, just crutches, etc.

Again, recovering on a cruise ship with friends is so much better than recovering at home.

Please keep the advise and well wishes coming.

I am 34 days post-op. I had my second physical therapy appointment today. The incision is still not fully healed so my pt is a bit limited in what he can do.

But...he did predict that I'll be about 50% weight-bearing in two to three weeks. (That means walking with both legs but still using crutches.) He also predicted that I'll be full weight bearing in about five to six weeks, which is during the cruise. :eek: (We leave in 32 days.) Oh, goody! (She says with sarcasm. :rolleyes:)

But, but...I see my ortho surgeon on 10/2 and we'll wait for what he says. After that appointment we'll determine if I will need a wheelchair, electric scooter, just crutches, etc.

Again, recovering on a cruise ship with friends is so much better than recovering at home.

Please keep the advise and well wishes coming.

My suggestion to you, even if you are given the green light for full weight bearing, would be to wear a boot during the cruise "most of the time", especially when you are going to be in wet areas or having to deal with any stairs. All you need is to lose your footing on some water or a discarded Guys burger. After I was cleared to go "boot free", I attended a couple high school football playoff games. One was outdoors in a light rain, and another was in NRG stadium in Houston. Yeah I wore my boot...I was not going to risk a slip or mis-step in unfamiliar surroundings. And after being on crutches as you are, cruising around in a boot is no big deal.

My suggestion to you, even if you are given the green light for full weight bearing, would be to wear a boot during the cruise "most of the time", especially when you are going to be in wet areas or having to deal with any stairs. All you need is to lose your footing on some water or a discarded Guys burger.

WHEN I become full weight bearing, it will only be in the boot as the cruise is just 10 weeks after surgery.

I'm not even sure I WILL be full weight bearing by then. :confused:

After I was cleared to go "boot free", I attended a couple high school football playoff games. One was outdoors in a light rain, and another was in NRG stadium in Houston. Yeah I wore my boot...I was not going to risk a slip or mis-step in unfamiliar surroundings.

Very wise.

And after being on crutches as you are, cruising around in a boot is no big deal.

I'm actually quite nervous about the day I will be able to walk in the boot, without crutches. :eek:

Thank you for the advice and for sharing your experiences.

Well, I just can't catch a break!

It was very rainy on Tuesday. I was out and about and stopped at the market for one item...cauliflower.

As I crutched into the market, I noticed no electric scooters. Then I saw a few of them at the front of the store.

Crutch...crutch...BAM! I end up on my left side on the floor. In the front of the store. Right in front of everyone. I was fine on the rug, but once my left crutch made contact with the wet floor, it slipped out from under me and I went down. I must have been cognizant of my impending crash because I twisted to protect my left, booted leg and landed on my left hip. I sat and waited for a store manager, even though lots of people, both employees and shoppers, offered to help.

Long story short, I saw my ortho surgeon yesterday morning to rule out any MORE damage to my left Achilles tendon. The boot did its job and protected it!! Phew!! I should let VACOped know.

But, and there's always a but, my left hip hurts, the outside of my left knee hurts, and I have a slight sprain on the outside of my left ankle from when I hit the floor. (I call it a foot concussion, akin to a football player whose head bounces a little inside his/her tightly-fitting helmet when he/she lands wrong on the ground.) Good thing I'm already in a boot. ;p

The good news is that my ortho surgeon is very pleased with the strength in my left Achilles after only five weeks post op. He says I am recovering ahead of schedule. :D Yay!

The bad news is that the sprain is keeping me non-weight bearing for an extra week. :mad: Boo! My six week post op is now going to be my seven week post op. (We are attending a wedding next weekend and I was hoping to dance, ever so carefully of course, with the booted leg and crutches. Oh, well. It will still be a fun evening. Hopefully my husband and I can do a slow dance or two, with my arms wrapped around his neck, his arms wrapped around my waist, and my right leg doing all the work.)

The disconcerting news is that my ortho surgeon's goal is for me to be walking in sneakers on the cruise, :eek: which is only 38 days away. (We're leaving for NOLA in 36 days.) To expand on this, his goal is for me to walk on the ship in sneakers but to use the boot when we are walking a lot, like in NOLA and ports. We see him again two days before we leave.

In an earlier post I relayed that my physical therapist "did predict that I'll be about 50% weight-bearing in two to three weeks. (That means walking with both legs but still using crutches.) He also predicted that I'll be full weight bearing in about five to six weeks, which is during the cruise." Maybe my ortho surgeon's disconcerting goal isn't so...disconcerting.

Friends, buy lots and lots of shares in bubble wrap! I'll be wearing it to protect myself.

***My orthopedic surgeon specifically told us to NOT cancel our November cruise!!***

***Yes, we purchased trip insurance the day we booked this cruise, over a year ago.***

I am having my re-ruptured Achilles tendon surgically repaired 10 weeks and two days before we fly to NOLA for our cruise. (I had the first rupture repaired just 15 weeks ago. Grrr! Hey, at least I hit my insurance deductible with the first surgery so this one will cost $0.00 out of pocket. Silver lining.)

I will be mobile in a VACOped for our cruise. Does anyone who has been in a walking boot on a cruise have any tips to share?

(The VACOped is waterproof so I can still frolic in the pool and ocean.)

1) Did you arrange for a wheelchair to get up the gangway? How? (We are Platinum so we have priority embarkation, if that makes a difference.)

2) Did you rent a motorized scooter for the ship? Why? I don't know where to start looking into this.

2a) If you didn't, do you wish you did?

3) Should I contact Special Needs? What reason would I have to do so?

Thanks so much.

Special needs would be your best source. Most cruise lines have wheelchairs for emergency use only. There are some companies that rent and deliver the mobility equipment to your ship prior to embarkation.

Special needs would be your best source. Most cruise lines have wheelchairs for emergency use only. There are some companies that rent and deliver the mobility equipment to your ship prior to embarkation.

We have four weeks and two post-op appointments before the cruise. I will contact Special Needs once I know exactly what my mobility will be. Hopefully, I'll be very mobile.

Yikes! When you started your “grocery store slip n fall” story, I was cringing. I’m so happy to hear that your boot protected your foot. Keep us posted, your observations are very funny [emoji16]

Thank you for the kind words.

I can't imagine what I look like on the store's security video. :eek:

Thank you for the kind words.

I can't imagine what I look like on the store's security video. :eek:

Probably not as bad as me[emoji12]I slipped on wet tile in the grocery store and only hurt my wrist, but I sat there till someone from store management came by, which took longer than I thought it would. They were probably watching the store cam hoping I would crawl away and not complain[emoji23]