Room Service Dinner

Me from ME

I enjoy dressing for dinner and take different outfits for each night but my travelling companion considers it more of a chore. We will have a balcony and are considering room service for our evening meal. I haven't seen it addressed recently but I am wondering what can be ordered. If it is the same as what is available in the MDR how does one know the menu? I seem to recall that someone ordered 3 lobster tails on a formal night but that was a while ago. Which chairs and tables are used for alfresco dining?

Somewhat unrelated but while I am wondering. Do lanai passengers eat in their room or on their piece of deck if they want to do the same?

Depending on your cabin selection, it will depend what size balcony you will have and what chairs and table is on the balcony.

The dinner is posted outside the main dining room shortly after breakfast is done on some ships while others wait until lunch time to post the dinner menu. The Ocean Bar usually has a copy of the dinner menu in the afternoon.

This varies by ship -- you need to place your order within the first hour of the dining room opening which is at 5:15. You can request what ever time you want dinner delivered to the cabin.

Need to know what ship and cabin category you will be on to tell you exactly what furniture will be on the balcony. Most of the regular balconies have 2 chairs and and 1 very tiny, low cocktail table.

You can order anything on the MDR menu but it has to be done in the first hour that the MDR is open for dinner. Menus are posted at the MDR door and available at some bars around the ship about Noon. On some ships you see menus on the ship LAN using a laptop/tablet/phone, but I don't know if that capability has been added to the Veendam yet. I've never seen anyone eating outside their lanai cabin on the promenade but I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Need to know what ship and cabin category you will be on to tell you exactly what furniture will be on the balcony.
OP has posted several times on a Veendam roll call and stated above that he/she has "a balcony", so my guess would be a Vista suite. Edited by catl331

You can also order from the Pinnacle Grill. IIRC, a steak is $15 and lobster is $20. This isn't the full course selection. I think you sides are limited to mashed potatoes and mushrooms. You can also order from Tamarind if there is one on your ship.

You can also order from the Pinnacle Grill. IIRC, a steak is $15 and lobster is $20. This isn't the full course selection. I think you sides are limited to mashed potatoes and mushrooms. You can also order from Tamarind if there is one on your ship.

What about Canaletto, I have ne ver read anyone had dinn er from there as Room Service?

What about Canaletto, I have ne ver read anyone had dinn er from there as Room Service?

I don't know. You can order from the Dive In Grill. $4.95 which is mostly a delivery fee since you can get burgers for free by getting them yourself.

I don't know. You can order from the Dive In Grill. $4.95 which is mostly a delivery fee since you can get burgers for free by getting them yourself.

Thanks, Rocket. I don't care about Dive In. I am curiouis about having Room service from Canaletto. :)

The new Room Service menu does not have a Canaletto option.

I would ask the concierge to call and order so don't care about a paper menu. IF they will provide Room Service. I don't click those llinks. I'm not looking for a menu but an idea IF they will deliver.

I'm hoping someone knows a 'yes or no answer. :)

I would ask the concierge to call and order so don't care about a paper menu. IF they will provide Room Service. I don't click those llinks. I'm not looking for a menu but an idea IF they will deliver.

I'm hoping someone knows a 'yes or no answer. :)

They did not in December on the Eurodam.

Thank you all so much for the rapid reply as well as the specifics. I really appreciate it and the companion will be happy at the prospect of not "having" to wear a tie for dinner. (Although, he is very accommodating so we might just show up at the MDR in full regalia.) However, knowing that the order has to be in by 5:30 is a googd thing since it will make us have to be back on board by then and not after dark as is usually the case.

Yes, Vista Suite, either B or BA depending upon the deck plan. I am thinking the adjustable table from the stateroom could be taken to the balcony if deck furniture isn't sufficient.

And, thanks again!

Edited by Me from ME
speeeling in impordant

Thank you all so much for the rapid reply as well as the specifics. I really appreciate it and the companion will be happy at the prospect of not "having" to wear a tie for dinner. (Although, he is very accommodating so we might just show up at the MDR in full regalia.) However, knowing that the order has to be in by 5:30 is a googd thing since it will make us have to be back on board by then and not after dark as is usually the case.

Yes, Vista Suite, either B or BA depending upon the deck plan. I am thinking the adjustable table from the stateroom could be taken to the balcony if deck furniture isn't sufficient.

And, thanks again!

Not sure if you are aware, but your companion does not have to wear a tie to the diningroom. Not even for gala night.

I have not seen this posted yet, but remember that while you can select any delivery time, it normally will not be delivered the first half hour (or so) that the dining room is open for dinner. I think this is due to having to get the entrees prepared for everyone near the same time (for Early dining). In our latest test, they told us delivery would not be prior to 6 PM.

By the way, HAL is now putting the dinner menu on the TVs (not all ships have this yet).

Thank you, rocket. :)

You're most welcome.

I would add, we ordered steaks from the PG on our last cruise and it was very worthwhile. I don't know if this was peculiar to the Oosterdam or because we were in a Neptune, but the person who delivered our order told us to tell them next time we were dining on the balcony and he would bring a tablecloth, etc.

When we were on Westy a few months back, we received a MDR menu in our room every day. We would figure out out what we wanted and I would write it out and take it to the concierge. They appreciated this since it saved them quite a bit of time.

Our next cruise is a seven day on Rotterdam from Tampa. We've decided that we will do four dinners in the PG and two in Canaletto. We usually just go to the buffet for something simple on the last night and get to bed early. We have a 12 hour drive home the next day.

Not sure if you are aware, but your companion does not have to wear a tie to the diningroom. Not even for gala night.

Thanks for that reminder OVgirl.

And thank you also to RocketMan for the new room service menu. If PG offered other than steak or lobster I would be on it in a minute.

Thanks for that reminder OVgirl.

And thank you also to RocketMan for the new room service menu. If PG offered other than steak or lobster I would be on it in a minute.

You're welcome. Depending upon the ship, you might also consider room service from Tamarind.

We really enjoyed dinner on our balcony.

We do not understand the importance so many place on the MDR. We find it to be crowded and noisy. It's so much more civilized to have room service on your balcony. YMMV.

Recently, on the Noordam, Dive-In was open from 11:30 - 5:00 pm. Dive-In burgers via room service for $4.95 were available 24/7.

B

• 1 year later...

I will be in room 1101DD and want to know what is is included without paying extra regarding food. Inservice food is free?? It is my first cruise. Also..regarding alcohol. I can only bring one bottle wine? What deals or bars are good on Eurodam?? Are there deals for ex questions? I am going on Mexican Riviera cruuse on Oct. 21 - Oct. 28.

I will be in room 1101DD and want to know what is is included without paying extra regarding food. Inservice food is free?? It is my first cruise. Also..regarding alcohol. I can only bring one bottle wine? What deals or bars are good on Eurodam?? Are there deals for ex questions? I am going on Mexican Riviera cruuse on Oct. 21 - Oct. 28.

Room service is no charge. Dinner from the MDR is no charge. The room service menu is mostly free but there are some items with a surcharge. They are clearly marked on the menu.

Yes, one bottle of wine without charge. If you bring on more you will be charged a corkage fee of $18.

Best deal for drinks is Happy Hours. Buy one drink and get the second one (same type) for $2. Happy Hour times and bars are posted in the When and Where.

Hi Me from Me,

You can go to the Front Desk on the 1st day (board early and go before they're swamped) and ask for the week's worth of menus. We have done this only twice, as we were trying to determine which nights to skip MDR and go to specialty restaurants. They were more than accommodating; however, it's been a while since we did that. In this day of cut-backs, I can't say if they'd still do that, but it's worth a try.

I hope you and your companion have a wonderful cruise and enjoyable memorable meals on your balcony.