Oasis class or Quantum class with a baby (9-12 months)

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some valuable advice from all you far more experienced cruisers. We've only been on one RCCL cruise so far which was 2 years ago on the Freedom of the Seas and we loved it. We did the Western Caribbean back then. At that time it was only me and my wife, right now we have expanded with a 2 month old baby :D.

We want to do a 8 day Caribbean cruise (Ideally not the same itinerary) between March and July 2019 together with my parents in law. Depending on the time of departure the baby will be between 9-12 months.

We found some interesting options and they're all on the Allure, Oasis or Anthem of the Seas.

Allure and Oasis options all depart from Florida while Anthem of the Seas sails from Cape Liberty , NJ.

I'm not going to open another thread asking what class is better but I'm asking all of you which of these two types of ships would you recommend with a baby ?

Also in general I would like to know how dinner would work with a baby. Would you need to have dinner the first seating in the main dining room ?

So basically I'm hoping to find a lot of people here who also cruised with a baby and can give me some good advice.

Thanks a lot,

Kelvin

Would you need to have dinner the first seating in the main dining room ?

Welcome to CC.

You can have dinner whenever you want, even MTD, but it's hard to judge what kind of schedule the baby will be on at that time.

There are several reviews on here specifically related to bringing a baby on a cruise--try looking to see if you can find some--they seemed to have great info. My kids are a lot older now, but having been on Anthem and the Oasis class, I'd rather be on an Oasis class if it was a warm weather cruise and I might be spending a lot of time pushing a baby around in a stroller. We just came off Harmony and I was surprised at the number of young babies (under a year) on board in large family groups--lots of those flat pram style strollers being pushed around especially at night. Oasis Class has so many different spots to be--Central Park, Boardwalk, dedicated walking track, longer Promenade, etc that I think you could feel like you were enjoying most of the ship even if it's walking around pushing a stroller. Not as many places to go if it's super hot (Anthem has 270). Just remember that the baby cant go in the pools--only in splash play areas.

I'm not going to open another thread asking what class is better but I'm asking all of you which of these two types of ships would you recommend with a baby ?

Also in general I would like to know how dinner would work with a baby. Would you need to have dinner the first seating in the main dining room ?/quote]

Congrats on the new baby!!!

My son has sailed on 5 cruises starting with Anthem when he was 9 months old. He's also been aboard Brilliance, Harmony (2x's), and Freedom.

Biggest suggestion - utilize the Royal Babies and Tots program - available on Anthem and all Oasis-Class ships. The staff is professional, they take great care of the children, I recommend the program to all; but get there early on day 1 to begin to book times as they fill quickly (especially around dinner seating times).

Other thoughts:

1. Keep nap time the same as you would at home

2. Use Royal Babies and Tots during the evening - they're take great care during dinner.

3. Bring lots of wipes, diapers, swim diapers, supplies, etc. You can get them at port but you'll typically pay more & lose time from your excursion/tour/etc.

4. The splash areas for children wearing diapers are small on Anthem, Allure and Oasis. Harmony has a very large area with sprayers and slides.

5. Ask for a real fridge for your cabin to keep milk - stock up on milk from the Windjammer

6. Reserve the pack and play for your cabin but you'll need extra blankets/pillows as the padding is hard

You can check out my YouTube videos via my signature - the boy had A LOT of fun!!!