Lima to New York 2019

ToxM

Not back a week from Marina and whilst I am obviously in therapy from the 10 gallon hat incident, we are looking at another cruise on Oceania because we loved it so very much. Looking at the above itinerary in March 2019.

Anyone care to offer good/bad regarding Lima? From what i can tell regarding flights from the UK it seems to be a bit of a nightmare - any UKers with experience of this? I seem to remember reading about the port being a bit of a nightmare as well. So experiences regarding embarkation etc would be welcomed. Marital Unit is a terrible traveller (he turns into a rudely awoken from hibernating bear upon setting foot in an airport) so if the outbound leg is going to be a nightmare I would rather find a less stressful embarkation port and work from there, but we both like the sound of the above itinerary and there are several ports along the way I would count as on my bucket list, not least being the Panama Canal transit.

We should have booked onboard but Marital Unit is an odd un about things like that. Prime choice of cabin is waitlisted - if we book direct with Oceania - will they tell us what position on the wait list we are, and if we book with a TA will they be able to find that information out? I am not sure I want to be on tenterhooks waiting to see if we can get the grade of choice etc.

Thanks in advance wise Oceaniaeers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi ToxM,

We did the Lima to NYC on the Marina in 2016 and absolutely loved it! We were very fortunate that our TA got us First Class flights on sale on Delta. However we flew from the California not the UK - sorry. Are you planning on flying in early? If you are Kuoda Travel will take excellent care of you and your marital unit. They are a Peruvian owned company and we spent a week in their care. They took care of everything for us - I would use them again in heartbeat. Feel free to contact me at macgranitravel at gmail dot com. I too, have had to travel with a bear at times. :D

Haven't flown into Lima but departed a cruise there back to the UK. It was a cruise line booked flight with Air France and was not brilliant, others with more sense booked their own flights, internal to Buenos Aires or Rio and then BA home from there.

And i have a dim memory that friends who didn't take up the book on board option with O a couple of years ago did get an offer a week or two after they came back very similar to the on board one.

Hi ToxM,

We did the Lima to NYC on the Marina in 2016 and absolutely loved it! We were very fortunate that our TA got us First Class flights on sale on Delta. However we flew from the California not the UK - sorry. Are you planning on flying in early? If you are Kuoda Travel will take excellent care of you and your marital unit. They are a Peruvian owned company and we spent a week in their care. They took care of everything for us - I would use them again in heartbeat. Feel free to contact me at macgranitravel at gmail dot com. I too, have had to travel with a bear at times. :D

I echo these comments, except we did this itinerary in 2015. We also used Kuoda Travel for a pre-cruise visit to Machu Picchu and environs. This meant that rather than the six of us having to stand in that horrible long line to check in to the ship, they drove us right up to the sign-in place. If you're going to be coming so far anyway, you might as well see some more of Peru as well!! (Kuoda also picked us up at the Lima airport and we stayed at a hotel about 10 feet away ...)

Mura

Mura is right, Kuoda will pick you up at the airport and when it's time to board the ship they will safely deliver you to the dock. The food in Peru is wonderful as well. I seconded Mura's suggestion of taking extra time in Peru if you can. Even if you only stay in Lima, there are museums, a park with multiple amazing light shows, horse shows and of course shopping. Plus on your birthday you get cake for breakfast!

• 8 months later...

Back in 2015 we used Narwell Ecotours in Manta. We opted for the Cerro Jaboncilla/Montecristi tour at $75pp. There are a number of options available. http://www.narwelltours.com

In Salaverry we used Trujillo Tour ($65pp) to Chan Chan, Huacas del Sol and La Luna, etc.

http://www.trujillo-tourstouroperador.negocio.site

Our cruise didn't go to Esmeralda.

We enjoyed both these tours. I took over the Salaverry tour from a friend who had to cancel the cruise but arranged for the Manta tour.

Mura

Loved Peru. Salaverry looked like the moon but as we made our way into town the landscape changed and we loved the port. Side note, completed buildings are taxed ata higher rate so you will see many “in progress and under construction” buildings all over Peru.

Manta is where to buy a Panama hat if you are so inclined. The towin center, not far from the pier, had hats of all quality as well as people making them onsite. We skipped the hat excursion and used the savings to buy to high end hats.

Loved Peru. Salaverry looked like the moon but as we made our way into town the landscape changed and we loved the port. Side note, completed buildings are taxed ata higher rate so you will see many “in progress and under construction” buildings all over Peru.

Manta is where to buy a Panama hat if you are so inclined. The towin center, not far from the pier, had hats of all quality as well as people making them onsite. We skipped the hat excursion and used the savings to buy to high end hats.

I hear there might be a few tuna there also.

I went to Monticristo and bought a hat.

Embarked on The Riviera this past January and everyone, even those dropped off by travel companies had to wait in the sun for over 2 hours. It was terribly disorganized and not a reflection on Oceania but on the port. Water was distributed, but be certain to bring/wear sunscreen to be prepared if should this happens again. There were many sunburned cruisers the next day.

Despite that blip, Lima and the surrounding area is remarkable and worth the journey. If you have time check out the Nazca lines south of Lima.

Enjoy your planning!