Managing travel documentation

BarbaraGligoric

going on my first cruise in late Oct . Looking for suggestions on how to manage all the paperwork needed. I'm flying from Canada landing in New Orleans a few hours before embarking Carnival Dream. I've copied all my ID and credit cards in triplicate so I have a copy here at home.

We have a multi-pocket expandable file folder, which we use for travelling. Passports go in the first section, followed by flights, cruise documents, hotels, transfers to/from the cruise.

At the back we have copies of all tours, both private & ship and all my ports research.

This stays in one of the pockets of the back pack, so it is readily available. This system has worked for us for many, many years.

I just put the papers in a file folder.

BTW, flying in a few hours before a cruise is a recipe for problems. A delay or missing connection and you miss your cruise.

HIGHLY suggest you fly in the day before.

I agree with flying in the day prior if possible.

As far as the documentation, I simply use a gallon size ziplock bag..

I do this too; low tech and easy to use and access.

Roz

Lots of folks on CC recommend flying in "a day earlier."

Though it may only be an "academic" consideration for those folks who are severely time restricted by very structured employment or required educational attendance, modern air travel for anything not considered "commuter" runs (i.e., many multiple non-stops between hub cities) is no longer that flexible in creating a travel issue buffer for embarking cruisers.

Because airlines have become more efficacious in scheduling, the days of empty "red eye" flights and grab the "next" flight out (re: cancelation/interruption) are few and far between.

Yes, your misplaced checked luggage may get on the next flight (or three[emoji35]). But, unless you're a top tier FF (who will have priority for automatic rebooking on your preferred airline), the "next available" international originating/connecting flight seats for you may be more than 24 hours later. Yes (particularly during holiday periods), your rebooking involving a non-major hub may be dayS later.

For this reason alone it is always advisable to consider arriving dayS earlier and taking advantage of that possibly pricey airfare providing an incentive to visit a new embarkation city pre-cruise.

In selecting cruise itineraries, we generally look for new/different start/end ports and build in pre-cruise visits of at least 3 days (and post cruise of at least 2 days unless it's Swamplandia or L.A., in which case we prefer to leave ASAP). We also choose flight itineraries using large connecting hubs with multiple flights out to destination on our preferred airline (United) and/or its Star Alliance partners. The airline's FF service/reservation number is also a "speed dial" on my cell phone - ready to be called the minute I'm made aware of a possible connection problem (either automatically or preemptively) while other passengers are in line at the airport service desk.

These caveats are based on many years of international business travel. Of course, there's the cost of the extended stay. But, international air travel is the poster child for "don't be penny wise and pound foolish."

Since all correspondence is electronic documents nowadays' date=' I put it on a online storage such as Dropbox which I can then access from any computer or mobile device. Google Trips also comes in handy.

I normally do this for regular stuff, but I still carry paper copies. I know, its double the work but I would worry to not have the paper back up

Further to previous observations.....five years ago we were delayed for 6+ hours at Heathrow Airport, (we were among the lucky ones, some were forced to overnight), on our way to Prague from Toronto.

Turns out, despite the implausible 'explanations' offered, the delay was due to, (thankfully unsubstantiated), terror concerns; we arrived in Prague late, but the city hadn't sailed without us.

Ships? Not so much.

Lots of folks on CC recommend flying in "a day earlier."

Though it may only be an "academic" consideration for those folks who are severely time restricted by very structured employment or required educational attendance, modern air travel for anything not considered "commuter" runs (i.e., many multiple non-stops between hub cities) is no longer that flexible in creating a travel issue buffer for embarking cruisers.

Because airlines have become more efficacious in scheduling, the days of empty "red eye" flights and grab the "next" flight out (re: cancelation/interruption) are few and far between.

Yes, your misplaced checked luggage may get on the next flight (or three[emoji35]). But, unless you're a top tier FF (who will have priority for automatic rebooking on your preferred airline), the "next available" international originating/connecting flight seats for you may be more than 24 hours later. Yes (particularly during holiday periods), your rebooking involving a non-major hub may be dayS later.

I was coming back from Orlando one winter. Snow storm in DC area, so many flights got canceled.

I got stuck overnight, like a lot of people, but I was top tier on that airline. So waiting for the airport shuttle, I got talking to a family, who was also going to DC, and got their flight canceled. NO status with the airline.

I was booked out on the first flight the next morning, WITH my upgrade to First. They were booked out 3 DAYS later.

I was coming back from Orlando one winter. Snow storm in DC area, so many flights got canceled.

I got stuck overnight, like a lot of people, but I was top tier on that airline. So waiting for the airport shuttle, I got talking to a family, who was also going to DC, and got their flight canceled. NO status with the airline.

I was booked out on the first flight the next morning, WITH my upgrade to First. They were booked out 3 DAYS later.

Exactly.

Another high tier FF perk that makes a terrific difference for the occasional "weight bumping" that may delay baggage to a later flight: the clearly visible "PRIORITY" sticker sandwiched into certain airlines' luggage destination tag.

I normally do this for regular stuff, but I still carry paper copies. I know, its double the work but I would worry to not have the paper back up

We do this too.

Internationally we've had a hotel clerk or two that refused to look at our device. I showed them our "print screen" copy and that worked.

Paper comes in handy at times when WiFi or mobile data is non-existent.

As we book, I put everything in a 3 ring binder that stays on the desk next to the computer. On the outside clear pocket is a piece of paper that has written whatever I've decided to call the vacation, dates and any usernames or passwords I've had to create. On the inside is the confirmation of said cruise or vacation, airline reservations, hotel and car rentals, excursions, etc. as we make them. The week before our trip, that all goes into a zippered 3 ring binder (a tip from another CC member!) along with our Passports and any other odd documentation we may need. In final packing, that goes into my carry on bag. When we get to the cruise terminal, it all comes out, then goes right back into my carry on bag and never leaves again. (We also put our car keys in it!)

We do this too.

Internationally we've had a hotel clerk or two that refused to look at our device. I showed them our "print screen" copy and that worked.

Paper comes in handy at times when WiFi or mobile data is non-existent.

I'm another one who still has a paper backup. Especially when traveling internationally, you can't rely on technology.

Roz

The multi-pocket file-wallet is good once everything is decided and good to go. 6-7 or 10 pockets are good for most cruises! Front pocket for the "getting there" docs, etc. Just pull out the whole days papers.

Currently organizing two cruises and a land trip; finding the file-wallet annoying to have to get things in and out of. Going to use a binder with pocket dividers (for anything I don't want to hole-punch), then transfer to the wallet for the actual vacations.

ETA: also put any confirm/pin numbers IN the calendar-entry on your phone. If the desk clerk won't look at the phone, the numbers can still be read to them!

For major hotels, their app will have all the reservation details. Plus hotel address.

For others, I typically book through Booking.com, and their app gives the same.

Again, I don't use a pocket folder, just a normal one. I arrange the documents in the order I may need them. And toss them as they are no longer needed. No need for a reservation at a hotel after you check out.

For major hotels, their app will have all the reservation details. Plus hotel address.

For others, I typically book through Booking.com, and their app gives the same.

Again, I don't use a pocket folder, just a normal one. I arrange the documents in the order I may need them. And toss them as they are no longer needed. No need for a reservation at a hotel after you check out.

Yep, plain old manila folder with everything in the order it will be used. I also make up a folder for our emergency contact so they know our plans.

going on my first cruise in late Oct . Looking for suggestions on how to manage all the paperwork needed. I'm flying from Canada landing in New Orleans a few hours before embarking Carnival Dream. I've copied all my ID and credit cards in triplicate so I have a copy here at home.

Not sure what ‘a few hours’ is to you, but just want to double check that you are aware that most cruise lines require you to board 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to sail away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums