Best place to swim with manta rays?

liamur14

I’m unsure which is best, but I know I saw them in Bora Bora. They were to far down to say I swam with them, but I certainly got an amazing look at them swimming.

The guide certainly gave the impression there was a good chance of seeing them on the day snorkel trip...

Nature being nature, it’s all down to luck in the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The best we had was in Bora Bora, very shallow water 3-4 ft. we had to be very careful we didn't step on them as we got off the boat, there were so many of them. Our guide fed them, they were all around us. It was on a ship excursion. Enjoy.

Allan

You will see almost unlimited Mantas at Nuku Hiva. They will swim all around the ship and you can clearly follow them as they turn over. So cool to watch - I sat out on my balcony and watched them for hours. You could even see them at night.

To swim with them, focus on Bora Bora. However, make sure you schedule your snorkeling time in the morning. You won't see them as much in the afternoon.

• 2 months later...

Is everyone here talking about the same thing? Manta Rays are not stingrays. They are huge, up to 10 feet across or more. Stingrays I have seen are up to 3 to 4 feet across. So please clarify that you are talking about manta rays. Thanks.

Is everyone here talking about the same thing? Manta Rays are not stingrays. They are huge, up to 10 feet across or more. Stingrays I have seen are up to 3 to 4 feet across. So please clarify that you are talking about manta rays. Thanks.

We just returned from our cruise on the Paul Gauguin, and the only place we saw Manta Rays was snorkeling with Pure Snorkeling on Bora Bora. They are very large and stay on the bottom of the Ocean, but our guide found them and we watched them from the surface when they were at least 15 to 20 feet below us

We also saw from a distance the small Eagle Rays, a school of about 25 Eagle Rays also on the bottom of the ocean that we followed on the Pure Snorkeling tour.

Now, we saw the smaller Sting Rays many times on several different islands. This is the animal that they feed and comes right up to you while you are in the water with them. Our best experience with the Sting Rays was our other day on Bora Bora with Raanui lagoon tours. We also saw Sting Rays on Huahine, Aitutaki, and Moorea.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had a good experience with Pure Snorkeling. We saw everything they promised: Manta Rays, Eagle Rays, a gorgeous coral garden and a pretty decent spot that had a fair variety of fish. BUT: look sharp for their boat coming to the dock to pick you up. They don't make much of an effort to find you. Our guy got out of the boat and flashed a sign (which apparently had my name on it, but he flashed it so fast I never saw it), then immediately turned and walked back to the boat. I ran after him and when I got close enough saw "PureSnorkeling" on the back of his shirt and knew he was our guy. Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't run after him!