Medallion net

Jacob0525

We board the CB in 6 weeks so I looked at our dashboard for the cruise. Princess is offering MedallionNet voyage package precruise at $99.99 for the 14 day cruise.

It lists the following:

Stay connected like never before with the best Wi-Fi at sea. From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

*All Internet usage subject to Princess Cruises' standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings subject to change.

Carnival has three internet options that they offer on their ships. I wonder if Princess will do the same.

* social

Access the most popular social websites and applications. Includes Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, SnapChat and the most popular airline sites. Does not include access to most other websites or apps.

*value

Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music/video streaming (such as Spotify or Netflix).

*premium

From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

• Cellular-network-dependent WiFi Calling and Facetime services are also not supported
  • VPN connections are not supported - discuss your VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.
  • Satellite internet speed may vary depending on location and time of day
  • Video streaming sites such as Hulu and Netflix are blocked

Nope, didn't do sail away or M&G. Hubby fell in FLL on turnaround day so didn't do much around the ship this week other than babysit him. Although I think I saw the two of you coming out of the aft elevators yesterday...

So sorry to hear that, hope he has healed some and can manage the trip back to Boise OK.

Trina is the young blond (long hair) in her blue wheelchair, I'm the older tall bald guy...:D

Safe travels home, looks to be hovering around 80, nice fall weather.

We'll board again todsy and head to Panama for next 10 days then spend another 4 days down in the Keys.

Keep the weather at home nice for us.

Sorry we didn't meet, maybe another cruise.

Take care, back to Spudville...

Now that we are further down the schedule, has anyone seen a list of ships with MedallionNet upgrades? They are the only ones I could cruise.

The last report I saw (and it is a year old) showed the upgrades to Golden and Crown in November, 2018 and Ruby in January 2019.

We’re on the Regal now in the middle of the North Atlantic on the crossing from Ireland to Nova Scotia (it will end in NYC). So far, in 10 days, the internet has been reliable and fast every day ... even during our first three sea days.

Delighted (but possibly puzzled) to hear that, you were certainly north of the O3b satellites.

Are you on a buy-the-minute or unlimited-minute plan?

Streaming-fast or webpage-snaps-up-fast?

Can you do a speed test? For example, https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

O3B actually can reach to +- 50 Degrees and with the four more they launched in March they should smooth out the fringe gaps more. I read that Princess is or will be augmenting with GEO satellites so during signal loss at fringe latitudes when no o3b satellites are above the horizon so maybe they can push it a couple of degrees. Combined with on-ship DNS and Caching it might not be that noticeable.

O3B actually can reach to +- 50 Degrees and with the four more they launched in March they should smooth out the fringe gaps more. I read that Princess is or will be augmenting with GEO satellites so during signal loss at fringe latitudes when no o3b satellites are above the horizon so maybe they can push it a couple of degrees. Combined with on-ship DNS and Caching it might not be that noticeable.

Good to know about the 50º, and big buys of GEO bandwidth north of there is always possible.

Up to now, Princess has not been willing to do that since they have this odd idea that they

ought to make a profit providing internet-at-sea. ;) AFAIK, there are still no satellites in

polar or geosynchronous orbit with the steerable dishes that allow the O3b's to sell their

bandwidth so cheaply.

I'm *very* glad I'm not the poor soul whose boss said "Make it happen!".

I would have thought everyone ran an onboard DNS server already, and caching won't help

much with YouTube or Skype. Perhaps on-the-fly compression? Dunno, but from CC reports

it appears they've started doing something the last month or two. Hope it's not merely running

at a loss up north -- that simply isn't going to last.

I would have thought everyone ran an onboard DNS server already, and caching won't help

much with YouTube or Skype. Perhaps on-the-fly compression? Dunno, but from CC reports

it appears they've started doing something the last month or two. Hope it's not merely running

at a loss up north -- that simply isn't going to last.

Actually caching helps a lot on streaming sites by caching all of the images, scripts, etc. The big killer with GEO satellites is the speed of light. It takes the signal upwards of a second to go from your device, to the satellite 36,000 km up, 36,000 km down to the earth station, through the internet to the site and then back along the same path. It's the dozens or hundreds of requests that make up most web pages that makes the internet so painful on satellite internet. Protocols like RTSP used for streaming are mostly unaffected by lag. Skype and VOIP would of course have noticeable delays.

Thank you for your comments.

Delighted (but possibly puzzled) to hear that, you were certainly north of the O3b satellites.

Are you on a buy-the-minute or unlimited-minute plan?

Streaming-fast or webpage-snaps-up-fast?

Can you do a speed test? For example, https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

We’re now into our fifth sea day on the Regal and still no issue issues with fast internet. Can stream video with no problems. We are Elite and were given the unlimited internet for free as a “make good” for not having Ocean Medallion. Glad we didn’t .... much happier with free unlimited access.

We’re now into our fifth sea day on the Regal and still no issue issues with fast internet. Can stream video with no problems. We are Elite and were given the unlimited internet for free as a “make good” for not having Ocean Medallion. Glad we didn’t .... much happier with free unlimited access.

Currently still on the CB for 2nd half of 20 days and also no issues. Also given the comp of the free unlimited internet, good score.

The ship is coming along great with many more features added this past 10 days. They're working non-stop to wrap this ship up with additions and testing.

They pull you over to ask if you want to participate in "new this" or "new that" costantly.

End product is going to be incredible...

You'll be aloud to use as much of the system you want or just the basics, your choice.

Great system/tool, can't imagine the cost of this fleet wide let alone corp. wide...

I've talked to two customer service reps, one a Medallion rep. I was told that currently on the CP, that the MedallionNet while available for everyone, is free to those in a Medallion Cabin, and also to Platinum and Elite members.

I've talked to two customer service reps, one a Medallion rep. I was told that currently on the CP, that the MedallionNet while available for everyone, is free to those in a Medallion Cabin, and also to Platinum and Elite members.

I've spent the last month on Caribbean Princess. All passenger cabins are Medallion cabins on the Caribbean Princess. Unless something has changed today, it's only Platinum and Elites receiving free MedallionNet.

On CP for 2nd back of 20 days. Free only until testing is done. Been told by on board reps that most likely next boarding on the CP MedsllionNet will be an extra charge for everyone, that was expected for this portion we are on.

P&E status will still be by your minutes...

I've spent the last month on Caribbean Princess. All passenger cabins are Medallion cabins on the Caribbean Princess. Unless something has changed today, it's only Platinum and Elites receiving free MedallionNet.

Yes they are all Medallion ready, but I was told, not everyone receives an actual Medallion. Only certain cabins are using the actual Medallions at this time. Maybe you could confirm if that's correct or not.

On CP for 2nd back of 20 days. Free only until testing is done. Been told by on board reps that most likely next boarding on the CP MedsllionNet will be an extra charge for everyone, that was expected for this portion we are on.

I'm on the 28 September 2018 cruise and was told it would be free for Platinum and Elite members on this cruise. I asked her to check because I didn't want to get on the ship, find out it wasn't, and then have to pay the full fee when I could have availed myself of the 50% pre-cruise purchase discount.

Yes they are all Medallion ready, but I was told, not everyone receives an actual Medallion. Only certain cabins are using the actual Medallions at this time. Maybe you could confirm if that's correct or not.

Who was the Medallion rep you talked to? I've been doing daily Medallion updates for the last month from the Caribbean Princess. We started with one deck, then another deck, and then on. All passengers on all decks started receiving them at check in on Sept 8.

Who was the Medallion rep you talked to? I've been doing daily Medallion updates for the last month from the Caribbean Princess. We started with one deck, then another deck, and then on. All passengers on all decks started receiving them at check in on Sept 8.

Okay, then as usual one hand doesn't know what the other is doing...

Edited by drpack

On CP for 2nd back of 20 days. Free only until testing is done. Been told by on board reps that most likely next boarding on the CP MedallionNet will be an extra charge for everyone, that was expected for this portion we are on.

It looks like you are correct. I just spoke with a Medallion rep who told me that starting with my CP cruise on 28SEP18, that it will no longer be free. Platinum and Elite members will get their usual allotted minutes (250 for this 10 day cruise). After they use up those minutes, they can then purchase the MedallionNet by the day at a cost of around $14 per day. If you Purchase Pre-Cruise for the entire cruise, the cost is only $6.99/day. This is per device.

In the past when using MedallionNet, I was able to use more than one device on the same account as long as only one was used at a time. If a second person logged into an account already in use. It disconnected the account that was already logged in.

In the past when using MedallionNet, I was able to use more than one device on the same account as long as only one was used at a time. If a second person logged into an account already in use. It disconnected the account that was already logged in.

That's the way it works on Caribbean Princess, too.

IMG_1732.PNG

Deb is correct on all. We were on last cruise together and this present one. Next will be pay.

I could be wrong but believe if you purchase entire voyage at once the cost breakdown is $9.99 per day and $24.99 individual days.

Not in cabin right now to check paperwork.

The $9.99 per day for entire voyage is way worth it. Cost of a drink.

DR, the reps know nothing, information is slim onboard from the horses mouth.

Deb is right on the money she's your new Rep!...

Deb is correct on all. We were on last cruise together and this present one. Next will be pay.

I could be wrong but believe if you purchase entire voyage at once the cost breakdown is $9.99 per day and $24.99 individual days.

Not in cabin right now to check paperwork.

Pretty close. $9.99 a day for the package for the entire voyage or $19.99 for an individual day.

The $9.99 per day for entire voyage is way worth it. Cost of a drink.

Absolutely!

DR, the reps know nothing, information is slim onboard from the horses mouth.

Yep. The reps have just barely been put in the loop. And the Navigators around the ship (the staff helping passengers with Medallion-related things) are somewhat tight lipped because the target dates for the roll-out are fluid. Since several things are still in testing mode, and other things have to be verified and re-verified, they are learning not to give out solid dates because some passengers have been sharing things with other passengers (and on Cruise Critic) as factual when it really hasn't happened yet.

Deb is right on the money she's your new Rep!...
thanks, finucane

:D

I've been in the unique position this last month of having several one-on-one meetings with John Padgett, Chief Experience and Innovation Officer for the Carnival Corp (the one heading the project) and have met several times with members of the team. It was highly unusual for a passenger to be given such detailed info, but they've been reading along with my reports so it was important I was accurate in the information I delivered.

Was Sept 9 disembarkation day? If so, does that mean you could not use the Internet on disembarkation morning?

Actually, Sept 8 was disembarkation so it was disembarkation day +1. We wound up staying on for another cruise and it didn't expire until the 2nd day of that next voyage. Then we had to re-log in to the new plan.

On a side note, logging in doesn't require a user name/password/folio number like before. The initial setup uses just your birthdate and cabin number. And since it's unlimited there is no need to log out and log back in anymore.