Are excursions refundable?

FSU Girl

I just booked a Princess cruise. We aren’t 100% certain on our dates yet we are waiting to find out about a few schedules before we know we can do this date for sure, but we wanted a specific cabin so decided to book. I noticed that excursions are available already to book for this cruise. There are a few that I’d like to do, but was wondering since you have to prepay these if we end up having to cancel the cruise will these excursions be refunded as well? Some are really expensive so I don’t want to book and then find out I’ll be out a few hundred dollars.

Most tours are refundable until about 2 days before you arrive at the port.

A few high cost tours are either non-refundable or have a much earlier refund cutoff. This is for excursions like the flight from southern Chile to Antarctica and back.

You must read the fine print. For US usually up to two days in advance unless exotic involving helicopters etc. and if one on your first full day no when you board but it is likely other countries have different rules. I am on the Royal now and due to weather they automatically cancelled all Princess excursions. Those who prepaid private are left to fend for themselves and hope the company is reputable

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You must read the fine print. For US usually up to two days in advance unless exotic involving helicopters etc. and if one on your first full day no when you board but it is likely other countries have different rules. I am on the Royal now and due to weather they automatically cancelled all Princess excursions. Those who prepaid private are left to fend for themselves and hope the company is reputable

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll make sure to read the fine print for the ones I do decide to book. I've never booked a tour outside of a cruise before so probably won't end up doing that.

Is it normal that the excursions are already available to book for a cruise that isn't until next May? Seems really early to have them available, but it will be my first time booking excursions through Princess so maybe this is the norm? Is it possible new excursions will be added closer to sail date or are the ones that are currently available all that there will be?

Yes we have excursions already available for our June cruise. There could be new ones added in the next few months, and the prices can sometimes increase. For now you could add your favorites to the wish list and check back periodically to see pricing and if any new ones appear. I usually book ours about three months out, unless they start to fill up (the headcount will drop, although sometimes they will just add another busload). For very popular excursions (i.e. helicopter, famous landmarks, exclusive small group ones) I book about six months out. And as mentioned, it is very easy to cancel and/or change to a new one on the Personalizer.

Yes we have excursions already available for our June cruise. There could be new ones added in the next few months, and the prices can sometimes increase. For now you could add your favorites to the wish list and check back periodically to see pricing and if any new ones appear. I usually book ours about three months out, unless they start to fill up (the headcount will drop, although sometimes they will just add another busload). For very popular excursions (i.e. helicopter, famous landmarks, exclusive small group ones) I book about six months out. And as mentioned, it is very easy to cancel and/or change to a new one on the Personalizer.

That's good to know thanks! If I add them to the wishlist is that just to keep track of them, but it doesn't actually book them? And when I was looking at some it mentioned the capacity, does that number go down as its booked so you can see if something is about to sell out? Like one I was looking at said 30 people, so I'm wondering if others have already booked or that is just the max it allows for that tour?

It depends on what you mean by "refundable".

Read the fine print when you schedule your excursions. It will tell you (and PC customer service will too) that if you have paid for an excursion and decide not to take it, they will give you an on board credit, not "cash back" or a refund to your credit card.

Of course with an OBC, the balance with go toward offsetting your total cruise charges at the end of your trip, or can be used elsewhere on board.

Read the fine print when you schedule your excursions. It will tell you (and PC customer service will too) that if you have paid for an excursion and decide not to take it, they will give you an on board credit, not "cash back" or a refund to your credit card.

Of course with an OBC, the balance with go toward offsetting your total cruise charges at the end of your trip, or can be used elsewhere on board.

You can call and have them refunded back to your credit card. It will not be done automatically.

When I click on cancellation policy on the excursion it just takes me to the main FAQ page for cancellation policy. So if I don't fall into the specific ones like helicopter rides and private vehicles then the generic cancellation policy would apply?

I already booked excursions for our May 2019 British Isles cruise. I changed my mind on some of the excursions for our November 2018 cruise and cancelled. A credit was showing for those in my cruise planner. I then rebooked other excursions and the credit was used for that, plus payment for the excess with my credit card. Simple process. Most of the excursions can be cancelled up to 2 days prior, as others have mentioned. (note: I chuckled when one poster didn't know what country you were in, FSU girl. I'm married to an FSU guy.....LOL!)

I already booked excursions for our May 2019 British Isles cruise. I changed my mind on some of the excursions for our November 2018 cruise and cancelled. A credit was showing for those in my cruise planner. I then rebooked other excursions and the credit was used for that, plus payment for the excess with my credit card. Simple process. Most of the excursions can be cancelled up to 2 days prior, as others have mentioned. (note: I chuckled when one poster didn't know what country you were in, FSU girl. I'm married to an FSU guy.....LOL!)

We are a great bunch lol. When we booked the cruise we got onboard credit, can that be used towards some of the excursions, or does that not kick in until we get on the boat? What dates does your cruise leave for the British Isles, I wonder if we are on the same sailing.

I used OBC to pay for 2 excursions - you have the choice of using that or paying via credit card on the Princess website.

You put the excursions you want into your 'cart' then you have to go back into shore excursions to pay for what's in your shopping cart. That's where the choice of using OBC or credit card came up.

We're on the May 25 British Isles cruise from Southampton.

I used OBC to pay for 2 excursions - you have the choice of using that or paying via credit card on the Princess website.

You put the excursions you want into your 'cart' then you have to go back into shore excursions to pay for what's in your shopping cart. That's where the choice of using OBC or credit card came up.

We're on the May 25 British Isles cruise from Southampton.

Good to know, this could cover some of the excursion expenses. You'll be getting on while we are getting off.