Oia - how to get there independently

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Greece Ports
Athens, Corfu, Crete, Katakolon, Limassol, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Volos
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:20 PM.
Switzerland
2 Posts
Joined Sep 2018
Hi,

going on a Cruise in September / October this year. Not our first cruise, but it's been a while. And it'll be our first time in Santorini. Arrival is at 7am, departure at 5pm.

I checked the shore excursions with independent time in Oia. But it will only give us 90min in Oia. And we really wanna spend more time there. There are busses and of course taxis from Fira to Oia. Which is the better option? Any company I could (or should) book in advance? I know the cable car up to Fira will take lots of our time, so I wonder if it is worth to travel on our own or is the shore excursion still the better option?

Thanks for any help and advice!
Petaluma, Ca. 94954
32,935 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you look down the board there are many threads on the topic. The choices you have are fast ferry (from the dock below the tram), taxi, bus, even walking (it is a healthy walk).
Las Vegas, NV
1,241 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Do you know how many ships will be in port? 7am arrival is good and if your on one of the first tenders you might not have a long wait for the cable car. The fast boat will leave when it’s full and it won’t be the only one so which will fill first? You don’t know... if you can take the cable car and rent a car that would be the best option and most flexible.
California
6 Posts
Joined May 2016
We just came back from our RCL cruise last week. There are buses running between Fira and Oia every 20 min. We got off the ship at 7:30 am and no waiting line at cable station. We asked locals where bus station was and took the bus to Oia. You can find schedule at bus station. Bus fare is only 1.8 euro per person each way. We spent more than 2 hrs in Oia and took the bus back to Oia. No waiting line there as well. There were there cruise ships at Santorini port that ship.
Transportation was much convenient than what we thought and we saved money by taking public bus. No crowd at bus.
New York
338 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
When we were there a couple of years ago the boats to Oia from the tender area were not running. (I think it was due to a temporary strike.) We took the cable car up to Fira with no issues and then took the public bus over to Oia. Very inexpensive and easy. To find the bus station in Fira: with your back to the sea turn right when you get off the cable cars and walk through the town. The bus station is in the area behind the small archeological museum (also very good!) kind of on the back edge of town (if thinking of the cliff and the sea as the "front edge") It is a short walk and not hard to find. When you have had enough of Oia simply take the bus back again from where it dropped you off. Very easy and no problems. The bus ride is pretty interesting too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
None
2,371 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Bandit, we are also planning a cruise, for this time-frame, for next year.
I would very much like to hear how it goes for you when you arrive at Santorini !

I would like to take the Ferry from the Dock at Fira, over to Amoudi Bay, below Oia.
(this would avoid the Cable Cars, at least one way)

But, I have heard that if there are not enough passengers, it might not run.
Their website states that the Ferry runs on the hour.
I have just sent them a contact to see if the Ferry might be delayed, or not run... since we could be the only large ship at Santorini that day.
We will see if I get a good reply.

After your cruise, any info about your visit to Santorini would be much appreciated!
Michigan
3,210 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
We will be on the Reflection next September. We both use mobility scooters. It looks impossible for us going to shore with them. Hopefully my DH can use a walker. I am thinking a ship tour would be best. The downside is they drop folks at the cable car. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Ruth Ann
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Switzerland
2 Posts
Joined Sep 2018
After my return in mid-october I'll report back and let you know how it went.

Originally posted by Wishing on a star
Bandit, we are also planning a cruise, for this time-frame, for next year.
I would very much like to hear how it goes for you when you arrive at Santorini !

I would like to take the Ferry from the Dock at Fira, over to Amoudi Bay, below Oia.
(this would avoid the Cable Cars, at least one way)

But, I have heard that if there are not enough passengers, it might not run.
Their website states that the Ferry runs on the hour.
I have just sent them a contact to see if the Ferry might be delayed, or not run... since we could be the only large ship at Santorini that day.
We will see if I get a good reply.

After your cruise, any info about your visit to Santorini would be much appreciated!
308 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
About the so-call fast-ferry from Tender port
a) It is normal boat (slower than NYC waterways)
b) They always lie that it is leaving "soon". They leave when it is full. There usually two boats. So guess which one will get full. (luck)
c) There is small steep hill when you get off the boat (no problem for most people)
d) Bus that takes you up from Amoudi bay shore to Oia will have less seats than boat so few people wil have to stand during that zig zag ride
e) Bus from Oia to Fira that is through this boat company is unmarked and chaotic.
f) They constantly lie about last time for the included bus

If cable car is backed up then boat option is still better but set expectations as per above
New Cumberland,PA, USA
30,772 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by budster
We will be on the Reflection next September. We both use mobility scooters. It looks impossible for us going to shore with them. Hopefully my DH can use a walker. I am thinking a ship tour would be best. The downside is they drop folks at the cable car. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Ruth Ann
Your information is correct. We are not aware of other options.

Hank