Cancelling Standard Tips

Potty Terracotta

Interestingly, we have just got back from the delayed Oriana cruise where we had an extra night. They decided it would be open seating for dinner. We went to the MD to ask if we could all be on our Table for 8, same table. We were told no, but we could sit together. A lot of other people felt the same. The following day, it was announced they had changed their minds and we would have the usual two sittings at our proper table. Now I don't know what others did, but we had removed our tips and given our envelopes the previous night. However, the dining room was absolutely full and lots of people were giving envelopes and thanking their waiters, so yet again, I do not notice these empty chairs in the Dining room on the last night.

Not sure about your maths - apart from short 3 or 4 day cruises, you can't buy many cruises for less than £700 or £800. An additional £60 is not 10%, and is only likely to deter the most cash strapped cruisers.

You can easily book a week long cruise for £600 or less.

I have several times in recent years, to give a couple of examples -

7 nights on Oceana in April this year £569.

14 nights on Oriana in June last year £787.

Edited by insanemagnet

Not sure about your maths - apart from short 3 or 4 day cruises, you can't buy many cruises for less than £700 or £800. An additional £60 is not 10%, and is only likely to deter the most cash strapped cruisers.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

15 night repositioning cruise on Azura from Southampton to Barbados is currently selling for 799pp direct with P&O or 769pp with my TA, that includes an overnight in Barbados at the end of the cruise.

15 night repositioning cruise on Azura from Southampton to Barbados is currently selling for 799pp direct with P&O or 769pp with my TA, that includes an overnight in Barbados at the end of the cruise.
That's a good price, although I assume it is not for a balcony. I would be very tempted if we weren't doing a round trip to the Caribbean next month.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Interestingly apparently P&O is the company the crew from India most like working for (which would suggest they are treated fairly and equitably, despite working on a single contract basis). Having said this as Celebrity and other companies have so many ships and are building new ones all the time, the competition is growing. The other lines apparently pay more and offer better career progression which means many are choosing to take contracts with other lines, as they have to weigh up who they like working for against who pays more and offers more opportunity. It's interesting that it seems to be the base pay attracting them to other employers rather than approaches to tipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interestingly apparently P&O is the company the crew from India most like working for (which would suggest they are treated fairly and equitably, despite working on a single contract basis). Having said this as Celebrity and other companies have so many ships and are building new ones all the time, the competition is growing. The other lines apparently pay more and offer better career progression which means many are choosing to take contracts with other lines, as they have to weigh up who they like working for against who pays more and offers more opportunity. It's interesting that it seems to be the base pay attracting them to other employers rather than approaches to tipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course the link between P&O and sub continent crews goes back perhaps 150 years as this ink shows.

http://www.pandosnco.co.uk/crews.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums