A bit annoyed!

Fox trotter

So I booked a Queen Elizabeth cruise last week. I had been hoping to book a Princess Grill suite, but after checking all the usual travel agent websites and Cunard's own website for a few days, it was apparent that all PG suites were fully booked. After thinking about it my wife and I decided to splash out on one of the few remaining Queens Grill suites, adding quite a bit of money to the overall cost!

Now just a week later on checking again, I find Cunard is showing 8 PG suites available. Would this likely be a few cancellations ? I doubt it as they suites are all adjacent, or do Cunard hold back some lower price suites in the hope of selling more expensive ones?

Had I waited a week I could have saved a fair chunk of cash!

Dont think suites are held back on our cruise we were Q6 on QE and we had hoped for a free upgrade having booked on brochure release day but even though from about a month before the cruise numerous times suites were available in QG and PG and then sold out and then available again this happened a few times and we didnt get an upgrade.

Why would that be the case? Is it because TA's are holding rooms? Just asking.

Keith

Could well be. Last fall the NYC-QBC segment on QM2 was sold out on Cunard's US site but an online TA still had some inventory. (This is the other side of waiting before booking. Yes, one might pick up a great deal or one can instead watch the ship sell out.)

BTW, I just sent in final payment for 21 days in PG but the current price is $2K higher that when I had booked. Should Cunard cancel me because they would get more revenue from a new booking?

It also could be caused by upgrades. When categories sell out, Cunard will offer discounted upgrades which can free up cabins. I've had this about 2 to 3 months before travel from inside cabins to balconies for a low cost when insides were sold out.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

The price and availability of our cruise last November on QE was all over the place, we booked a P2 and the price eventually dropped around 45%. After complaining we were upgraded to a Q3. I followed the prices right up to sailing date, and cabin availability and prices were changing weekly, it really is a gamble.

The price and availability of our cruise last November on QE was all over the place, we booked a P2 and the price eventually dropped around 45%. After complaining we were upgraded to a Q3. I followed the prices right up to sailing date, and cabin availability and prices were changing weekly, it really is a gamble.

Why not just get the money back? I usually book and then check once a month or so and when the price drops, I call and they credit me whatever the difference is back on my card. The only time I have not gotten this done is after I make final payment. But I have booked Q or P cabins a year out, then gotten back anywhere from 400-1000 as the price dropped over time. The shore side people are always happy to credit me back the amount.

In the UK it is normal that you are stuck with the price you originally paid when you booked unlike in the US. Actually Adammara did very well to get a free upgrade in the past when it has happened to me I have had no luck with cruise lines whatsoever.

Oh sorry - I was not aware of that. I have been just calling and getting back a little here, a little there. Strict over there! Sometimes they will call a few weeks before the voyage and they will offer an upgrade from P to Q. The my "refund" goes right back to them!

To clear things up, when the price dropped so dramatically I made a claim to cancel the contract, as per their terms and conditions, i.e. making a significant alteration.

40.Whilst Cunard will do its best not to cancel orto make any significant alteration after a booking has been made, it shallnevertheless be entitled at any time prior to departure to cancel the Contractor to change and or curtail the Package where this reasonably becomes necessaryon operational, commercial or other grounds. Cunard will inform the Passengerof any such cancellation or change of Package as quickly as possible (with,where appropriate, written confirmation as soon as reasonably possiblethereafter). If Cunard makes a significant alteration to the Package it willinform the Passenger or his travel agent as soon as reasonably possible. ThePassenger will have the choice of either accepting the alteration, accepting anoffer of an alternative Package of comparable standard if available (Cunardwill refund any fare difference if the alternative is of a lower value) orcancelling the Package and receiving a full refund of all monies paid. ThePassenger recognises and agrees that it will not normally be possible for Cunardto offer an appropriate substitute Package which is available at about the sametime as and or with a similar itinerary to that originally booked, but Cunardwill do its best to provide a suitable alternative Package of similar durationand value. The Passenger must notify Cunard of his decision as soon asreasonably possible and in any event not later than 14 days of being informedof the significant alteration.

They offered us an upgrade to a Q3, retaining our 'free drinks' and $1680 of onboard credit as well, in the event we probably broke even. It was our 'Farewell' cruise, and it was certainly the best of our 41 cruises by far!