Britannia - Bad Flu

gohugo

There is only sparse evidence that it is airborne, like the medieval miasma. NHS England does not mention this possibility. Only in close contact with a sufferer who is coughing or vomiting is it likely. The idea that it is widely distributed via an atmosphere or the ship air com is false imo.

David

Viruses spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes, expelling viral-infected droplets several feet. These viruses can also live on any object that comes in contact with an infected person. Objects such as door handles, telephones, towels, and silverware can spread a virus days after being contaminated.

From the NHS UK site

Colds are spread by germs from coughs and sneezes which can live on hands and surfaces for 24 hours.

So it is spread by contact and airborne. someone sneezes, the droplets with virus travel several feet, land on your fork which you then stick in your mouth. The virus itself is not airborne but the droplets are. The droplets themselves can travel up to 25 feet :eek:

A similar bug has been doing the rounds on Aurora as well, with a high proportion of the passengers on the current South American Circumnavigation feeling rough and having bad coughs.

The term ‘flu’ is overplayed these days and used generically for heavy colds or viruses. As several doctors have said to me over the years, if you really have flu and you see £1000 on the floor, you will be too ill to bend down to pick it up!

True - I am 71 YO and have never had "flu" in my life - I have had very heavy colds which have become bad upper respiratory tract infections (caused by bacteria) - but never the influenza virus. If you did have flu, then you probably wouldn't be even able to see the $1000 on the floor -

Viruses spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes, expelling viral-infected droplets several feet. These viruses can also live on any object that comes in contact with an infected person. Objects such as door handles, telephones, towels, and silverware can spread a virus days after being contaminated.

From the NHS UK site

Colds are spread by germs from coughs and sneezes which can live on hands and surfaces for 24 hours.

So it is spread by contact and airborne. someone sneezes, the droplets with virus travel several feet, land on your fork which you then stick in your mouth. The virus itself is not airborne but the droplets are. The droplets themselves can travel up to 25 feet :eek:

Which is what I wrote in my post (Only in close contact with a sufferer who is coughing or vomiting is it likely)

DAVID.

Which is what I wrote in my post (Only in close contact with a sufferer who is coughing or vomiting is it likely)

DAVID.

I actually read it differently. If it lives on surfaces for 24 hours, then anyone who touches lift buttons, hand rails, or table tops and then puts their hand near their mouth (which happens more often than you think) can catch it. So I think it can spread very easily, even if not in close proximity.

Certainly, my line of thoughts now is that I would rather go on a cruise that doesn't require flights, and is in the summer UK time so there is less chance of getting a bad cold \ flu or some other bug that usually goes round in the winter months. I may think less strongly about this once I have completely recovered, but I wanted to come back from holiday refreshed so I could get on with work with vigor. Instead, it has been a real struggle.

I should feel right at home when we travel on Britannia in a couple of weeks,I started with a cold in November & am still coughing!

I was on from 16feb-2mar and didn’t notice any coughing.

A few medical emergencies mind you, but no one in sick bay by the final sea day.

When 'things' are really bad, we check the MRD menu posted near the entrance, note our choice and refuse to handle the menu folders. These are withdrawn when there is a third stage virus 'lockdown', as are the condiment sets etc.

Always take precautions with the TV remote controller, the really ill clasp it, particularly when in bed, Anti-gel it carefully.

Watch out for persons who put handbags etc. on the buffet tables, these have often been placed on toilet floors! Others then occupy the table, before the staff have cleaned it and instead of using their tray, place their utensils directly on the contaminated surface.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners 143 ports

When 'things' are really bad, we check the MRD menu posted near the entrance, note our choice and refuse to handle the menu folders. These are withdrawn when there is a third stage virus 'lockdown', as are the condiment sets etc.

Always take precautions with the TV remote controller, the really ill clasp it, particularly when in bed, Anti-gel it carefully.

Watch out for persons who put handbags etc. on the buffet tables, these have often been placed on toilet floors! Others then occupy the table, before the staff have cleaned it and instead of using their tray, place their utensils directly on the contaminated surface.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners 143 ports

Can never understand the need for ladies to carry a handbag into the buffet, when their cabin is only a minute or two away. What has to be carried around that is so important?

I am bracing myself for the answers!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Can never understand the need for ladies to carry a handbag into the buffet, when their cabin is only a minute or two away. What has to be carried around that is so important?

I am bracing myself for the answers!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Seeing as how you asked, all my OH's junk. The same OH who reacts with horror when a man bag is suggested.:D:D

Anti-bac gel does nothing against viruses. Flu and colds are viruses.

Agreed, my mis-use of virus, still my point is valid in respect to norovirus. It is most unlikely that cabin staff deep clean TV remotes.

I second the OP. On the Ventura at Christmas, after two or three 'deep cleans' at the commencement of cruises, staff were not even changing tablecloths between diners. Only after 'someone' was brought on board to deal with a problem that had been on board for at least three cruises, were simple precautions taken i.e. paper menus and no salt&pepper!! Didn't see anyone cleaning lifts etc.

In the Costa shop, the staff were not even wiping dirty tables and a server threw a wobbly when asked to wipe all the crumbs etc. off the table by a customer!

Well, we all want the cheap drinks and cheaper prices on Pando - perhaps this is at the expense of low staffing levels? Although, I did notice that the supervisory staff just marched around looking important!!

Norovirus is also a virus as you can tell by the name. Anti-bac gel is less than useless for most things. Also, if we all used less anti-bac anything, our immune systems would be a lot stronger to fight the bugs.

There's a worry that an increasing number of bacteria are developing a resistance to many antibiotics because of over-prescription, and I wonder if there could be a risk of the same thing happening with anti-bacterial gel.

Yes, I saw a programme which said exactly that. We grew up without all these anti this and that. We have sound immune systems. I don't remember anybody at my school with asthma, or allergies. I don't use anti bac anything at home. I also have 2 dogs and I know that kids who have dogs in their home develop a much stronger immune system than those who don't have animals.

Yes, I saw a programme which said exactly that. We grew up without all these anti this and that. We have sound immune systems. I don't remember anybody at my school with asthma, or allergies. I don't use anti bac anything at home. I also have 2 dogs and I know that kids who have dogs in their home develop a much stronger immune system than those who don't have animals.

Excellent post. Someday maybe the penny will drop as to why we have so many ailments around that were rare years ago. I was raised in a household that was basically clean but where we ingested a dose of various nasties every day rather than killing them with powerful chemicals. We didn’t know it at the time but we were getting free immunisation daily.

Never knew anyone with asthma.

DAVID

I worked in education for 34 years. When I started as a teacher in the 1970s there were about 2 children with asthma or allergies in the whole school. When I retired 5 years ago there were 2 or 3 with chronic illnesses and allergies in each class of 30!

Kids in our young days used to be out all day, either playing in the woods, or in the streets. We got filthy, climbed trees etc. etc. Now they play on ipads, sit watching telly and hardly get out. I cycled to school aged 7, about 1.5 miles. Yes I know, you can't go back and I love modern things, but it's out of hand and obesity is becoming normal apparently in our youngsters :-(