Coral Princess Southbound Alaska Balcony Cabin Advice

jez1967

I'm going on the Coral on my first Alaska Southbound trip. I am having a terrible time deciding which balcony cabin to choose. I'm looking at either an Emerald Deck BE cabin with the larger balcony by the aft stairs on starboard side, or same deck BF cabin by the front stairs on the port side. The third cabin I'm interested in is Dolphin Deck BE cabin on starboard side once again by the front stairs. I like to be on lower decks and closer to the sea and I am aware I will also be using the forward and aft viewing decks sometimes, just not sure which ones are better to be close to in Alaska and which cabins people like better.

Thanks for any advice anyone might have.....

I believe that Kitty is correct.

Heading Southbound, then most of the time, the view might be on the Port side.

I might prefer more forward to aft.

Except for that first evening, sailing out and around from Whittier, I think most of the waters are calmer protected waters.

So, there might not as much concern about motion in the more forward cabins.

Last two trips we booked an obstructed OV rather than a balcony (although don't get a cabin over the Wheelhouse Bar stage!). Much cheaper. Why? Because we spend about 90% of our time in the glass-enclosed Lotus Pool area. Nice padded loungers as opposed to the mesh chairs on the balcony. Often not that busy. Do get some of the Pendleton blankets that they also use for Movies Under the Stars. These can be checked out for the whole cruise. While we usually sit in shorts in there, there can be some drafts. And in the pool area you can pick which side you want to sit on depending on view. Doors at back on lower level and middle on upper level lets you step outside for pictures.

We've sailed Alaska twice. Once in an inside (our first cruise and it totally hooked me) and the second time we booked an inside but took a cheap upsell to a window mini suite. We found the best viewing from the decks as you can see both sides. This is especially true in Glacier Bay. On Coral you have forward and aft viewing decks on Baja and Caribe decks.

I'm going on the Coral on my first Alaska Southbound trip. I am having a terrible time deciding which balcony cabin to choose. I'm looking at either an Emerald Deck BE cabin with the larger balcony by the aft stairs on starboard side, or same deck BF cabin by the front stairs on the port side. The third cabin I'm interested in is Dolphin Deck BE cabin on starboard side once again by the front stairs. I like to be on lower decks and closer to the sea and I am aware I will also be using the forward and aft viewing decks sometimes, just not sure which ones are better to be close to in Alaska and which cabins people like better.

Thanks for any advice anyone might have.....

If you are near the stairs any of these cabins would be fine. Further aft or further forward you are above the Universe Lounge or Theater. In general sailing southbound views while sailing would be on the port side. The best views of the sights, such as Glacier Bay, are from the open deck and not from the balcony.

Most of the time which side of the ship you are on is irrelevant. When you are on open sea you will be too far away to see anything. May see mountains in the distance. The trick is to go on a cruise to Alaska and be blown away by it all.

True, Bob!!!

The specific cabin we wanted meant that we were on the Starboard side of the ship on the Southbound.

I don't really remember that being a factor for us.

But, if one does expect to spend a lot of the time, during the day, on their own balcony.... I suppose that which side is a fair question.