New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

omah1975

Don't get to excited! Look at the current P&O Arcadia, ordered in 2000 for Holland America, then it was going to be Cunard QV and ended up as P&O Arcadia! Anything can happen in 5 years, and the UK could be in a post Brexit depression around then.

Looks a bit like the new Holland America design.
That was my first impression, but then I took a closer look at the Queen Victoria and was not sure I saw a significant difference between that and this new ship. Now that I look again, I see what you're talking about. It surely does look like a larger version of the Nieuw Statendam.

That's not a good sign. No real promenade deck on that ship.
Positive or negative is subjective, and as we've seen with Holland America's switch from R/S/V classes through to Signature/Pinnacle classes, there will be many people who liked the way things were and therefore will likely not like the changes while at the same time there will be many people who will sail the line for the first time either pleased with what's offered by the changes or perhaps even pleased because of the changes.

What seems undeniable now is that what a lot of us have been saying for many years about these "ship-as-destination" changes - that such changes are probably limited to the economy grade and mid-grade lines as a reflection of the proclivities of the mass market choosing those options - was incorrect. This seems to be a clear indication that those with their pulse on the market for luxury (albeit not necessarily super-luxury) cruises are seeing the same signs as those with their pulse on the economy and mid-grade: A very strong shift towards ship-as-destination, and therefore a moderate de-emphasizing of sea-as-destination and a moderate de-emphasizing of ports-of-call.

I don't think we'll see a Cunard ship with a water park on the top deck or an IMAX theater on board - but I was wrong about whether Cunard would ever turn toward ship-as-destination at all, as well, so who knows?

Considering the rather conservative and unimaginative Carnival Corp PR Department views it'll be another Queen name, dependent on who is the head of state around 2020-21. Queen Catherine maybe yes (If Wills happen to be King by that time), Queen Camilla definite no. so it'll be probably be Queen Anne etc.

Personally I would like to see the name Mauretania or Aquitania return again. Mauretania might not be so marketable as younger generation might associate it more with a third world African country instead of previous famous Cunard liner. (Years ago a friend once told me: "We dine in a restaurant named after a country where there is hardly any proper food at all")

Looking at the design I wouldn't be surprised if they will use the MSC Yacht Club, NCL Haven Concept by putting the Grill Class on top with restaurants, lounges, private deck etc. However I also see some built up behind the funnel, so it might be there as well.

Too many passengers for my liking.

DJ

It's not so much the absolute number of passengers that concerns me (although I don't disagree with you) but the number of passengers compared to the size of the ship.

If the numbers we've seen so far stay unchanged then it will have 50% more passengers than QE or QV on a ship only 25% larger. Or, 15% more passengers than QM2 on a ship 25% smaller!:eek:

How are those numbers computed? I don't feel that gross tonnage tells the same story as public space square footage. What seems clear to me is that some newer ships are beginning to trade off volume space (read: large, open atriums) for more public space square footage crammed into a smaller ship. No question that that still makes the ship feel more cramped, but that cramped feeling comes from (so-to-speak) the top rather than from the sides, and I, for one, don't find that to be as objectionable. If I want open space above me, I'm happy to go topside, but I don't like being crammed shoulder to shoulder walking down the hallways and such.

Wow that is good news! Perhaps Queen Anne (1702-1714).

Studying the graceful lines of the vessel I am thinking Queen Bertha (565-601) is more apt.

What is more interesting is how going to four ships will affect the dynamics of itineraries and in particular the transatlantic schedule.

Regards John

Just saw this (not sure if I can post the link, but I assume its a copy and paste press release)

Fincantieri and Carnival Corporation said Monday that they have signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) for the construction of one next-generation cruise ship for the iconic luxury brand Cunard.

The ship, which will be built at the Monfalcone yard and join the Cunard's fleet in 2022, will weigh 113,000 tonnes and carry 3,000 guests, a statement said. "With this agreement we once more link our company's name with Cunard's, a real icon of the cruise market, confirming us as a shipbuilder able to combine tradition and innovation like no one else in the world," said Fincantieri CEO Giuseppe Bono.

"It is a lasting journey that, besides the construction of the two authentic 'queens' like "Queen Victoria" and "Queen Elizabeth", stresses the importance of our partnership with Carnival. In fact, for this Group we have built 63 ships, representing today almost two-thirds of their fleet, with other nine to come in the coming years. A cooperation which can be defined as historical, based on relationships of mutual respect and trust".

Passenger Space Ratios:

QE + QV: 90900gt / 2092 = 43.45gt per passenger

Queen Mary 2: 149215gt / 2695 = 55.37gt per passenger

New Cunard Ship: 113000 / 3000 = 37.7gt per passenger

So roughly about 13%-14% less gross tonnage per passenger compared to QE/QV

Azura at 115,000 tonnes and with around 3100 in lower berths (I think) would be similar to the gross tonnage / passenger ratio of this new Cunard ship. Unless the 3000 passengers refers to the maximum capacity including upper berths.

Happy that Cunard has enough business to justify expansion, but sorry the new ship has to be a Koningsdam knock off. We already know this design does not have a traditional promenade deck which is a Cunard attribute. The lifeboats sit on the deck with a narrow walkway behind them, and a few open patches. Unfortunate.

It makes sense though that the design is shared with another brand. The same is true of the two Cunard Vistas. Of course the interior will be tweaked to allign with the Cunard brand which is good. K-dam has very mixed reviews. That is for sure. Many HAL traditionalists are not happy with her.