Best beach to spend the day?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:06 AM.
11,694 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by bfamily4
I meant car. We are a family of 5 so we don't fit in a regular cab.

Do they have chair/umbrella rentals in maho beach? Clean restrooms?

I see. You will be fine with the taxi vans.

Right now there is no beach in front of Sunset so no umbrella rentals.

There is Beach and chairs at the other end of the beach at the Driftwood bar.

Decent washrooms at SunsetBar and Grill.
29 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Originally posted by Karysa
What is an “actual taxi”?

St. Maarten taxi’s are van style taxi’s.

How many fit in a van-style taxi? Are they metered or do we have to negotiate the prices before getting in?
Colorado Springs
491 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by bfamily4
How is maho after the hurricane? We're thinking of going there to watch the planes. How far is the drive from the port? Do they have actual taxis or just vans? Are there restrooms there?
Maho Beach is recovering nicely. The two big things you will notice that the sand down by Sunset Bar has been washed away and there are big rocks there instead. The other 2/3 of the beach has lots of sand, however. The other thing is that the big planes do not come as frequently as they used to. You will see may 2 or 3 a day, where you used to see 10 - 12. The smaller prop planes are still arriving on a regular basis however.

Originally posted by kimsy888
How many fit in a van-style taxi? Are they metered or do we have to negotiate the prices before getting in?
The taxis will fit up to 12 people I believe and it is a set price from the port to Maho Beach - based on 4 passengers. If there are more than 4, and the drivers ALWAYS try to fill to capacity, then it will be a per person charge depending on the size of your group. Long way to say you will need to confirm a price, not really a negotiation since the price is set, prior to getting in the taxi.
canada
175 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by karysa
i see. You will be fine with the taxi vans.

Right now there is no beach in front of sunset so no umbrella rentals.

There is beach and chairs at the other end of the beach at the driftwood bar.

Decent washrooms at sunsetbar and grill.
thx!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dcl Magic 2014-B2B Bahamas
Dcl Magic 2015-Western Caribbean
Ncl Getaway 2016- Western Caribbean
RC Oasis of the seas 2018- Eastern Caribbean.
canada
175 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by RMH
Maho Beach is recovering nicely. The two big things you will notice that the sand down by Sunset Bar has been washed away and there are big rocks there instead. The other 2/3 of the beach has lots of sand, however. The other thing is that the big planes do not come as frequently as they used to. You will see may 2 or 3 a day, where you used to see 10 - 12. The smaller prop planes are still arriving on a regular basis however.

The taxis will fit up to 12 people I believe and it is a set price from the port to Maho Beach - based on 4 passengers. If there are more than 4, and the drivers ALWAYS try to fill to capacity, then it will be a per person charge depending on the size of your group. Long way to say you will need to confirm a price, not really a negotiation since the price is set, prior to getting in the taxi.
Thank you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dcl Magic 2014-B2B Bahamas
Dcl Magic 2015-Western Caribbean
Ncl Getaway 2016- Western Caribbean
RC Oasis of the seas 2018- Eastern Caribbean.