Current input of cruisers to this port?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:24 PM.
minnesota
712 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by RMH
We will be on the Independence docking in St Maarten on Dec 25. We plan to hit Mullet Bay and Maho Beach. Same offer of any specific questions that Mike made above.
Please post about Mullet Bay beach !! We will be there in May 2018 on the Allure. We always walk from Mullet to Maho and have a burger and beer at Guy's. I'm already planning on buying whatever the ladies on the beach are selling so I sure hope that there is a beach !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
258 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by mikebz
I will be on Grandeur in December, docking in St Maarten on December 17, so I guess we will be the first ship. I am planning to go up to Orient Beach, but if anyone has specific questions, I can see if I can answer them.

Regards,
Mike
We are on the Jewel, docking in St. Maarten on December 26. We would love to go to Orient Beach. If you learn of anywhere there we can go to, that would be great!

Renee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12/24/2017 ~ Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
12/22/2013 ~ Carnival Valor (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
01/2007 ~ Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
08/2005 ~ Carnival Liberty (Mediterranean) 12 Day
03/26/2005 ~ Celebrity Constellation (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
Raleigh, NC
97 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
There's an update on Bernard's Tours on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/BernardsTours/). They are ready to go. Been to St Maarten three times and have taken Bernard all three times - looking forward to getting back in April.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up: 2018 Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
. . . . . . . . 2018 Carnival Ecstasy
. . . . . . . . 2019 Carnival Fascination
August 2017 - Carnival Ecstasy
June 2017 - Carnival Vista

July 2016 - Carnival Valor
May 2016 - Carnival Fascination (best so far)
August 2014 - Carnival Liberty
June 2013 - Carnival Dream

......St John 2016
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
328 Posts
Joined May 2006
Visiting St. Maarten in January. Has anyone done the helmet dive shore excursion? Any thoughts? I have watched youtube of people and they have had their photo taken...does the company take photos for you to buy, or do you have to bring along a waterproof camera?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Twenty years from now, you'll be more disappointed in the things you didn't do, than the things you did do."

Mark Twain

Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska May 2003
Vision of the Seas Alaska July 2004
Norwegian Sun Alaska August 2006
Norwegian Star Mexican Riviera March 2011
Golden Princess Hawai 14 days January 2012
Caribbean Princess Eastern Med May 2015
Regal Princess East/West Caribbean January 2018
11,588 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by alexmom
Please post about Mullet Bay beach !! We will be there in May 2018 on the Allure. We always walk from Mullet to Maho and have a burger and beer at Guy's. I'm already planning on buying whatever the ladies on the beach are selling so I sure hope that there is a beach !!

Mullet is apparently in great shape. I have had 2 airlines cancel on us for our new year's visit but if the 3 Rd one IS the charm I will report back on Mullet after our trip.
minnesota
712 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Karysa
Mullet is apparently in great shape. I have had 2 airlines cancel on us for our new year's visit but if the 3 Rd one IS the charm I will report back on Mullet after our trip.
Thanks Karysa!! You and Gary are the ones who sent me to Mullet Bay 5 years ago. It has become our happy place when cruising and we return often, never tiring of the beauty of the island and graciousness of the people. We will be there in May and also December '18.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mechanicsville, VA
344 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
As we own a timeshare there we have been following the recovery efforts very closely. The first cruise ship (Viking Cruises) arrived today to much fanfare.

Everyday another restaurant announces they have just opened or about to. Orient Beach was totally wiped out and will not have any establishments open for many months. Karakter Beach (one of our favorites) is a great alternative and they are fully open.

The boardwalk looks to be in very good shape and many stores/restaurants are open.

While the island will not be 100% for some time, it is my opinion that cruisers will have an excellent visit!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank Rohrback

CarlaCosta - 1987; NCL Norway - 2002; NCL Dream - 2003 Baltic Cruise
NCL Crown - 2004 Bermuda Cruise; Caribbean Princess - 2005
Caribbean Princess - 2006; Celebrity Equinox - 2016; NCL Dawn - 2017
Celebrity Equinox - 2018
11,588 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by SeaTrailer
As we own a timeshare there we have been following the recovery efforts very closely. The first cruise ship (Viking Cruises) arrived today to much fanfare.

Everyday another restaurant announces they have just opened or about to. Orient Beach was totally wiped out and will not have any establishments open for many months. Karakter Beach (one of our favorites) is a great alternative and they are fully open.

The boardwalk looks to be in very good shape and many stores/restaurants are open.

While the island will not be 100% for some time, it is my opinion that cruisers will have an excellent visit!
I hear that Orient beach itself is being enjoyed by the do it yourself types of visitors. Will it really be months before there are vendors of any type there?
Painesville, OH
187 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
This video of Orient Bay seems to be from November 28th. It still does not look good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVC19mB_ciQ
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest 1/2018, Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas 11/2017, Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 1/2017, Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2/2016, Carnival Conquest 11/2015, Carnival Pride 1/2015, Carnival Valor 1/2014, Carnival Dream 1/2013, Carnival Freedom 1/2012, Carnival Liberty 2/2011, Carnival Inspiration 12/2010, Carnival Dream 12/2009, Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 1/2009, Carnival Freedom 1/2008, Carnival Destiny 1/2007, Carnival Valor 1/2006, Carnival Inspiration 1/2004, Carnival Destiny 12/2001, Carnival Fascination 1/1999, Norwegian Norway 10/1994, Carnival Celebration 2/1993
11,588 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by jimm
This video of Orient Bay seems to be from November 28th. It still does not look good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVC19mB_ciQ

Thank you. That is tough to watch but certainly shows the devastation of the follage and buildings. I have read where folks are going to and enjoying the beach. I wouldn't be able to myself just yet.
13,271 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by Karysa
Thank you. That is tough to watch but certainly shows the devastation of the follage and buildings. I have read where folks are going to and enjoying the beach. I wouldn't be able to myself just yet.
Totally agree. Surprised that Royal Caribbean actually has shore excursion listed for Orient Beach on their site for Dec sailings.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROLL TIDE!!!
Steve
Connecticut
12,768 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by bajathree
Totally agree. Surprised that Royal Caribbean actually has shore excursion listed for Orient Beach on their site for Dec sailings.
There may or may not be rest room facilities - but, even if not, there are a number of Caribbean beaches without such amenities which still attract cruisers. I would hope that Royal Caribbean would make status clear.

Bottom line: a beach is a strip sand along the water - even without shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Orient is still a beach.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Royal Caribbean, January 2018
Colorado Springs
418 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by navybankerteacher
There may or may not be rest room facilities - but, even if not, there are a number of Caribbean beaches without such amenities which still attract cruisers. I would hope that Royal Caribbean would make status clear.

Bottom line: a beach is a strip sand along the water - even without shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Orient is still a beach.
The only excursions that mention Orient Beach in the excursion section of Independence of the Seas for the Dec 25 port stop are the ATV Adventure and the 4x4 Tour. You basically do your tour inland and then stop at the beach for a break. My guess is those doing the tour are not looking to be pampered on the beach with food, drink, and comfortable loungers.

But, I agree, they should make it clear, and currently it does not say anything about the condition of Orient - only this "Orient Beach: Cool off with a swim in the turquoise waters and relax on the pristine white sands" and this "Enjoy panoramic views of the mountains, then stop at Orient Beach on this on and off-roads tour."

Mechanicsville, VA
344 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
As to Orient Beach, my understanding is new regulations are being proposed before anyone can rebuild. Yes I believe it will be months before restaurants/bars will reappear on the beach. Right behind the beach there is a shopping area near where La Playa was. These is an Italian restaurant that has already reopened so some progress is being made.

As to still going to the beach itself. yes, I agree that if you are fine with sitting on a towel and enjoying the water it is a great beach to visit!

Every week some place on St Maarten reopens. With all the demands on resources it will take time but in my opinion this island is still one of the top to visit!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank Rohrback

Celebrity Equinox - 2018
11,588 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by navybankerteacher

Your Bottom line: reminds me of the beautiful Orient beach I first visited in 1992.

I loved it. Post Irma is not the same as a beautiful untouched beach. The “brokenness” is heartbreaking to me.
258 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Anything?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12/24/2017 ~ Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
12/22/2013 ~ Carnival Valor (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
01/2007 ~ Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
08/2005 ~ Carnival Liberty (Mediterranean) 12 Day
03/26/2005 ~ Celebrity Constellation (Southern Caribbean) 7 Day
Mechanicsville, VA
344 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Not sure what you are asking let's go cruising?

Several fine dining restaurant have just reopened in Grand Case. Karakter Beach has posted the Christmas menu for Breakfast and Lunch/Dinner and the Blue Bitch Bar has reopened on the boardwalk. I am seeing posts almost every day about another reopening. Now they just need customers!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank Rohrback

Celebrity Equinox - 2018
11,588 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by SeaTrailer
Not sure what you are asking let's go cruising?

Several fine dining restaurant have just reopened in Grand Case. Karakter Beach has posted the Christmas menu for Breakfast and Lunch/Dinner and the Blue Bitch Bar has reopened on the boardwalk. I am seeing posts almost every day about another reopening. Now they just need customers!
People are also concerned about their safety. It's fine that restaurants and beaches are open but we need to know that the area is safe. Any word on safety in these areas in the last month or so since things are getting back to normal?