GAPearl Goes Solo on the Splendor! 11/1/14 SJU-MIA Repo Cruise Review.

gapearl

Oh it's okay, I'm just getting to the Sea Day of the Southern route, you haven't missed much. :D

I never thought Canada would be such a cool place, so I always had it on the back burner, until I was planning a land trip to Niagara Falls and the price began to scare me. So, I happened to wander to Carnival's site to play around, and within 2 hours I was booked with a friend. I really enjoy the Canadian Maritimes, they have some really cool attractions. Cannot wait for this cruise, I really booked it for a break (with the same friend from the original!), but the stop in Saint John will be nice too. It's a different atmosphere onboard, but it's pleasurable. You'll get up there someday!

But you're right, I hate seeing people go get wasted at Senor Frogs in places like San Juan and Saint Thomas. Hello?!? El Morro is a 10 minute walk!! A cab only costs $4 into the city!! For all those shots, you could be on an island tour!!! But you're right, to each his own. I know I don't pay all of that money in cruise and flights to get to some of the most culture-rich places on the planet and not go exploring. I had some really great cultural connections on the Southern route, and I will continue to write about it. But that's the real reason I cruise, to connect with cultures.

Speaking of flying, I'm coming to ATL! I wanted to book a Med cruise SOOOOOOOO badly, but I could not deal with the 8 hours stops, and all there was to see. How can I possibly choose between Florence, the Tower of Pisa, or the Cinque Terre (Cinque Terre wins in that race ;))!! So, instead of a 12 night one way from Barcelona to Athens with 3 days in each city before / after, I crafted a 19 night Athens to Rome land trip via Crete, Olympia, Homestay in Sicily, Palermo, and Naples. I cannot wait for my 4 days with a real family in Sicily! But we fly from FCO to ATL, and then ATL to IAD. If I see you, I'll say hi!

Again, you're really going to love Asia. But yes, brush up on your Thai, if you're like me and you like to venture into far-out places, you're going to need it! But again, thanks for the amazing review!! :D

Oh gawd I see you resurrected my very first review! :eek: They've come a long way since then. LOL It's been 3 years since my Mediterranean cruise. I looked at some of Vista's Med itineraries, but none of them really jump out at me, especially at those prices with the single supplement. I would love to go back to Barcelona because I only had 2 days there, it was cool and rainy, and I never got to see the beaches. Plus it's a short hop from Barcelona to Ibiza, and I really want to go there for the nightlife. Homestays are a GREAT way to experience local culture. I did one in Guatemala last year. The family was so nice (spoke ZERO English so I got a lot of practice) and the mom really got me out of my comfort zone and trying a few new foods. Rome is an amazing city. Gosh I'm jealous of that trip! :p

Well, I got through it all tonight! Great review! OMG it's late gotta go to sleep now!

As always enjoy your travels and take care!

Harold (not the one you had a disagreement with)

Hi Harold! Thanks for taking the time to read and post all the nice comments. Have a blast when you board the Splendor tomorrow! :D Watch out for the cornbread. Hahaha

Oh gawd I see you resurrected my very first review! :eek: They've come a long way since then. LOL It's been 3 years since my Mediterranean cruise. I looked at some of Vista's Med itineraries, but none of them really jump out at me, especially at those prices with the single supplement. I would love to go back to Barcelona because I only had 2 days there, it was cool and rainy, and I never got to see the beaches. Plus it's a short hop from Barcelona to Ibiza, and I really want to go there for the nightlife. Homestays are a GREAT way to experience local culture. I did one in Guatemala last year. The family was so nice (spoke ZERO English so I got a lot of practice) and the mom really got me out of my comfort zone and trying a few new foods. Rome is an amazing city. Gosh I'm jealous of that trip! :p

Hi Harold! Thanks for taking the time to read and post all the nice comments. Have a blast when you board the Splendor tomorrow! :D Watch out for the cornbread. Hahaha

I did in fact resurrect your first review, and I noticed there was nothing about the cornbread! :eek: Your reviews really have come a long way! :D My homestay in china didn't speak any English either. I didn't know much Chinese but I learned fast! I too would like to visit Barcelona one day, it's always bee on my bucket list. Actually, I would like to live in a Spanish-speaking country someday, and Barcelona is the first place on my list. I will have to read your Med review, I remember I read only the pre-cruise in Rome section, but I love reading your reviews, even if I have no intention of doing that cruise.

Have you ever done one of the 7 nights from LA to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta? My friend just got back from the Miracle last Saturday, and his pictures and beyond belief. Looks amazing down there!

Thanks for the great review and photos. I too was on that trip as a solo. One of my favorite cruises. Great ship. Amazing staff and food. I loved the itinerary, with all 5 ports being new ones for me. Great memories.

I did in fact resurrect your first review, and I noticed there was nothing about the cornbread! :eek: Your reviews really have come a long way! :D My homestay in china didn't speak any English either. I didn't know much Chinese but I learned fast! I too would like to visit Barcelona one day, it's always bee on my bucket list. Actually, I would like to live in a Spanish-speaking country someday, and Barcelona is the first place on my list. I will have to read your Med review, I remember I read only the pre-cruise in Rome section, but I love reading your reviews, even if I have no intention of doing that cruise.

Have you ever done one of the 7 nights from LA to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta? My friend just got back from the Miracle last Saturday, and his pictures and beyond belief. Looks amazing down there!

In Barcelona, they speak Spanish and Catalan so you might end up learning 2 new languages if you're ever able to live there. I'm researching Costa Rica and thinking of moving there next year for maybe a year or two. The good thing is that I can still keep my current job and maybe I can teach English there as well. I'll probably make a visit in August or September, and I think I might cancel my Splendor cruise in January and go again for a couple of weeks next winter. If everything works in my favor, maybe I can make the move around this time next year, just in time for the rainy season. :rolleyes:

No I haven't done the 7 day Mexico cruise from LA yet, but it's on my radar.

Thanks for the great review and photos. I too was on that trip as a solo. One of my favorite cruises. Great ship. Amazing staff and food. I loved the itinerary, with all 5 ports being new ones for me. Great memories.

Hi Jay! Thanks for stopping by. It was indeed a great cruise with some awesome ports and perfect weather at each of them. Did we meet or cross paths at any point during the cruise? Were you in the fb group?

In Barcelona, they speak Spanish and Catalan so you might end up learning 2 new languages if you're ever able to live there. I'm researching Costa Rica and thinking of moving there next year for maybe a year or two. The good thing is that I can still keep my current job and maybe I can teach English there as well. I'll probably make a visit in August or September, and I think I might cancel my Splendor cruise in January and go again for a couple of weeks next winter. If everything works in my favor, maybe I can make the move around this time next year, just in time for the rainy season. :rolleyes:

No I haven't done the 7 day Mexico cruise from LA yet, but it's on my radar.

Hi Jay! Thanks for stopping by. It was indeed a great cruise with some awesome ports and perfect weather at each of them. Did we meet or cross paths at any point during the cruise? Were you in the fb group?

That sounds amazing, you are so lucky! And it must be nice working for the *unnamed* airline, as you can have a job anywhere in the world. A girl I went to school with's parent's worked for Delta scanning boarding passes in ATL to start, met, got married, moved to Seattle, worked in SEA, then in LHR for a select summer, then PHX, and then to BWI when they had kids. They then retired, but now her parents get free flights to wherever, and their family vacation photos are amazing! They have gone everywhere. Must be fun working for an airline!

That sounds amazing, you are so lucky! And it must be nice working for the *unnamed* airline, as you can have a job anywhere in the world. A girl I went to school with's parent's worked for Delta scanning boarding passes in ATL to start, met, got married, moved to Seattle, worked in SEA, then in LHR for a select summer, then PHX, and then to BWI when they had kids. They then retired, but now her parents get free flights to wherever, and their family vacation photos are amazing! They have gone everywhere. Must be fun working for an airline!

Yes, I love working in the airline industry. There's honestly nothing else I can see myself doing. I've traveled around the world for little to no money. Yes, my airline will continue to stay unnamed (it's somewhere between Air Tahiti and Yemen Airways haha), but (read between the lines here) there's a VERY HIGH PROBABILITY that it's not the one you think. As I've previously said, you can't really make any assumptions simply based on where I live, as most crew members (probably about 60-70%) do not live in the same city as their base, and I'm one of those people. So since I already have to catch a flight to get to work, why not catch a flight from Costa Rica? Belize is also a contender. I know of flight attendant commuters from Mexico, Puerto Rico, even Dubai. It's definitely doable.

Ok no more airline talk. :)

Yes, I love working in the airline industry. There's honestly nothing else I can see myself doing. I've traveled around the world for little to no money. Yes, my airline will continue to stay unnamed (it's somewhere between Air Tahiti and Yemen Airways haha), but (read between the lines here) there's a VERY HIGH PROBABILITY that it's not the one you think. As I've previously said, you can't really make any assumptions simply based on where I live, as most crew members (probably about 60-70%) do not live in the same city as their base, and I'm one of those people. So since I already have to catch a flight to get to work, why not catch a flight from Costa Rica? Belize is also a contender. I know of flight attendant commuters from Mexico, Puerto Rico, even Dubai. It's definitely doable.

Ok no more airline talk. :)

Oh yes, after you explained that to me while back, a new neighbor moved in across the street. I started talking to him, and he works for British Airways in BWI, and he's from Memphis. Now we all know Baltimore-Washington is not a British Airways hub lol. But you're right. It probably gives locals a place to work. I love the feeling of airports in other countries. Especially Beijing, it's so beautiful inside! But you're right, this is CRUISE critic, so let's stay off of aviation (do they even have an airline critic forum somewhere :confused:)

What are in those beloved Mocha Chocolate Getaways? I've always meant to ask :D

• 1 month later...
He also pointed out the wall, where there's a drop off of 6,000 feet and has some great diving.

On our last cruise, we did a snorkeling excursion that took us to The Wall and, I must say, it was pretty impressive!! I've never seen anything like it in my life. I'm already looking forward to going back to GT again sometime in the future.

On our last cruise, we did a snorkeling excursion that took us to The Wall and, I must say, it was pretty impressive!! I've never seen anything like it in my life. I'm already looking forward to going back to GT again sometime in the future.

I'll be back at Grand Turk next year and will have to go snorkeling there. Better yet, hopefully I'll be a PADI diver by then and will be able to dive there!

Love your reviews !! So glad I happened upon another especially since I just booked the Splendor today!

Thank you! Congrats on booking the Splendor! :D

• 2 weeks later...
OMG I am definitely in need of a cruise!!! It took me till the middle of page 5, the Halloween run pics when I realized I wasn't reading the newest review:eek:. OK, guess I'll go read the right one now.

LOL I thought you read this one already? :p You have a shout out at #409 in the Magic review. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Kim; I loved the review!

I was supposed to read it on my lunch break 2 weeks ago, but that never happened and I'm glad it didn't because I wouldn't have gotten any work done.

Grenada and Martinique are two ports for me that I've planned nothing in and you've given me some ideas. As much as I want to do the catamaran to see the underwater sculpture park, I'm not sure I want to book a 3rd one for my upcoming cruise.

Anyhow, I wanted to say that your outfits, shoes, and hair were gorgeous! I remember when you posted the Vera Wang dress in the group; I just don't have the patience to dig in Ross. If it's not where it's supposed to be; forget it. All of the Ross' I've gone to are disorganized and the better one is 45 minutes to an hour away...and I'm not doing that. Houston traffic is horrendous.

You're a brave soul; I'm not exactly sure I could do that excursion in Dominica, but I need my head examined anyhow because I'm skydiving on the 25th of this month! :eek:

I'm going from memory, so I hope I've remembered everything.... you mean to tell me some fast a$$ twerked with no underwear on? How does one forget they're not wearing panties? Gross!!!!!

I remember your other post about cornbread....this one looks worse. It looked like it was wet, but maybe the fact it was vegetarian is the reason it looked that way.

Your videos from your Dominica excursion didn't load; the page said you either renamed the files or removed them.

I hope to sail with you in the future. I learned you were in my backyard this past June??? when I saw your post about being first or trying to be first in the RFP.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something because you covered a lot. I laughed and giggled and was in agreement with your critique of your tour guide in Dominica. Though I'm being chicken, I just might book it just to see him. LOL

I need to get back to my land vacations; it's just been cruises, comedy shows, and concerts for me....though I will travel for concerts; that's not foreign to me.

Maybe I won't be a CC stranger for much longer. I'm just trying to get back into coming here. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey girl, what's up? Looks like I'm going to be subscribing to your latest review. Over the summer I was scanning through the CC Forums hoping to find a review from you, but nothing. Oh well, I'm glad I find this one, and I'm excited to get started. Our cruise isn't until next October, so it's great to read a review from you and Jamman to keep me busy until we cruise.

Can't wait to get started, and I also can't wait to see your outfits and shoes...

I'm hoping that on one cruise, we can actually get a chance to run into each other and meet.

ch27088 (Carol)

• 2 months later...

Kim, another awesome review. Yikes, I've read about 1/2 and I'm getting nervous. Love your clothing as always and I especially like your CONFIDENCE!! On to the next,

Mary

PS: Yeah, I'm getting pretty much no work done but it's super slow this time of year. That's how I'm rationalizing anyway. :p

Kim, another awesome review. Yikes, I've read about 1/2 and I'm getting nervous. Love your clothing as always and I especially like your CONFIDENCE!! On to the next,

Mary

PS: Yeah, I'm getting pretty much no work done but it's super slow this time of year. That's how I'm rationalizing anyway. :p

LOL Mary it looks like you're getting through them all! They have gotten progressively better over the years, so as you get to the older ones, I'll say those aren't my favorites. I'm glad you're enjoying them though and happy to hear I'm providing you with so much entertainment. :D

WHOOPS! I guess better late than never to respond to these comments I seemed to have missed months ago. :o

Hey Kim; I loved the review!

I was supposed to read it on my lunch break 2 weeks ago' date=' but that never happened and I'm glad it didn't because I wouldn't have gotten any work done.

Grenada and Martinique are two ports for me that I've planned nothing in and you've given me some ideas. As much as I want to do the catamaran to see the underwater sculpture park, I'm not sure I want to book a 3rd one for my upcoming cruise.

Anyhow, I wanted to say that your outfits, shoes, and hair were gorgeous! I remember when you posted the Vera Wang dress in the group; I just don't have the patience to dig in Ross. If it's not where it's supposed to be; forget it. All of the Ross' I've gone to are disorganized and the better one is 45 minutes to an hour away...and I'm not doing that. Houston traffic is horrendous.

You're a brave soul; I'm not exactly sure I could do that excursion in Dominica, but I need my head examined anyhow because I'm skydiving on the 25th of this month! :eek:

I'm going from memory, so I hope I've remembered everything.... you mean to tell me some fast a$$ twerked with no underwear on? How does one forget they're not wearing panties? Gross!!!!!

I remember your other post about cornbread....this one looks worse. It looked like it was wet, but maybe the fact it was vegetarian is the reason it looked that way.

Your videos from your Dominica excursion didn't load; the page said you either renamed the files or removed them.

I hope to sail with you in the future. I learned you were in my backyard this past June??? when I saw your post about being first or trying to be first in the RFP.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something because you covered a lot. I laughed and giggled and was in agreement with your critique of your tour guide in Dominica. Though I'm being chicken, I just might book it just to see him. LOL

I need to get back to my land vacations; it's just been cruises, comedy shows, and concerts for me....though I will travel for concerts; that's not foreign to me.

Maybe I won't be a CC stranger for much longer. I'm just trying to get back into coming here. Thanks for sharing your trip with us![/quote']

It was a shame that you weren't able to come on this cruise with us. We all had a blast. I'm not sure why some of the videos didn't load. They worked fine at one point. I guess it's a photobucket issue. I won't upload any more videos there from now on and will stick to YouTube. Some people from the group went on the Liberty together last month as a reunion cruise. Maybe one day we'll end up on a ship together. How did the sky diving go? Do you have any cruises planned for any time soon? I did make it to the RFP first on the Magic. That turned me into a minor celebrity on JH's page as everyone recognized me. Lol :o Hope to see you back here posting some more soon.

Hey girl, what's up? Looks like I'm going to be subscribing to your latest review. Over the summer I was scanning through the CC Forums hoping to find a review from you, but nothing. Oh well, I'm glad I find this one, and I'm excited to get started. Our cruise isn't until next October, so it's great to read a review from you and Jamman to keep me busy until we cruise.

Can't wait to get started, and I also can't wait to see your outfits and shoes...

I'm hoping that on one cruise, we can actually get a chance to run into each other and meet.

ch27088 (Carol)

Hi Carol! Oh gosh did you miss my Magic review? That circulated a good bit this summer. That was a June cruise. I posted another one over on the RC board from my Asia cruise. Hopefully you enjoyed this one. Maybe we will get to meet on a cruise some day. :)

• 1 year later...
I just finished the review by Jamman54 of his solo Splendor cruise and starting on yours now! To my dismay none of your photos are showing up :confused::( Nevertheless I will still be reading the review.

I just saw this review by gapearl had popped up again too and was browsing through again. I remember reading when she first posted and loved this itinerary AND the pictures she posted, so I was also disappointed that the pictures are no longer showing up.

The pictures not showing up is because Photobucket, which was the main host site for pictures that many of us had used when doing CC reviews, decided to change their terms of use, mainly affecting their 3rd party image hosting. Unless members pay for the premium package, the highest they offer, which is about $400 a year, they will not be eligible for the 3rd party image hosting. I copied and pasted (below) from Photobucket's updated terms of use:

"Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting."

Sadly, many of the pictures in past reviews will eventually disappear, unless the "ransom" is paid. I've done a few reviews which have not had the pictures removed, yet, and there are others that still have the pictures showing, but Photobucket isn't able to do this all at once, they are "going down the line", so to speak. Those affected have received emails from Photobucket to notify them that they are no longer eligible for 3rd party image hosting. I know that I will not be paying that amount when they get to me.

But yes, even without the pictures, this review (and all of gapearl's other reviews) are great reads and well worth the time.

I just saw this review by gapearl had popped up again too and was browsing through again. I remember reading when she first posted and loved this itinerary AND the pictures she posted, so I was also disappointed that the pictures are no longer showing up.

The pictures not showing up is because Photobucket, which was the main host site for pictures that many of us had used when doing CC reviews, decided to change their terms of use, mainly affecting their 3rd party image hosting. Unless members pay for the premium package, the highest they offer, which is about $400 a year, they will not be eligible for the 3rd party image hosting. I copied and pasted (below) from Photobucket's updated terms of use:

"Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting."

Sadly, many of the pictures in past reviews will eventually disappear, unless the "ransom" is paid. I've done a few reviews which have not had the pictures removed, yet, and there are others that still have the pictures showing, but Photobucket isn't able to do this all at once, they are "going down the line", so to speak. Those affected have received emails from Photobucket to notify them that they are no longer eligible for 3rd party image hosting. I know that I will not be paying that amount when they get to me.

But yes, even without the pictures, this review (and all of gapearl's other reviews) are great reads and well worth the time.

Thanks for the info. I completely understand why people are not staying with Photobucket!