Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

My daughter-in-law's flight from PHL to Houston has been cancelled. for Sat on American Air. She wanted to see her sister who lives in Corpus Christie. Her sister says there is no gas. As of this afternoon there was limited Super Plus and lines were blocking traffic. Some school busses did not get children home until after 7 pm.

This story is not over yet, The worst may yet be to come.

Worst is yet to come? Of course flights are cancelled and there are long lines for gas and traffic is aweful but why would you thing worse things are coming based on this info?

My daughter-in-law's flight from PHL to Houston has been cancelled. for Sat on American Air. She wanted to see her sister who lives in Corpus Christie. Her sister says there is no gas. As of this afternoon there was limited Super Plus and lines were blocking traffic. Some school busses did not get children home until after 7 pm. This story is not over yet, The worst may yet be to come.

The horror:

• "No" gas
  • Super Plus
  • Waiting For kids
  • Flight cancelled
  • Blocked traffic

A storm traveled 3100 miles then dumped an annual amount of rain in four days on Texas. That's enough rain to cover Alaska, Texas and California with an inch of water. Harvey dumped more rain on us than any other storm in history. We have 17,000 people in shelters, some whom have never had flood water.

Costs for Harvey should surpass any other storm in history, estimates are 80% of those effected don't have flood insurance. By comparison, half those hit by Katrina had insurance according to CNBC.

Take a look at the videos here: https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/hurricane-harvey-stunning-statistics/fyngjoyze6l4wbge2sukl1dfjydawya3

Please tell me what could be worse, and what is yet to come. When your DIL gets to Corpus Christi have her send a couple of videos or images back. You will be amazed. If she gets stranded in Houston we are still in need of volunteers. It will change your perspective. I'm up early because my shift starts at 7.

SMH... alot.

Edited by BallFour4

Please tell me what could be worse
Without taking anything away from the misery that those in Texas suffer, I find it troubling to compare storms in terms of dollars of property damage. I feel casualties is the most critical comparison, and so critical that it overwhelms all other considerations. So far, we know of 44 fatal casualties from Harvey, which is horrible, but let's not forget that Katrina was "worse": Estimates for Katrina were estimated between 1,245-1,836. So unfortunately it can be worse, and we need to look at Harvey both for lessons about things were done better than was done with regard to Katrina, so we don't let those improvements slip away, as well as how to do things better than is being done with Harvey.

[quote name='BallFour4;

Please tell me what could be worse' date=' and what is yet to come[/b'].

Here's what I think he might be getting at. The extent of the loss of life and damage, though already done, will be revealed (and I think drive home even more of what a whopper of a storm this was). I think that they're also saying the extent of infrastructure damage may cause many additional problems, be it drinking water, sewer, chemical plants exploding, power, etc. to be able to start the recovery and begin to make things "normal". It's not worse, per se, but I think the aftermath will be just as severe as the storm was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My money went to the Houston Food Bank. Once things calm down and assessments are made, I'll make a donation to the Houston Habitat for Humanity chapter. I've also made an indirect donation to the Greater Houston Community Foundation through a third party.

As a New Yorker who lived through Sandy and Floyd, I certainly have empathy for those affected by Harvey. I donated to JJ Watt's You Caring effort. I couldn't let my resentment about 23 out of 24 Texas reps & senators voting against aid for my area post Sandy. Or the Texans who told me on Nov 13, 2015 (my 65th BDay) in the Carnival Magic Steakhouse that New York should be the next target of ISIS terrorism after the Paris bombing.

We are all Americans, and when one needs help, there should be a hand outstretched by another American. United. One country, one people.

Evandbob, what was said to you was unbelievably rude. Were you able to refrain from backhanding them? There is just no excuse for that. Those kind of people give us a bad name. You're absolutely right - we are all Americans & human beings.

hold a grudge much? edvandrob

edvandrob does have a point. I also find it somewhat hypocritical that some of these same legislators are going to be asking the federal government for aid for their state after voting against it after Sandy.

hold a grudge much? edvandrob

If I held a grudge much, I don't think I would have sent $100 to Harvey Relief via JJ Watt's appeal.

Sure I have feelings about how we were treated, but I can't let that get in the way of offering a small bit of help. I try to do the right thing even in spite of how we were treated.

And yes, I held back from saying anything in the Steakhouse because I knew it would get out of control. We walked out with our dessert in hand.

There's always been a question as to whether or not certain people are supporting the perspective they claim to support versus just voting whichever way happens to be to their own personal benefit at the time. I guess we're going to get a little bit more insight into that over the next week or two. I do think, regardless of that, that we do have an obligation to take care of each other and to extend a helping hand to those who have suffer greatly from the hurricane. I hope we as a nation do the right thing and make a commitment to compassion.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

As a New Yorker who lived through Sandy and Floyd, I certainly have empathy for those affected by Harvey. I donated to JJ Watt's You Caring effort. I couldn't let my resentment about 23 out of 24 Texas reps & senators voting against aid for my area post Sandy. Or the Texans who told me on Nov 13, 2015 (my 65th BDay) in the Carnival Magic Steakhouse that New York should be the next target of ISIS terrorism after the Paris bombing.

We are all Americans, and when one needs help, there should be a hand outstretched by another American. United. One country, one people.

We're a friendly bunch here in Texas, don't let one spoil your opinions, clearly you haven't. When you cruise from Galveston again call me, we will come take you to dinner.

Come see us in Texas, leave your salsa, bring us a left handed pitcher.

.b677db8406ed01b624835dfdd1e83b22.jpg

Quick update from Galveston contact - they are exhausted but said disembarkation went pretty well given they had about 2/3 their usual staff and multiple ships coming in and passengers were in surprisingly good spirits. Waits for cabs were long and supplies were limited and there was some grumbling about Uber (surge pricing? Anyone know?). They figured ships were about 1/2 empty which helped, the big test will be 9/5 when there is expected to be a full ship loading.

There's always been a question as to whether or not certain people are supporting the perspective they claim to support versus just voting whichever way happens to be to their own personal benefit at the time. I guess we're going to get a little bit more insight into that over the next week or two. I do think, regardless of that, that we do have an obligation to take care of each other and to extend a helping hand to those who have suffer greatly from the hurricane. I hope we as a nation do the right thing and make a commitment to compassion.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Of course we need to extend a helping hand. It's too bad that so many didn't want to do that for Sandy victims as well.

Quick update from Galveston contact - they are exhausted but said disembarkation went pretty well given they had about 2/3 their usual staff and multiple ships coming in and passengers were in surprisingly good spirits. Waits for cabs were long and supplies were limited and there was some grumbling about Uber (surge pricing? Anyone know?). They figured ships were about 1/2 empty which helped, the big test will be 9/5 when there is expected to be a full ship loading.

Surge pricing wouldn't surprise me. With the reported long lines for gasoline, no one is going to want to drive and then find themselves without gas an having to wait a couple hours to fill up. Defeats the purpose of making a few bucks driving.

Compassion is one thing, but the more than $100 billion some Texan lawmakers are hinting at is way beyond compassion. Give all affected areas in all States a total of $56B and let them figure it out. They can look to their lawmakers and how they've voted on past disaster aid packages for further guidance.

Surge pricing wouldn't surprise me. With the reported long lines for gasoline, no one is going to want to drive and then find themselves without gas an having to wait a couple hours to fill up. Defeats the purpose of making a few bucks driving.

Gas is hard to find right now, plus gas prices jumped from below $2.00 a gallon pre Harvey to places that do have gas it is $2.53 a gallon. Texas has more than 25 percent of the USA's refineries.

Compassion is one thing, but the more than $100 billion some Texan lawmakers are hinting at is way beyond compassion. Give all affected areas in all States a total of $56B and let them figure it out. They can look to their lawmakers and how they've voted on past disaster aid packages for further guidance.

These are many of the same Texas lawmakers that let Sandy victims languish for 2 months before offering help. They wanted budget cuts to match the amount of the assistance, made outright false claims that Sandy aid was 2/3 pork, offered to shut down the federal government if their demands weren't met, etc.

Now some of these hypocrites want immediate help for their flood prone area, even for some neighborhoods like Meyerland that have flooded for the last 3 years and rebuilt with federal dollars twice. Unlike Andrew victims, they have resisted or had repealed building codes to make houses safer and better able to withstand both hurricanes and floods.

We should have a national policy or a set of guidelines on disaster aid, rather than one forged by whoever has the power at the time. I realize that all storms/tornadoes/earthquakes have different effects, but let's not make one suffer while assisting others. Let's help all the people, not the politicians.

We're a friendly bunch here in Texas, don't let one spoil your opinions, clearly you haven't. When you cruise from Galveston again call me, we will come take you to dinner.

Come see us in Texas, leave your salsa, bring us a left handed pitcher.

.b677db8406ed01b624835dfdd1e83b22.jpg

Thanks for the offer, BallFour. The next time we're in your Texas neighborhood, we may give you a call!

These are many of the same Texas lawmakers that let Sandy victims languish for 2 months before offering help. They wanted budget cuts to match the amount of the assistance, made outright false claims that Sandy aid was 2/3 pork, offered to shut down the federal government if their demands weren't met, etc.

Now some of these hypocrites want immediate help for their flood prone area, even for some neighborhoods like Meyerland that have flooded for the last 3 years and rebuilt with federal dollars twice. Unlike Andrew victims, they have resisted or had repealed building codes to make houses safer and better able to withstand both hurricanes and floods.

We should have a national policy or a set of guidelines on disaster aid, rather than one forged by whoever has the power at the time. I realize that all storms/tornadoes/earthquakes have different effects, but let's not make one suffer while assisting others. Let's help all the people, not the politicians.

Living in northern NJ when Sandy hit, I remember that political bickering very well (and yes, I'm very bitter about it). I also remember that FEMA and the state of NJ made many homeowners who wanted to rebuild do it to much stricter flood zone standards - raise the homes, etc. I certainly hope they will take the same common sense precautions in TX and rather than willy nilly rebuilding, do it to minimize the impacts should another storm of near this magnitude hit them again...