First MSC Cruise - MSC Seaside 12-30-2017 Sailing_Review with Pictures

Tall-Cruiser

The problem is not the elevator going to 18 but the override erases everyone else. Maybe the YC person gets the express treatment, but don't erase everyone else's choice. I think that's fair?

Trust me I'm staying in a YC next time but, not because of the elevator :)

I'm totally with you on this. The only time we tried to use the "Express" service on the elevators when in YC was when we were alone. It smacks of elitism and sheer hubris on the part of those that think it's OK to override other people's stops and I, for one, could never do it.

Appreciate your very lovely comments, bytheway.

Edited by Beamafar

Absolutely loving your review. Thank you so much! Blue Hole in Jamaica is one of our favorite places (so much so we have done it twice). Simply gorgeous! We used Courtney Taylor as well. He's a gem of a guy. Was it by chance Scotchie's where you went fro lunch? That is typically where Courtney takes folks. Their food is to die for.

Cruzeluver - Yoiu asked about the Jerk Chicken place Courtney took us to. It was Ocho Rios Jerk Center.

7bb256d0550cdf79ea54993c93ee5824.jpg

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Yes a better comparison would be Freedom Class.

Go ahead and try Seaside with an open mind. You are lucky that there are lots of reviews coming out which will help you to decide cabin and category.

Oh, we've been booked since March 2017. In YC. Will to avoid using "express" service unless alone [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Greatly enjoyed your review. I so wish I could have managed to be able to book the YC or a suite, they however are just too far out of my price range. Just so sad reading how they really seem to have created quite the class system, but hopefully those of us who paid less will still have a great cruise experience. Truly I didn't mind our 2 cruises on the Divina, while my sister and husband hated it - said they will never sail MSC again. My husband loves the food as he loves any and all pasta, me not quite as crazy about it but I have never gone on any cruise and been hungry. Looking forward to our trip in May and getting more information and reviews about the ship.

Thanks so much for all the time you spent on this review ! The information and pictures are invaluable !

I am concerned about the nasty smell . When we cruised the Divina last year , they had plumbing issues from the aft pool that saturated the Black and White Lounge carpet and the carpets just outside that near the bank of elevators . Although they claimed it was only water , the smell was atrocious ! And the stench lasted for 4 days and wafted clear up to our deck on 13 ! Do you think the situation on the Seaside is something they can address ?

Again , thank you for your help and your willingness to answer our questions . I love Cruise Critic and the good folks like you !

-thegraminator - Thanks much for your comments and following my review.

Smell on Seaide - I think they will/are addressing it. Most times the average cruiser would only be discussing smell issues with their cabin steward or amongst themselves. For Seaide, the top officers are aware and trying to do something. Think about the chances of going to a CC Meet and Mingle and discussing how to source toilet paper. We actual appreciated hearing this. Plus I'm one to follow ship construction stuff, so what he had to say was interesting to me. Many cruise ships have their engines, smoke stack and core stuff in the aft area. This goes for many of the MSC ships built at STX France. Seaside was built in Italy based on a new concept with its engine and other core stuff in the center of the ship. So piping, angle of flow and some other technical things he mentioned changed. This the officer explained was part of the problem. Not sure if it has gotten better since our cruise but, they know and are working on it.

Indeed, Cruise Critic is a great resource. I have learned so much from here. Where else can you find out first when a cruise opens for sale :)

I'm totally with you on this. The only time we tried to use the "Express" service on the elevators when in YC was when we were alone. It smacks of elitism and sheer hubris on the part of those that think it's OK to override other people's stops and I, for one, could never do it.

Appreciate your very lovely comments, bytheway.

And I'm with you too on your thinking. For me that feels right and comfortable on how I go about things.

joand452 - Thanks for your comments

Like you we are Diamond with RCI. As a Diamond on RCI, MSC will give you a status match of their highest level, Black Card. To get the status match, log into your RCI C&A account and print the page with your C&A status and details. Send this information to MSC. The process goes faster to get a status match if you are also booking a cruise and talking to one of the MSC agents directly. That's how we did it.

They have a lot of good benefits including 5% discount on cruises. See link below for more details.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

Good luck.

MSC matches your loyalty status - cal customer service and tell them you're interested in booking a cruise and matching your loyalty status with RCI.

OR go to their website https://www.msccruisesusa.com and click on "Voyagers Club" and then "Status Match Program." There you will find all necessary information and can click on links to apply for a match.

As to the benefits, you'll likely be matched to MSC Black.

These are the privileges:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Assets/16740_43_Griglia_benefit_USA_1.pdf

Hope it helps.

Thank you both for your responses.

Thank you Tall-Cruiser for an amazing and informative and honest review!!! The pictures are awesome as well. We will be sailing on the Seaside next month! Sounds like you really enjoyed your cruise!! :)

Grannyofsix - Thanks very much. Armed with the Intel from all the reviews thus far, you will enjoy your cruise next month. As another poster here said, don't let the small stuff bother you. It's vacation and we can all make it fun with our mix of taste and preferences.

And yes, we enjoyed our cruise :)

Greatly enjoyed your review. I so wish I could have managed to be able to book the YC or a suite, they however are just too far out of my price range. Just so sad reading how they really seem to have created quite the class system, but hopefully those of us who paid less will still have a great cruise experience. Truly I didn't mind our 2 cruises on the Divina, while my sister and husband hated it - said they will never sail MSC again. My husband loves the food as he loves any and all pasta, me not quite as crazy about it but I have never gone on any cruise and been hungry. Looking forward to our trip in May and getting more information and reviews about the ship.

Mom2tcdx2 - Thank you for you note.

Maybe you can manage to book a YC or Suite:). It depends on your taste and most importantly preference. There are some people that say, given price differences at the time of booking, they would forgo a balcony cabin and take an Inside YC so that they would get and enjoy the YC perks. And that's great. For me, I want a balcony if I can afford it. And if I can't, I will defer the cruise until later when I can.

Food again is very subjective. During our cruise, I don't think I had any pasta dish especially on an Italian cruise line. Still, I enjoyed all the other food and the best Sea Food on a cruise.

Have fun on your trip in May. Make it a great cruise :)

Great job, TC, and I especially enjoyed that you interviewed all the cruisers in your party and gave their individual feedback!

So, can the YC cruiser get in that elevator, hit 18, but not put in their key card, thereby still having 18 included as one of the floors, but thereby keeping in all the rest of the floors already requested?

Great job, TC, and I especially enjoyed that you interviewed all the cruisers in your party and gave their individual feedback!

So, can the YC cruiser get in that elevator, hit 18, but not put in their key card, thereby still having 18 included as one of the floors, but thereby keeping in all the rest of the floors already requested?

May B - Thanks very much.

I think the YC cruiser can just get in the elevator and press 18. My guest is there must be another entry way that YC guest have to go through by using their key card to get the cabins. It's the same elevator that takes you to the Specialty Restaurants on deck 16 and that deck also has YC cabins.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

Hi TC,

Thank you so much for posting such a thorough review.

I have been following this thread and enjoy it tremendously.

Glad to know you had a wonderful cruise.

I'll be on the Seaview in July and that will be my first MSC cruise.

I have 2 questions about your cruise:

Is the breakfast from the room service free?

I read someone mentioned about being late for dinner and was not allowed in the MDR. Is this the normal practice for MSC or Seaside.

When I was on other cruise lines, I have no problem entering the MDR if I am 10 minutes late.

Thank you in advance.

Hi TC,

Thank you so much for posting such a thorough review.

I have been following this thread and enjoy it tremendously.

Glad to know you had a wonderful cruise.

I'll be on the Seaview in July and that will be my first MSC cruise.

I have 2 questions about your cruise:

Is the breakfast from the room service free?

I read someone mentioned about being late for dinner and was not allowed in the MDR. Is this the normal practice for MSC or Seaside.

When I was on other cruise lines, I have no problem entering the MDR if I am 10 minutes late.

Thank you in advance.

-ace123 - Thanks very much and for following.

Room service - Yes breakfast room service was free. Note though that breakfast they bring is only continental breakfast. No hot food.

Dinning room late dinner arrival - What you heard is true and it happened to people in our party. It was the first night and two of the folks in our group thought the late seating was 8PM. I know they didn't look at their key card. We sat at our table at 7:45 PM and when they didn't show we called their cabin but no answer. Come to find out they were outside the dinning room trying to get in. Finally, one of them said, I have to get in to find my daughter and I'm not leaving. Only because of that did they let them in. The three dinner seating arrangement may also be a contributing factor why they don't let people in late. I have been on many cruises and people have always come in late without issue.

Hi TC, thank you for your wonderful review! I have a question about the seating situation in the MDR. Do you know how many people can sit together on the dining tables? We have a group of 14 people and not sure if all of us can sit together or they will have to split our group into several tables!

Hi TC, thank you for your wonderful review! I have a question about the seating situation in the MDR. Do you know how many people can sit together on the dining tables? We have a group of 14 people and not sure if all of us can sit together or they will have to split our group into several tables!

- derumedice - Thanks very much and for following my review.

For dining room seating a table for 14 is not a problem. There were two tables next to us in the Ipanema Restaurant and both had between 12 to 16 people I️ think. Just make sure you call MSC and have them put it in the record and cross reference the bookings.

One thing to note, those that have Aurea have any time dining and those with Fantastica have an assigned time, early or late seating. This was the case for us. So for all of us to sit together, the MSC Agent I️ called reserved a table for six under one of the guest in our group that was Fantastica. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Booked tonight for April 2019. Im sure we will have a blast. :)

We have loved both our cruises on Divina.

I also really enjoy all the different nationalites. European food, long leisurely dinners, a beautiful ship on the ocean with a balcony and a steward who cleans the bathroom and makes the bed and new cocktails to try.

What's not to like?

Lifes too short to sweat the small stuff.

And Matt concur's with Vicky.:D

Cozumel, Mexico

Its Wednesday and we are in Cozumel. We had no doubt that we had arrived, as yet again those Bow Thrusters let us know. If you are in one of the forward most cabins you may feel it unless, you are a sound sleeper.:)

After getting off the pier and into Punta Langosta Terminal, we were directed to where to catch a taxi. You went up the escalators, across the street via a bridge walkway and came down at the far end of the terminal. The taxi line was not very organized and required that you get a little aggressive a get a taxi. We eventually found one for a cost of $6 per person.

For all the times we visited Cozumel, we either booked a tour through the cruise line or walked around on our own. We would then stop at Pancho's Backyard (two locations, one in downtown and second at the Carnival Cruise Lines Pier) for a late lunch followed by some shopping. This time with research right here from CC we decided on Mr. Sancho's.

Several weeks before I emailed and called Mr. Sancho's. They gave me the run down about the property and what expect. We opted for the All-Inclusive package at $55 per person. They required a $5 per person deposit which we did online and later received and email confirmation from them. Our taxi then took us to Mr. Sancho's that morning. Upon arriving we got checked-in and were each given a wrist band.

A small buffet was setup right outside a covered area. Down the beach area and mostly to the right was the area for all-inclusive guest. We went down and found a covered table big enough for our group. I pulled up a few loungers for those that wanted shade. There was a fare amount of people there already. Our cabin neighbors, a very nice could from Brazil (P and T, initials) were also there to have a good time. As to the beach loungers, first there get the good spots right in front of the water. The beach was clean, water clear and not much seaweed compared to other locations in Cozumel.

Later a waiter came by with a menu to take our order. Even though it was all-inclusive not all items were available via the buffet. So you could order as much as you wanted off the menu. For us the food was good and there was plenty. The only complaint some had, was that the alcohol was not strong enough or drinks were weak. This only happened with the ones delivered by the wait staff. If you ordered directly from the bar it was ok. Later in the day it got a little windy if you sat right in front. So some of us moved back for a warmer spot. We had a great time there and was very relaxing. We left a little early so that those whop wanted to shop downtown would have time to do so.

Glad you are enjoying Mr Sanchos. We did para sailing there.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the review, I just read it all and enjoyed it! The ship is so beautiful and I appreciate the food photos. We are sailing on the Meraviglia soon so not on the Seaside, but it's all still good to see :)

I'm guessing that the 3 dinner seating is because of European guests and their late dining preference. On our cruise we have been told the early sitting will be around 7pm and the late one 9.30pm. So with 3 sittings they are trying to accommodate both American and European dining preferences. As we are from the UK, the 7pm 'early' sitting is just right for us!

Oh and one last thing, how adorable were those little chocolate ships?! I would definitely never eat those.

It allows them to utilize less space for the dining room. Theoretically it can be 33% smaller than a DR with two seatings

Great review TC. Felt like we were right along with you.

Pretty booked for this year, and I hate driving to Miami, but may look into MSC if I find a nice deal. YC seems the way to go.

John - Thanks very much and checking the review. Being that your daily view at home is Cruise Ships It makes sense you are fully booked :). Hard to resist seeing those beautiful ships sail by. Keep checking MSC, you never know when a good deal will come. And yes, YC will be a good way to go. That's what I'm doing next time.

Thank again for all the photo upload tricks.

Thanks for taking the time to post your very informative review. In one post you mention using an app to make a show reservation. Did you have a wifi package or is the app available without a wifi package?

-indyonerose - Thank very much for following the review.

I had already downloaded the MSC for Me App. Then before our cruise, I purchased the Wifi package. I have heard some say the App is available without the package while on the ship. Not sure how that works. The Wifi goes off a lot. I found myself many times refreshing and logging back in. BTW the Wifi package is good for 4 devices and can be in different cabins.