Smokers

Kgol

I am annoyed by it being a huge issue. I try to be understanding of most people. Does that make sense?

When my wife needs to take her asthma treatments because of cigarette smoke then it is a huge issue. Fortunately this hasn't happened when we're on our balcony but I'm not willing to take any chances.

Report it to room steward

If it continues

Report it to guest services and tell them you already reported it to room steward

Then if it still doesn't work

Report it to the head of housekeeping and tell them you already reported this to room steward and guest services

If it still happens

Remove your service charges...period ...and don't worry about the workers

You could also take this approach...

If you smell smoke...call immediately and say you smell smoke.....say you hope it's not a cabin fire...tell them the cabin number .....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Report it to room steward

Report it to guest service

Report it to the head of housekeeping

If it still happens Remove your service charges...period ...and don't worry about the workers

Sorry, strongly disagree. The cabin stewards of all people are not the people to be dealing with this - security should be.

Placing the responsibility on housekeeping is just ridiculous. If he/she confronts the offender they too will likely remove their gratuities in retaliation (and perhaps friends of theirs in adjacent staterooms), and when your hissy fit causes you to remove yours as well, they're out a LOT of money for something that shouldn't have been their responsibility to deal with to begin with.

Call security and let THEM deal with it front the onset and leave your poor cabin steward out of your fight. If security doesn't deal with it, then go to guest services and take it up with them there. Don't punish the little guys.

Sorry, strongly disagree. The cabin stewards of all people are not the people to be dealing with this - security should be.

Placing the responsibility on housekeeping is just ridiculous. If he/she confronts the offender they too will likely remove their gratuities in retaliation (and perhaps friends of theirs in adjacent staterooms), and when your hissy fit causes you to remove yours as well, they're out a LOT of money for something that shouldn't have been their responsibility to deal with to begin with.

Call security and let THEM deal with it front the onset and leave your poor cabin steward out of your fight. If security doesn't deal with it, then go to guest services and take it up with them there. Don't punish the little guys.

I take it you are a smoker and nope it's not a hissy fit....

Do you want to know what I really think?

Dial 911 and say you smell smoke and tell them the cabin number.

But I'm smart enough to know that might be an overreaction....but I do know that the steward wants to do everything in his or her power to NOT have to answer as to why someone was smoking on a balcony they service.....that is why you get the steward involved...

Btw why exactly is it that you only quoted part of my post?

There is a video on YouTube of a well seasoned cruiser who told the steward about the marijuana smoker on the balcony next door. It did not go well. The steward chose not to do anything (maybe worried about his tip?). Guest services & security got involved. The offender was belligerent and was caught on camera peaking over the divider into the other cabin. It was just an awful experience & No, it did not occur on Carnival...although I'm sure this issue can occur on any line and has nothing to do with income levels or class.

There is a video on YouTube of a well seasoned cruiser who told the steward about the marijuana smoker on the balcony next door. It did not go well. The steward chose not to do anything (maybe worried about his tip?). Guest services & security got involved. The offender was belligerent and was caught on camera peaking over the divider into the other cabin. It was just an awful experience & No, it did not occur on Carnival...although I'm sure this issue can occur on any line and has nothing to do with income levels or class.

I tried searching for it, but to no avail. Have a link?

I take it you are a smoker and nope it's not a hissy fit....

Your description of throwing multiple people under the bus to the point where a cabin steward (of all people) could end up losing a huge amount of his income during that cruise (for an issue which shouldn't be his/hers to deal with to begin with) is to me, a hissy fit.

And no, I'm not a smoker at all. Vehement anti-smoker, actually - had you looked at some of my previous replies I'd think that would have been clear.

Btw why exactly is it that you only quoted part of my post?

Because I'm a forum savvy person who only quotes the relevant portion of what I'm responding to vs some who quote pages and pages of the OP only to make a a 2 line reply about one specific thing buried in the middle of the quote.

How do you deal with smokers on neighboring balconies when they seem to ignore the rules? Also, do aft wraps and extended balconies have as much of an issue with blowing smoke? Thanks, in advance.

I don't think anyone has actually addressed your second question I'll give my two cents. While we were on the Legend we had an aft balcony. One of the thing we quickly learned if ANYONE is smoking on ANY balcony, you will almost certainly smell it in the back. This is because the back of the ship is a low pressure area and it will linger there for quite a while. The same is true for engine soot if the conditions are just right.

While on our Alaska cruise, there were times my wife couldn't not go outside without triggering an asthma attack. We tried to tell guest service but because of the lower pressure effect there was no easy way to identify the person smoking.

Here you go: https://youtu.be/y5meMgVYMpg

Btw, I enjoy watching Mr. Traveler...learn alot!

Good video. Seems to get himself into issues that could have been avoided with a little research. Definitely, ask your neighbours to refrain from smoking on the balcony as it is against Carnival's rules. If they continue then get guest services involved.

Just make sure you close your balcony door before they show up. Listen to the video carefully and you'll understand why.

Good video. Seems to get himself into issues that could have been avoided with a little research. Definitely, ask your neighbours to refrain from smoking on the balcony as it is against Carnival's rules. If they continue then get guest services involved.

Just make sure you close your balcony door before they show up. Listen to the video carefully and you'll understand why.

I wouldn't bother asking my neighbor (using term very loosely), who knows very well what they are doing is wrong, to stop smoking, which is not very neighborly of them in the first place. The person in the video admitted his error in expecting the room steward to do anything about it and in hindsight felt guest services should have been called first. I agree. I'm not wasting my time on someone who can care less about the "neighbors" around him/her. I am also not going to put myself into a situation for someone to become belligerent or target me or my family.

Edited by BookDragon

I'm not wasting my time on someone who can care less about the "neighbors" around him/her. I am also not going to put myself into a situation for someone to become belligerent or target me or my family.

I was just identifying that the videographer cared less about his neighbours by leaving his balcony door open and the impact it would have on the AC of the cabins in the area. Just as annoying like leaving the exterior lights on at night, not as bad as second hand smoke.

I was just identifying that the videographer cared less about his neighbours by leaving his balcony door open and the impact it would have on the AC of the cabins in the area. Just as annoying like leaving the exterior lights on at night, not as bad as second hand smoke.

Whoa? Talk about deflection. So you defend the smoker and place the responsibility on the person affected to discuss it with him first? Really? And the smoker deserves that how? Then you deflect to open balconies? I swear I'm living in an alternate reality these days.

Whoa? Talk about deflection. So you defend the smoker and place the responsibility on the person affected to discuss it with him first? Really? And the smoker deserves that how? Then you deflect to open balconies? I swear I'm living in an alternate reality these days.

ikr! Why does it always seem in these threads that the person reporting it is seen as the jerk for trying to do something about it, but the person breaking the rules is blameless. I just don't understand the mentality of blaming the victim!

I, as a balcony guest, did not ask for nor do I want your second hand smoke, marijuana, or whatever else you're puffing on to drift across my face. There are 2 places onboard for you to take advantage of your habit. Use them.

I wouldn't bother asking my neighbor (using term very loosely), who knows very well what they are doing is wrong, to stop smoking, which is not very neighborly of them in the first place. The person in the video admitted his error in expecting the room steward to do anything about it and in hindsight felt guest services should have been called first. I agree. I'm not wasting my time on someone who can care less about the "neighbors" around him/her. I am also not going to put myself into a situation for someone to become belligerent or target me or my family.

Yep, that was his first mistake - trying to deal with things himself or asking a steward (who has ZERO interest in doing anything that potentially costs him his gratuities) to take care of the situation.

Call security right from the start, tell them you smell smoke from an adjacent stateroom (providing the exact number if possible) and let THEM deal with it.

At that point the offender has no idea where the complaint came from - could have been 10-20 balconies in any direction, so they have nobody to direct their childish vengeance at.