The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

There's been a lot of cheers threads, I've even made one, I figured if we could get all the FAQ in one place, we could help keep questions from being answered all day every day over and over. I've pulled these questions from existing threads from users, including myself. Answers confirmed by Carnival before posting (as of 2/18/2012). If I missed anything, please PM me, or ask, and I have no problem calling carnival to find out their answer and adding it to the list.

FAQ:

QUESTION: How much will I pay for Cheers?

A: You will pay $49.40USD For EVERY person in your cabin who is over 21 years old, EACH night you are on a cruise.

This means even if your cabin mate doesn't drink, you will still pay for them to be on the cheers program. Keep in mind that you do NOT pay for Disembarkment day, and you can sign up on the second day on board, paying for only that day through the last day, but you will be charged for each drink you order before you signed up separately.

EXAMPLE #1: You and your wife are cruising on the Freedom, on a 6 night cruise, and sign up for Cheers on the first day. You will pay $592.80 for the program. ($494 if you sign up on the second day)

EXAMPLE #2: You sail with your 19 year old daughter on a 6 night cruise, and sign up you pay $296.40. ($247.00 if you sign up on the second day)

QUESTION: Do I get charged for DisEmbarkment day/ Embarkment day?

A: You will NOT be charged for Disembarkement day. You will be charged for Embarkment day if you purchase the program on embarkment day.

QUESTION: Can I get this on Every Cruise?

A: NO Currently the program is available on the following ships only:

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Legend

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Magic

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Pride

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Valor

Carnival Victory

(last list update 12/31/2012)

QUESTION 3: My Wife is Pregnant, will Carnival make an exception since she can't drink?

A: NO. Carnival will make no exceptions for any reason, including medical, EVERYONE in the cabin over 21 will be charged for the program.

QUESTION: Is it worth it?

A: (thanks to Vinman13) Depends on how much you drink.

If you are a straight domestic beer drinker ($5.75/drink plus gratuity) it will take almost 8 beers (in a day) to break even. Then you will basically get beers 9 through 15 in a day free. Saving you up to $49.79/day.

If you are a Grey Goose Martini drinker ($9.95/drink plus gratuity) it will take less than 5 (in a day) to break even. Then you will get martinis 6 through 15 in a day free. Saving you up to $122.24/day.

QUESTION: Is it truly unlimited drinks?

A: NO, you are limited to 15 drinks per 24 hour period. The 24 hour period is 6am to 6am the next morning, so your 15 drinks don't restart at midnight, but at 6am the next morning. IN ADDITION, Carnival has stated that the staff has been trained to cut you off if you get too drunk, and they will. You are also limited to 1 drink every 5 minutes.

QUESTION: I'm a Bears fan and can put away a case of beer on a Sunday, Can I still get more drinks after 15?

A: YES, but you will have to pay for them, as long as you are not too drunk, As a Bears fan, you should be fine up to 30 or so beers a day.

QUESTION: Can I drink anything I want?

A: NO, Beverages Included In The Program:

All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $10.00 or lower menu price.

Sodas and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails.

25% discount off the menu price for bottled water

25% discount off the menu price for spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink.

25% discount off the menu price wine and champagne by the bottle.

Beverages Excluded From The Program:

Non-alcoholic beverages other than soda and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails.

Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses.

Bottles of liquor.

Bottled water (offered at a 25% discount).

Beverages offered at gangway while debarking.

Beverages offered through room service as well as mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs.

The sharing of cocktails and floaters.

Buckets of beer, pitchers of beer, and beer tubes.

Wine and champagne by the bottle (offered at a 25% discount).

All spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink (offered at a 25% discount).

Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines.

Coffee beverages and food items.

All other beverage-related programs including cookbooks and bar books, beverage seminars and classes, as well as cigars.

QUESTION: Can I order a bucket of beer and have it count as 4 drinks?

A: NO, one drink at a time with at least 5 minutes between drinks. However as many have stated, you can ask for unopened drinks, and save them up yourself.

QUESTION: Is soda Included?

A: YES. "bottomless Bubbles" is included in the program, which gives you unlimited soda (6.00 Per Person/ Per Day Value). Other non-alcoholic drinks also do not count towards your limit.

QUESTION: Do soda's count towards the 15 drinks?

A: NO, Sodas are truly unlimited and do not count towards your 15 drink minimum.

QUESTION: Can I get drinks for me and my cabin mate from the bar at the same time?

A: NO, Everyone must get their own drink so they can tell if one person is too drunk, and needs to be cut off. (carnival's answer)

QUESTION: Can I get specialty coffee, or redbull/monster/bawls/other energy drink, with this program?

A: NO, the program does not include those beverages. It also does not include bottled water(25% discount applies to bottled water not in the mini-bar), mini-bar, or room service drinks.

QUESTION: Does cheers work on Half Moon Cay?

A: Yes, cheers applies while you are on Half Moon Cay, but no other port.

QUESTION: Are tips and Taxes included

A: TIPs are included. TAXES while in US waters (IE embarkement day, key west stops, etc) Will be added onto your S&S Account. The package itself is NOT taxed, you will only pay tax on individual drinks in US waters regardless of when you buy the program.

IN ADDITION, Carnival has stated that the staff has been trained to cut you off if you get too drunk, and they will.

Carnival could make a fortune on this Cheers program ... Serve you 3 beers and when you go up to get the 4th ... just cut you off by saying they think your drunk (even if your not at all) ... who are you to complain to

Might be better having the wait staff give everyone on this program a hand-held breathalizer ... blow over a .10 and cut you off.

Awesome job, thanks. A side issue that I will seek out on my cruise next month is how closely they watch you share drinks. Due to kids being registered in another room, my wife is registered with kids and I am only adult registered in my room. I will buy Cheers program for me and see if I can get her some drinks. She will only have a few drinks per day, so no way it would make sense for both of us to get the program. I will not dribk 15 per day, so I'm hopeful this can be pulled off.

Carnival could make a fortune on this Cheers program ... Serve you 3 beers and when you go up to get the 4th ... just cut you off by saying they think your drunk (even if your not at all) ... who are you to complain to

Might be better having the wait staff give everyone on this program a hand-held breathalizer ... blow over a .10 and cut you off.

I am trying to confirm, bit the rumor was you will be refunded the remainder of the program, and have to buy at full price for the rest of the cruise.

I got the cheers on the Conquest in January, 2013 and they insisted the soda WAS included in the 15 drink limit! I argued that was rediculous and the staff person selling it said the bar manager had just reiterated that that morning. So, if you drink a lot of soda, it will reduce the amount of alcoholic drinks you can get.

We never got to the 15 limit, so it really didn't matter for us, but others may have a problem if due to drinking soda they get to 15 by 7pm!

I think they really need to confirm all these details for the program so the bar managers on all ships have the same rules. I don't know if other ships have this same rule or not.

I got the cheers on the Conquest in January, 2013 and they insisted the soda WAS included in the 15 drink limit! I argued that was rediculous and the staff person selling it said the bar manager had just reiterated that that morning. So, if you drink a lot of soda, it will reduce the amount of alcoholic drinks you can get.

We never got to the 15 limit, so it really didn't matter for us, but others may have a problem if due to drinking soda they get to 15 by 7pm!

I think they really need to confirm all these details for the program so the bar managers on all ships have the same rules. I don't know if other ships have this same rule or not.

carnival over the phone told me that sodas do NOT count towards the 15 drink maximum, Like I said these are what was said this morning on my conversation with them.

As we all know, this is a pilot or test program right now, so changes could be made at any time.

Thank you pbsteve for taking the time to do this. I am trying it for the first time this June on the Glory and have been all over the board looking for answers. My only issue was a break even point and not whether or not I get cut off at 15 drinks! If they have to cut me off then I am not having fun! :p Or I will have a wasted day in the morning!

My biggest complaint on the Cheers program was the tipping of the staff. They all split the tips that you have paid Carnival up front. So there is no incentive to hustle. Or to come back & check on you. If you sit at the bar all day long & get your own drinks, you should be fine however.

I find it hard to believe that when a bar server types in their ID number that Carnival in their infinite wisdom can't figure out how to tip based on what was worked? Had really looked forward to it, but I won't be getting it again. :(

My biggest complaint on the Cheers program was the tipping of the staff. They all split the tips that you have paid Carnival up front. So there is no incentive to hustle. Or to come back & check on you. If you sit at the bar all day long & get your own drinks, you should be fine however.

I find it hard to believe that when a bar server types in their ID number that Carnival in their infinite wisdom can't figure out how to tip based on what was worked? Had really looked forward to it, but I won't be getting it again. :(

I assume you mean the servers who walk around asking for orders on the sun or lido deck.

Question for you though. Did you get a special card for drinks? if not, they won't know until they've already gotten you a drink that youre a cheers member, in which case, it shouldn't take any longer? I do remember from the many years ago when I cruised last, they took forever to bring me a drink anyway, the further you are from the bar, the longer it will take. I know if I were a drink runner, I'd check on the close people first, as its' fast and easy.

Someone had said that sodas count towards 15. I've recieved a response from carnival with a definitive answer, as I wanted to confirm if maybe some boats have different rules.:

QUESTION: Do different boats have different rules?

ANSWER: NO, however it is a test program, and can change at any time

QUESTION: Do milkshakes count?

ANSWER: NO, these are considered specialty non alcoholic drinks

QUESTION: I'm trying to calculate if its worth it, How much does alcohol cost onboard?

Answer: AS OF 2/1/2013 (15% MANDITORY GRATUITY IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE LISTED)

Draft Beers prices

$5,50 (16oz) and $28,95 (a tube of 101oz) for "Modelo Especial", "Dos Equis", "Presidente", "FROG'S PINT" (20oz)

The Carnival's Thirsty Red Frog beer price is: $5,50 (20oz), $15,75 (60oz), $25,75 (101oz).

$ Carnival Beer Package

The Carnival beer bucket prices are discounted - for 4 bottled beers in a bucket (plastic or aluminum bottles), purchased on the ship, domestic brands from the menu. You save $2 on the bucket ($0,50 a beer) plus you save the 15% gratuity on the $2 ($0,30 additional savings). The cost of a beer bucket depends on the brand, you can also mix and match beers, sometimes there are specials if you buy 4 beers you get the 5th one for free in the bucket.

$6,75 Foster's (25oz, 750ml)

The same price goes for a fun shandy - the "BLUE'S MICHELADA" beer cocktail from "The Blue Iguana" bar menu (beer plus fresh lime juice, Worchestershire, Tobasco) or from the "RedFrog" bar menu - the"RED'S BEER COCKTAIL" (beer with Captain Morgan's SpicedRum).

$6,25 Bud Lite Lime (16oz)

$5,95 Bottled Beers (16oz)

Boddingtons

Grolsch

Guinness Pub Draught

$5,75 Bottled Beer (16oz)

Bud, Bud Light

Budweiser

Coors Light

Michelob Ultra

Miller Lite

Smirnoff Ice (12oz, malt beer).

$4,95 Bottled Beers (12oz)

Amstel (Reg/Light)

Bass Ale

Beck's

Blue Moon

Corona, Corona Light (Mexico)

Dos Equis (Mexico)

Heineken

Kalik (The Bahamas)

Molson

Pilsner Urquell

Presidente (Dominican Republic)

Red Stripe (Jamaica)

Sol

Pacifico

Stella Artois

Tekate

Peroni, Birra Moretti (Cucina del Capitano).

$3,95 Non-Alcoholic Beer - Buckler (12oz).

Now about the liquor - the cost of alcohol on Carnival cruise ships by the glass and by the bottle:

Carnival Cruise Alcohol Brands prices per glass prices per bottle

Carnival cruise souvenir glasses prices (all cruise long refils with frozen cocktails at discounted prices):

32oz "Bikini Yard" glass (refills at $18,95)

28oz "Twister" glass (refills at $16,95)

19oz "Yard" glass (refills at $10,95)

16oz "Fun" glass (refills at $7,25)

"Monkey Head", Puffer Fish" & "Whale Tail" glasses (all available for purchasing only on the 1st day as DOD - Drink of the Day - promo), total cost $14,95 (with a $8,95 cocktail)

$22,75

$19.75

$12,75

$9,95

$6,00

"Pirate's Skull" (take glass home + $10)

$14,95

"Pitchers of Spiked Lemonade (48oz, with Skyy Vodka)

$24,95

"Pirate's Skull" (take glass home + $10)

$14,95

"Souvenir Disco Ball glass with Rum Punch Fever"

$12,95

Carnival (mixed drinks) COCKTAILS/FROZENS/SHOOTERS/DAIQUIRIS/MOJITOS prices

Red's Rum Treasure (16oz)

$10,95 -.

Carnival Cosmo, Long Island, Margarita Miracle; Limoncello Martini (Cucina del Capitano)

$8,95

The Superstar, Perfect Harmony, Mango Mojito, The Rock Star Margarita, Patron Ablaze, Spicy Mix, Cali Sound, Jager-Rita, Long Island Iced Tea, Bloody Mary, DJ, Turn-Table, The Clubber, Souvenir Disco Ball, The Cruiser, Mojito, Mai Tai, Sex On The Beach, Royal Flush, Beachcomber, Red's Remedy, Rum Runner Jumper, Frog's Island Iced Tea, Dirty Mojito, Ting Mojito; Americano (Cucina del Capitano, Stolichnaya vodka)

$8,75

"The Fun Ship" drink price for a 15oz souvenir glass (refill the glass for $6,75)

$7,50

The Twilight Zone, Miami Vice, Dirty Banana, Mudside, Rum Runner, Frozen Cappuccino, Mango Swirl, Hurricane Wave, Kiss on the Lips, Mocha Chocolate Getaway, Shade-Ade, Caribbean Colada, Mango Magic, Blue's Blue Margarita, Mimosa, Red's Strawberry Daiquiri (non-alcoholic for $4,75)

$7,25

Peach Bellini (Cucina del Capitano, Prosecco)

$6,75

The Red Temptation, Spicey Love Song, Kamikaze, Woo Woo (discounted 4 for $20), Electronic, Pop, Hip Pop, Rock

$5,95

Daiquiri (Banana, Strawberry, Mango, Pina Colada, Raspberry, Lemonade, Peach, Hurricane)

$5,25

for non-alcoholic

$4,75

MARTINIS prices

Tiramisu, Appletini, Pomtini, Saketini, Cosmopolitan, Bluemoon, Beautiful Girl, Red Rocker

$8,95 -.

CORDIALS/LIQUEURS prices

Drambui, Jagermaister, Grand Marnier, Balleys, Chambord, Baileys Irish Cream, Palini Limoncelo, Drambuie

$6,50 -.

Brogan's, Midori, Cointreau, Galliano

$5,95

Southern Comfort, Tia Maria, Frangelico, Kahlua, Amaretto Di Saronno, Sambuca

$5,50

By the Glass or Bottle prices (Glass/bottle)

VODKA prices

"Three Olives, Ketel One, Grey Goose" ($60)

$7,50 $60

"Stolichnaya, Smirnoff, Finlandia, ABSOLUT" ($40)

$5,75 $40

"Skyy"

$4,95 $40.

BLENDS/BOURBON prices

"Seagram's Crown Royal, Jack Daniel's Black"

$6,25 $65

Maker's Mark"

$6,25 $60

"Canadian Club, Seagram's 7, Jim Beam"

$5,50 $40.

SCOTCH prices

"Chivas Regal, Dewar's 12"

$7,50 $60

"Johnnie Walker Black"

$7,50

$70

"Dewar's White, Jameson"

$5,75

$60

"Cutty Sark"

$4,95 $40.

JIN prices

"Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire"

$6,50 $55

"Beefeater, Slow Gin"

$5,25 $40.

RUM prices

"Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Gosling's"

$5,75 $40

"Black Seal, Malibu"

$5,75 $55

"Cruzan White"

$4,95 $40.

TEQUILA prices

"Patron Reposado"

$10,95 $70

"Patron Silver"

$9,95 $70

"Don Julio Silver"

$8,95 $60

"Reposado, Homitos, Salsa Hornitas"

$8,75 $60

"Reposado, 1800"

$6,50 $55

"Jose Cuervo Especial"

$6,25 $40

"Gold, Margaritaville"

$5,50 $40.

BRANDY/COGNAC prices

"Hardy XO"

$12,25 $90

"Remy Martin"

$9,25 $70

"Hardy VSOP"

$7,75 $60

"Courvoisier VS"

$6,50 $55

"Napoleon VSOP"

$5,50 $50.

SINGLE MALT prices

"Macallan Select Oak"

$8,50 $65

"Bowmore 12y"

$7,75 $60

"Glenfiddich 12y"

$6,95 $55

"Glenmorangie 10y"

$6,75 $55.

QUESTION: I heard servers don't help us as much because the tips are pre-determined, is this true?

ANSWER: If you think your servers are avoiding you, or being slow to help you, be sure to talk to the staff on-board about the issue. While I was not told the tipping policy, Amber at Carnival suggested that servers tips are "probably" based on the number of drinks they sold, not the cost of the drink.

Edited by pbsteve

The stuff on the buffett that they pass for coffee is nasty, in my opinion, I like the real stuff,made from grounds, dont need or want anything more fancy than that. They always look at me crazy when i ask for just a plain ol cup of coffee, i drink about 5 or 6 a day.

I wish they would amend it to include coffee, if they would I would go for it, coffee is cheaper than beer, wonder why they wont count it in?

I know the specialty coffee from their private labled starbucks isn't included. I will have to check on regular coffee. I'm a purist, give me coffee black and I'll drink it. give me starbucks, and I'll throw it out.

I am currently trying to find out about the DOD, they are sold with the cup on the first drink for 14.95, so that's a NO, the refills are in question