Enclosed balcony versus regular balcony

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:09 PM.
#3
1,819 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Hopefully ALL balconies are enclosed - otherwise those using their balconies would fall overboard!

I think the OP is referring to covered vs partially covered vs uncovered as well.

Some balcony cabins are completely open -"uncovered" - meaning they have no roof over them, as on the Dolphin deck of Princess ships.

Some balcony cabins have a partial roof - 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered. The portion of the balcony closest to the cabin is covered - the forward portion of the balcony is uncovered.

Some balcony cabins are fully covered, having a roof that covers the entire balcony area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



"Adventure Before Dementia!"
Proud HAL Mariner
#4
96 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by luvs2travl
Hopefully ALL balconies are enclosed - otherwise those using their balconies would fall overboard!

I think the OP is referring to covered vs partially covered vs uncovered as well.

Some balcony cabins are completely open -"uncovered" - meaning they have no roof over them, as on the Dolphin deck of Princess ships.

Some balcony cabins have a partial roof - 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered. The portion of the balcony closest to the cabin is covered - the forward portion of the balcony is uncovered.

Some balcony cabins are fully covered, having a roof that covers the entire balcony area.

HAHA! good point! we are on pearl deck 8 unobstructed balcony, i had hear d someone mention that there were some that were "enclosed"t curious...maybe if someone has a pick of it.......its the last cabin before going mid ship
#5
Coastal GA USA
21,507 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
An enclosed balcony is one that has metal around it, rather than plexiglas. On Cunard's QM2 they are referred to as sheltered balconies, or in-hull balconies. On Carnival Dream/Magic/Breeze they are cove balconies. Often they are considered partially obstructed because you cannot sit on them and see the water. Google cove balcony and sheltered balcony. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Fascination 10/8/17; Carnival Elation 12/11/17;Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
#6
1,819 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by noel386
HAHA! good point! we are on pearl deck 8 unobstructed balcony, i had hear d someone mention that there were some that were "enclosed"t curious...maybe if someone has a pick of it.......its the last cabin before going mid ship
Are you referring to the Norwegian Pearl? What cabin number? The pictures of the balcony cabins on that deck of the Norwegian Pearl appear to be regular balcony cabins of 162 sq ft with a covered 38 sq ft. balcony with the plexiglass on it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



"Adventure Before Dementia!"
Proud HAL Mariner
#7
1,819 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Essiesmom
An enclosed balcony is one that has metal around it, rather than plexiglas. On Cunard's QM2 they are referred to as sheltered balconies, or in-hull balconies. On Carnival Dream/Magic/Breeze they are cove balconies. Often they are considered partially obstructed because you cannot sit on them and see the water. Google cove balcony and sheltered balcony. EM
I tried googling "enclosed balcony" and got nothing. Good to know the other and perhaps the proper term is "sheltered balcony". Yes - we have seen those on several cruise lines.

Thanks, Essiesmom!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



"Adventure Before Dementia!"
Proud HAL Mariner
#8
96 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by luvs2travl
Are you referring to the Norwegian Pearl? What cabin number? The pictures of the balcony cabins on that deck of the Norwegian Pearl appear to be regular balcony cabins of 162 sq ft with a covered 38 sq ft. balcony with the plexiglass on it.

8048 is the cabin number...thanks!
#9
4,586 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We always book a balcony and after several cruises with the plexiglass partition, we sailed on a ship with the enclosure that curved and was out of the steel. I think it might have been Legend of the Seas, but I could be wrong. It wasn't as attractive and you can't sit in the chair and see the water. You have to stand to see it. We've always had a "roof" on the balcony. I'll take a balcony any which way it comes, but prefer the plexiglass front to the balcony.
#10
Long Island, NY
16,656 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by griffy116
We always book a balcony and after several cruises with the plexiglass partition, we sailed on a ship with the enclosure that curved and was out of the steel. I think it might have been Legend of the Seas, but I could be wrong. It wasn't as attractive and you can't sit in the chair and see the water. You have to stand to see it. We've always had a "roof" on the balcony. I'll take a balcony any which way it comes, but prefer the plexiglass front to the balcony.
Voyager, Explorer and Adventure have the steel balconies with the partial steel front topped with a small piece of plexiglass. Deck 6 balconies on these ships have more steel and less of a view than the balconies on the upper decks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Donna

139 nights at sea (81 with RCI):
RCCL Anthem of the Seas (7 nights NJ to Bahamas) 3/19/17
RCCL Anthem of the Seas (5 nights NJ to Bermuda) 4/30/16
RCCL Anthem of the Seas (3 nights sampler NJ cruise to nowhere) 3/4/16
RCCL Liberty of the Seas (5 nights NJ to Bermuda) 10/17/15
RCCL Quantum of the Seas (3 nights inaugural sampler NJ cruise to nowhere) 11/18/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 nights Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 nights NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (7 nights NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (7 nights Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 nights NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (7 nights Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (7 nights Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (7 nights Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (7 nights NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (7 nights Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (7 nights Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (7 nights Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (7 nights Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (7 nights NY to Bermuda) 7/88
#11
OK
378 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Go to youtube and type in your ship and you will see all kinds of short films on it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/14/2015 Dailey and Vincent Water Fest on Liberty of the Seas.