Car rental in Juneau & ideas for visiting with older parent

dinibo

I've done some searching and I seem to be getting some mixed results so I was hoping to find the most recent experiences people have had.

We will be visiting Juneau on 8/29 from 6:30-4pm and will be a group of 5 adults. My FIL will be joining us and based upon his limited mobility we are really struggling to come up with ideas for what to do yet still make sure he is able to participate in the trip. He is able to walk short distances but we are also thinking of renting a wheelchair for the trip to make it easier on him.

The best idea we currently have is to rent a car and just visit a few sites on our own, particularly mendenhall. I know there is a wheelchair accessible trail but was curious if people thought it would be possible to make it to nugget falls in one? Also, are there any other locations you can think of we might enjoy visiting that would be accessible by car but also potentially wheelchair accessible?

Finally does anyone know which rental car agencies are currently available to the dock or fairly easily accessible? I have heard Juneau Rental Car is an option but I've also read their cars are pretty beat up and unreliable and I'm pretty nervous about getting stranded somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with them that would sway a nervous nelly either way?

Thanks so much!

I've rented from Juneau Car Rental many times and have had no problems with their cars. They often are older cars, but in good running condition. They've also been adding newer models over the past few years. The main problem with them is if you are not docked at the AJ dock, it's about a 20 minute walk to get to them.

I've rented from Juneau Car Rental many times and have had no problems with their cars. They often are older cars, but in good running condition. They've also been adding newer models over the past few years. The main problem with them is if you are not docked at the AJ dock, it's about a 20 minute walk to get to them.

Do you know if it's possible to go pick up the car and then drive back to the ship to pick up the rest of your party? I'm in a similar situation.

We’ve been renting from Juneau Car Rental for years and have never had a problem or even heard of anyone having problems with their vehicles. Another option is Avis which has a location in the same general area as Juneau Car Rental. Map it. Airport prices may be better although a bit more difficult to get to.

If there is a ship at the AJ Dock there will be a bus that goes back and forth from there to the tram parking area all day. It was $3 a few years ago after I dropped off my rental.

I always walk over to Juneau Car Rental and then drive back to the ship and pick up my husband. There’s a drop off area in front of where the Princess ship is docked - I don’t know about the other ships. I call my husband when I get the car, and then he is waiting for me in front of the ship. Picking him up has never been a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm thinking of renting a car as well, although it sounds like a bit of a pain to get to Juneau Car Rental from where we'll be docking - NOT at AJ dock. From what I have read on another thread, even if a car does break down, around Juneau there aren't all that many places you can go, so even if breaks down around Mendenhall, someone can probably come out to help you.

I researched getting a car at the airport, and while it's cheaper, it requires a cab ride back and forth, which makes it about the same price as renting from Juneau. If you rent with Juneau, clarify the cancellation policy. It may not be free like so many other car rentals are - at least in the U.S. I found Avis more expensive than Juneau, and in about the same area location-wise. If you're docking at AJ, using Juneau or Avis would certainly be easiest. To see where you're docking, see http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

There are a number of ways to get to Mendenhall. We may just forget about a car and go some other way. The city itself is pretty easily walked, for the most part.

I've done some searching and I seem to be getting some mixed results so I was hoping to find the most recent experiences people have had.

We will be visiting Juneau on 8/29 from 6:30-4pm and will be a group of 5 adults. My FIL will be joining us and based upon his limited mobility we are really struggling to come up with ideas for what to do yet still make sure he is able to participate in the trip. He is able to walk short distances but we are also thinking of renting a wheelchair for the trip to make it easier on him.

The best idea we currently have is to rent a car and just visit a few sites on our own, particularly mendenhall. I know there is a wheelchair accessible trail but was curious if people thought it would be possible to make it to nugget falls in one? Also, are there any other locations you can think of we might enjoy visiting that would be accessible by car but also potentially wheelchair accessible?

Finally does anyone know which rental car agencies are currently available to the dock or fairly easily accessible? I have heard Juneau Rental Car is an option but I've also read their cars are pretty beat up and unreliable and I'm pretty nervous about getting stranded somewhere. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with them that would sway a nervous nelly either way?

Thanks so much!

I am in a similar position for our upcoming cruise (my 85-year old parents have somewhat limited mobility). There will be five of us. We are renting from Avis, and plan on having whichever of us will be the driver take an Uber (or taxi or a long walk) to Avis from where we will be docked (CT) and then come back to get the rest of us. Will do the reverse when we return the car. As for driving options, here is a rough plan we likely will follow at least in part (no Mendenhall for us, because we all have been there before multiple times):

- Drive to Shrine of St. Therese. About 20 miles north of Downtown Juneau, an easy and lovely drive. The Shrine property is gorgeous and your FIL can walk as little or as much as he wants and/or be wheeled around much of it. He may not be able to go out to the little island shrine, but the rest of the property is worth seeing.

- Go to the Macauley Salmon Hatchery, mainly because none of us have been there.

- Drive around Douglas Island. Very pretty places to stop and take in the view.

- Go to Glacier Gardens, because they take you around in a vehicle, so good for those with mobility issues.

- Maybe go to renovated Alaska State Museum (would work with a wheelchair).

Good luck!

I'm thinking of renting a car as well, although it sounds like a bit of a pain to get to Juneau Car Rental from where we'll be docking - NOT at AJ dock.

Our ship wasn't docked at the AJ dock. Was still able to use their shuttle to get back to the tram area after dropping the car off at Juneau Car Rental.

Nugget Falls trail is NOT wheelchair accessible. It is gravel/dirt which is a nighmare with a wheelchair. The Photo Point trial is all paved, but does involve an incline that can be a challenge pushing a wheelchair.

I researched getting a car at the airport, and while it's cheaper, it requires a cab ride back and forth, which makes it about the same price as renting from Juneau. If you rent with Juneau, clarify the cancellation policy. It may not be free like so many other car rentals are - at least in the U.S. I found Avis more expensive than Juneau, and in about the same area location-wise. If you're docking at AJ, using Juneau or Avis would certainly be easiest. To see where you're docking, see http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

If timed right, there is the express bus available to/from the airport. Being most people would be going past the airport in that direction, it may not be much of an inconvenience to get an airport rental.

Does anyone know how late Juneau Car Rental is open until? I have a car reserved at Avis Cruise dock but our itinerary was changed to being in port 2:30-11 (instead of 12:30-10) and I'm not sure we will have enought time to go to Mendenhall and other sites in time before Avis closes at 6pm.

Does anyone know how late Juneau Car Rental is open until?

They close the downtown/AJ Dock location early, around 2pm. They only stay there to accommodate the folks with reservations and then leave for the day unless there’s a late arrival.

We’ve dropped there after hours and it is a bit risky although have not had a problem. It would be prudent to check with your credit card company and home automobile policy to see if there is coverage for an after hours drop.

They close the downtown/AJ Dock location early, around 2pm. They only stay there to accommodate the folks with reservations and then leave for the day unless there’s a late arrival.

We’ve dropped there after hours and it is a bit risky although have not had a problem. It would be prudent to check with your credit card company and home automobile policy to see if there is coverage for an after hours drop.

Last year. The office was open until 5or 6pm. I DID have a problem with a return, and was charged for damages, found at "check in" the next morning. BUT= I actually had checked in with staff and had a receipt, from just before closure. Took months to remove the charge.

Last year. The office was open until 5or 6pm. I DID have a problem with a return, and was charged for damages, found at "check in" the next morning. BUT= I actually had checked in with staff and had a receipt, from just before closure. Took months to remove the charge.

Last year they said they'd be open until 5pm and we dropped after they closed. I'm looking at this years trip to Juneau and called. They said closing about 2pm although it wasn't the actual person who works at that location.

Last year they said they'd be open until 5pm and we dropped after they closed. I'm looking at this years trip to Juneau and called. They said closing about 2pm although it wasn't the actual person who works at that location.

Great reminder to always verify current information. Life is in a constant state of change. :)