M. S. Minerva of Swan Hellenic Lines

Swan Hellenic Lines went out of business. But, what has happened to their Minerva? Doing a search today, I found that she is currently doing a cruise from Muscat to Piraeus with "a small cruise line", but that line is not identified.

I'd appreciate if anyone can provide any information as to which cruise line is now operating/marketing the Minerva. If any information is available as to what happened to her since the demise of Swan Hellenic, I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you.

• 6 months later...
I believe the Minerva of swan Hellenic fame went to p and o as the new Adonia we did an Amazon trip on her 2006 before change of hands lovely small ship perfect for the itinerary I think p and o have now sold her on !

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware of the sale to P&O, but agree that she is now sailing for some other company. I have been unsuccessful in finding what company or any definite cruising plans.

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 2:54 PM, Chris andpiptraveltips said:

I believe the Minerva of swan Hellenic fame went to p and o as the new Adonia we did an Amazon trip on her 2006 before change of hands lovely small ship perfect for the itinerary I think p and o have now sold her on !

The P&O ship Adomia, which was formerly the Royal Princess started life as one of the Renaissance Ships, R-8 if memory is correct. Prior to being purchased by P&O/Princess she was Minerva II, a different ship from Minerva. This ship is now Azamara Pursuit.

The original Minerva was originally built as a Russian research vessel, but never entered service. Swan Hellenic (P&O Company) purchased/leased her and she entered service as MV Minerva about 1996. I recall her going out of service in the early 2000's and having spells with Saga Cruises. Few years later she joined the re-activated Swan Hellenic, who reverted her name back to MV Minerva.

Read they went bust last year and haven't heard want happened to the ship.

Heidi13,

I am not sure we are talking about the same Minerva to which I am referring.  Looking online at the photos of your Minerva, they are not the same as the ship of which I posted.

Never sailed on the ship; I posted the question in response to a friend who has sailed on her, but is not online.

May need to give him a call to see if he can supply any further information.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Heidi13,

I am not sure we are talking about the same Minerva to which I am referring.  Looking online at the photos of your Minerva, they are not the same as the ship of which I posted.

Never sailed on the ship; I posted the question in response to a friend who has sailed on her, but is not online.

May need to give him a call to see if he can supply any further information.

Most likely was the Minerva II, which started as a Renaisance ship, then became Royal Princess and Adonia. Now sails as Azamara Pursuit.

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am still unsure that we are speaking of the same vessel named Minerva.  My friend's Minerva looked nothing like the R Ships that had other futures.

Sorry, can't help, as those are the only 2 Minerva's I recall. If you find anything, would be interested in reading any info you find.

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Sorry, can't help, as those are the only 2 Minerva's I recall. If you find anything, would be interested in reading any info you find.

In the interest of my friend who is not online, I am going to keep searching and will try to remember to respond if I find any further information.  I surely appreciate your responses!

I spoke with my friend on Thanksgiving night and the Minerva of Swan Hellenic on which he sailed more than once was a 350 passenger vessel.  The former R Class vessel that became Minerva II carried 750 guests.  We are both reasonably certain that Minerva II never sailed under the Swan Hellenic flag.

56 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

At 350 passengers I suspect he sailed on the first Minerva, which was a smaller ship, as it was designed as a Russian survey vessel. Did a quick web search to confirm the memory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Minerva

Yes, that's Scott's Minerva.  Thanks for your research.

Interesting that Wikipedia has her as "laid up" with no further information. 

• 8 months later...

The ex Swan Hellenic Minerva, not an R ship,  was previously known as Saga Pearl prior to the sale to Swan Hellenic. Since the demise of Swan Hellenic she spent some time laid up in Bremerhaven. At present she is at anchor off the coast of Saudi Arabia south of Thuwal.

• Like 1