Departure from San Juan

Floridastorm

We are on the Star Pride for April 7, 2018 departure from San Juan to Lisbon. Since there are a few flights out of the Florida airports, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami, for San Juan, and since the ship's departure from San Juan is 10 PM, would it be necessary to fly out on the 6th and stay overnight in San Juan instead of the 7th or would the 7th be adequate? If on the 6th it would necessitate a hotel stay in San Juan. However, don't know what one does until 10 pm if checkout is around noon or so. If this be the case, would appreciate any recommendations.

I'd probably come in on the day before because I hate worrying about whether a flight delay will make me miss the plane. Few flights mean that there is limited flexibility if a flight is canceled. Even more so since a couple of weeks ago I went through the mess at Orlando where they cleared out the airport and made everyone get re-screened.

One can still board at 1 PM, make your Candles reservation and then stay on the ship or go back out to do something before departure. Or one could check luggage at the hotel in the morning and go to the ship later.

One needs to factor in the availability of hotels in San Juan. Right now it remains a pretty serious problem. My son just returned home from a San Juan FEMA deployment and conditions remain challenging. Of course they continue to slowly improve and by April should be pretty good.

That said, we are scheduled on the Pride on January 20th. We have flights to SJU on the 19th with a hotel lined up. But we also have a flight scheduled into MCO Friday with a 6:30a flight to San Juan on Saturday if the situation on the ground in San Juan remains problematic. Right now, motel rooms are going for several hundred a night and are subject to cancellation. We'll be making a final decision in January cancelling the other option.

We are on the Star Pride for April 7, 2018 departure from San Juan to Lisbon. Since there are a few flights out of the Florida airports, Orlando, Tampa, and Miami, for San Juan, and since the ship's departure from San Juan is 10 PM, would it be necessary to fly out on the 6th and stay overnight in San Juan instead of the 7th or would the 7th be adequate? If on the 6th it would necessitate a hotel stay in San Juan. However, don't know what one does until 10 pm if checkout is around noon or so. If this be the case, would appreciate any recommendations.

We've flown into San Juan same day of departure from Orlando since they have non stops. BUT that was for cruise in Caribbean and I always figure if we miss the ship there are puddle jumpers to catch up. On a TA its a different story. You can board at 1 and relax or go into the city. I would talk to WS as I think the late departure means they expect people to fly in same day. If your airport has more than one flight a day then opt for the early one so you can get rebooked. Again, a TA would probably make me a little more cautious. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We've flown into San Juan same day of departure from Orlando since they have non stops. BUT that was for cruise in Caribbean and I always figure if we miss the ship there are puddle jumpers to catch up. On a TA its a different story. You can board at 1 and relax or go into the city. I would talk to WS as I think the late departure means they expect people to fly in same day. If your airport has more than one flight a day then opt for the early one so you can get rebooked. Again, a TA would probably make me a little more cautious. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the head's up. Orlando and Miami have from 3 to 5 flights a day to San Juan. But, we may still come into San Juan a couple of days early and do a little sightseeing. Do you know which pier the ship departs from?:

Paseo Concepcion de Gracia

Old San Juan Pier

Pier (Muelle) #4

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

- OR -

Pan American Pier

Isla Grande, Puerto Rico

Thanks for the head's up. Orlando and Miami have from 3 to 5 flights a day to San Juan. But, we may still come into San Juan a couple of days early and do a little sightseeing. Do you know which pier the ship departs from?:

Paseo Concepcion de Gracia

Old San Juan Pier

Pier (Muelle) #4

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

- OR -

Pan American Pier

Isla Grande, Puerto Rico

Our 12/9/17 Star Pride cruise embarks at Old San Juan Pier.

Florida: Look into a stay at El Convento. It is a lovely hotel in Old San Juan that is up and running now, should be in full swing by April. Great food in the area and easy to walk around... well, except for the cobblestones.;)

Unfortunately, I have already booked the Courtyard which is in the Miramar district. If I had known before. But, think the Courtyard will be fine. Just have to take a taxi to the port. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

With Star Legend, it was St Apolonia. It might vary depending on the ships in port.

If you Google on Lisbon cruise terminal, one of the hits should be the port authority website which has a schedule with dock assignments. Or search, the Windstar board for Lisbon - I've posted the link before.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

With Star Legend, it was St Apolonia. It might vary depending on the ships in port.

If you Google on Lisbon cruise terminal, one of the hits should be the port authority website which has a schedule with dock assignments. Or search, the Windstar board for Lisbon - I've posted the link before.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I believe I heard that they use St. Apolonia unless there are too many ships in port and then use the other pier.

Yes, we have stayed in Lisbon every time and we love it! Walk across the street to the train station to grab a cab - about 100 yards from the exit. They are plentiful there and elsewhere in Lisbon. Uber is also available

Yes, we have stayed in Lisbon every time and we love it! Walk across the street to the train station to grab a cab - about 100 yards from the exit. They are plentiful there and elsewhere in Lisbon. Uber is also available

We're staying in an AIRbnb apartment in the Graca District for 7 days. Very nice apartment and not expensive at all. Expect to be getting the transportation Day Pass for each day which apparently allows for unlimited travel on Trams, Buses, Metro, Funiculars, and Ferries. We also enjoy walking a lot.

Do the cabs generally use the Meter from the get go or do you have to remind them to turn it on? We will be 4 adults with a total of 4 suitcases and probably 4 carryons. Hopefully there different size cabs that can handle that?

Can someone fill me in on the event spaces aboard the Star Pride?

Amphora: I believe it to be the main restaurant. Buffet Breakfast and Lunch. Dining Room for Dinner.

Candles: Is this a specialty Steakhouse type restaurant? Is one able to eat there anytime or is it restricted?

Sky Bar and Grill: Guess you can eat there at anytime.

Compass Rose: I think this is where music and possibly dancing go on.

Yacht Club: Is this just a room to relax and have a drink. Believe you can get coffee and sandwiches also.

What about the Bars or Lounges on board. How many and what are they called?

Thanks...................................

Folks staying airbnb in Lisbon - we did it last year at the end of the Surf TA and while the apartment was great and very functional I made a mistake and did not determine that an elevator was available. It was exactly 65 stairs from the street to the apartment. With the suitcases it was a horrible experience trying to get them up the steps with bad knees and such it ended badly. So in case you haven’t checked on elevators please do it now. Then again maybe I am the only one who wouldn’t check. We loved Lisbon and Portugal and are doing the Pride TA with you all and will see you there. We are heading to Albuferia the day we arrive and staying in an AirBnb on the beach.

Mike and Jewell Frederick MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do the cabs generally use the Meter from the get go or do you have to remind them to turn it on? We will be 4 adults with a total of 4 suitcases and probably 4 carryons. Hopefully there different size cabs that can handle that?

We’ve never had a problem with the drivers using the meter. The cabs are all painted in a beige color and are smaller sized cars. Once you see how narrow some of the streets are, you will understand why. We always stay in the Alhambra and it’s crazy narrow there. You’ll need two cabs to get to your lodging. They’re really inexpensive and probably less than hiring a driver.

Lisbon is such a great place. Don’t miss the Carriage Museum and for sure go to an authentic Fado dinner. Also a great walking city. Be ready for some hills!

I would imagine that on board the Star Pride customer service can exchange some dollars for euros. Don't know if they charge a transaction fee in addition to the conversion rate. Possibly there are ATM machines at or near the port. But, don't want to chance it. My understanding, from various sources, is that one uses a US Bank Debit Card with Chip and PIN to obtain euros from an ATM machine in Lisbon. If you obtain enough euros for your entire stay, then you only pay one transaction fee. I'll use euros for transportation, restaurants, and admission fees. and won't use a credit card for anything. Apartment is already paid through credit card.

Can someone fill me in on the event spaces aboard the Star Pride?

Amphora: I believe it to be the main restaurant. Buffet Breakfast and Lunch. Dining Room for Dinner.

Candles: Is this a specialty Steakhouse type restaurant? Is one able to eat there anytime or is it restricted?

Sky Bar and Grill: Guess you can eat there at anytime.

Compass Rose: I think this is where music and possibly dancing go on.

Yacht Club: Is this just a room to relax and have a drink. Believe you can get coffee and sandwiches also.

What about the Bars or Lounges on board. How many and what are they called?

Thanks...................................

FL Storm: I hope someone with real knowledge answers you...but.. from my research AmphorA is open only for dinner with breakfast and lunch in the Verandah/Candles space. And I thought the Sky Bar was just a bar, no grill. I am looking forward to researching this matter personally. ;)

FL Storm: I hope someone with real knowledge answers you...but.. from my research AmphorA is open only for dinner with breakfast and lunch in the Verandah/Candles space. And I thought the Sky Bar was just a bar, no grill. I am looking forward to researching this matter personally. ;)

You are 100% correct. I did pull up a website that gave the breakdown of the dining facilities aboard the Star Pride.

Yes, Amphora, the main dining room, is only open for dinner from 6:30 PM seating.

Yes, the Verandah is the buffet that is open for breakfast and lunch. Becomes Candles for dinner. Not sure what the status is with Candles as it states reservations are required and may be made only once per cruise. Candles does seem like a specialty restaurant that we are used to on other cruises. Don't know if you have to pay extra or not.

The article says that it is the Sky Bar & Grill, I guess featuring hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.

Also, at the Yacht Club one can get various types of coffee and continental items like pastries, bagels, etc.

The two entertainment venues seem to be the Compass Rose and the Lounge.

Normally on these trips I leave nothing to chance. My wife depends upon my planning to insure the good and hopefully no bad and ugly. :cool:

Yes, you are right - Amphora is open only for dinner. Breakfast and lunch is in the Veranda/Candles with tables inside or outside. Dinner at Candles is by reservation only, with everyone having an opportunity to eat there once - no charge to eat there. After everyone has had their one Candles dinner, you may be able to eat there again. There is a different menu (compared to Amphora) with excellent steaks and other entrees; the Candles menu is the same every night. I just got off the Pride yesterday. We had dinner at Candles twice. Our sailing was not booked at capacity (130 passengers), so people were able to get a second Candles reservation if they wanted. Overall we enjoyed the food in all venues.

The literature in our room indicated that the Veranda was open until 10am for breakfast, but while eating breakfast, we were advised of "buffet last call" at 9:30am while dining there. There is a breakfast and lunch menu every day and/or you may do the buffet. Room service is excellent and we did room service a couple of mornings - once when we slept in and another day when we had a early excursion planned.

Sky Bar is just a bar - no food. If you're familiar with HAL's Explorer's Lounge, the Yacht Club is similar, just on a smaller scale, with coffee, sandwiches and light snacks available all day until 6pm. The Compass Lounge is somewhat like a piano player lounge with a young duo who perform with the piano and he plays guitar. There is another couple who perform outside at the Star Bar, usually at sail aways and the evening of the on deck barbecue. There is also the Lounge where nightly port presentations are given....where the crew talent show is....the Captain's Welcome reception - the staff serves drinks here.

Edited by jmbklj